Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Ping trace telnet monitoring script Post 302539275 by marmellata on Saturday 16th of July 2011 06:27:35 AM
Old 07-16-2011
Ping trace telnet monitoring script

Hello, it is my first post Smilie
I need to implement some monitoring tools in a script, ping telnet traceroute

I found this one to ping, it works,
Code:
#!/bin/sh
for i in `cat /tmp/PingStatus.txt`
do
  ping -c 5 -w 5 -n $i | grep -q "bytes from" && echo "$i is OK"  || opcmsg object=PING a=OS msg_grp=OpC severity=critical msg_text="PING  BROKEN on $line"
done

but I would also need to check traceroute and telnet on different ports 80,21,9000... towards different servers,routers. How can I implement it ?

thanks a lot!

Last edited by Scott; 07-17-2011 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ping and telnet

I can ping other computers in my office. I can telnet other users in my office but i cannot get out of the office network. If i try to go out side of my network it cannot find host. Any ideas? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
5 Replies

2. AIX

Ping/Telnet is not happening

Hi All, We are not able to ping to a AIX box...Network is ok..when we give ping from that AIX box..it is giving 0821-067 ping: The socket creation call failed.there is no enough buffer space for the requested socket operation. refresh -s inetd is also giving socket error. Please help to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b_manu78
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

can ping but can not telnet UNIX

I have one problem and it is giving me hard time I can ping my windows machine root@x1ChXpress:/sbin >ping 192.168.129.66 192.168.129.66 is alive root@x1ChXpress:/sbin >netstat -rn Routing Table: Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring script (Ping, MySQL)

Hi guys - Relatively new to shell programming so please bare with me (I bet everyone says that!) I'm faced with a problem: I need a shell script to do the following: Connect to a MySQL database and pull all entrys from the nodes field in a table called 'nodes' These nodes will then be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveomcgee
1 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

no telnet, ping ok...

We have a Sun Solaris Netra 20 server. Our O&M Server gets Alarm Processor not responding. When Alarm occurs, you can ping the sun server but cannot telnet it. We keep getting Interrupt level not serviced. var/adm/message log is > tail -f messages Apr 12 20:09:56 cama pcisch: PCI-device:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ping and telnet - HP-UX

Hi all, I am not sure if my problem is specific to HP-UX or not. Hopefully someone can tell me what's wrong. I have a server name server1 10.100.50.10 in the /etc/hosts file and if I do a ping server1, it shows the right IP address. However, if I run telnet server1, it is not using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies

7. AIX

ping OK - telnet refused

Hi, After a crash of our older AIX server it happend as it is in the title: ping is ok, but telnet: What it can be this strange thing? Franci (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frajer
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ping,telnet, traceroute

can you provide the command in solaris8 if I wanted to ping,telnet, traceroute an IP address with a port? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping and telnet timeout

Hello, I need help, I have the following which save in the result file ping and telnet:port test. Basically the script works but I should implement a check on ping and telnet command so that ping has 5 seconds threshold and telnet (more important) 10 seconds. Over that threshold ping and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmellata
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell script to Telnet multiple node , Ping some IP and print output

Hi Team, Need shell script to Telnet multiple node , Ping some IP and print output like pass or fail. Need this script to check reachability of multiple nodes at same time. Help me. I use this but not working... Eg. in this script i need to telnet... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Mankar
4 Replies
MRTG-PING-PROBE(1)					      General Commands Manual						MRTG-PING-PROBE(1)

NAME
mrtg-ping-probe - ping probe module for Multi Router Traffic Grapher DESCRIPTION
mrtg-ping-probe is a ping probe module for MRTG 2.x. It is used to monitor the round trip time and packet loss to networked devices. MRTG uses the output of mrtg-ping-probe to generate graphs visualizing minimum and maximum round trip times or packet loss. mrtg-ping-probe is not run directly, but is called by MRTG as a helper when it needs to determine ping time to a host. Act responsibly: do not use mrtg-ping-probe to ping devices without the owner's permission. Just imagine if 10,000 people decided to ping your hosts! mrtg-ping-probe is meant to be used within your network to get round trip time performance figures for your network. OPTIONS
To use mrtg-ping-probe you need to configure MRTG to call it from within the definition of a target host. This is done in the MRTG config file, which is usually /etc/mrtg.conf. Here's an example snippet: change the target name and IP address to suit your needs. Target[your.target.ping]: `/usr/bin/mrtg-ping-probe 123.456.789.123` SetEnv[your.target.ping]: MRTG_INT_IP="123.456.789.123" MRTG_INT_DESCR="ping" MaxBytes[your.target.ping]: 100 AbsMax[your.target.ping]: 200 Options[your.target.ping]: gauge, growright YLegend[your.target.ping]: ping time (ms) ShortLegend[your.target.ping]: ms Legend1[your.target.ping]: Maximum Round Trip Time in ms Legend2[your.target.ping]: Minimum Round Trip Time in ms Legend3[your.target.ping]: Maximal 5 Minute Maximum Round Trip Time in ms Legend4[your.target.ping]: Maximal 5 Minute Minimum Round Trip Time in ms LegendI[your.target.ping]:  Max: LegendO[your.target.ping]:  Min: Pay close attention to the backticks in the first line which tell MRTG to execute the nominated external program. Note also that you need to use the "gauge" option, since the results of subsequent ping probes are independant values and not an incrementing counter. SEE ALSO
mrtg(1). The latest release of mrtg-ping-probe can be found on the web at http://pwo.de/projects/mrtg/ AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jonathan Oxer <jon@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 14, 2003 MRTG-PING-PROBE(1)