Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Find and replace txt between two strings in flat file Post 302539149 by itkamaraj on Friday 15th of July 2011 11:51:55 AM
Old 07-15-2011
Code:
$ cat replace.txt 
books.amazon='Let me read'
news.bestseller='xyz'

$ sed -i 's/=.*/=NONFOUND/' replace.txt 

$ cat replace.txt 
books.amazon=NONFOUND
news.bestseller=NONFOUND

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK find/replace 2 strings in one shot

Friends, I have a file with contents like: interface Serial0/4/0/0/1/1/1/1:0 encapsulation mfr multilink group 101 interface Serial0/4/0/0/1/1/1/2:0 encapsulation ppp multilink group 101 I just have to repace mfr with ppp and ppp with mfr in a single shot. I tried using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrijith1
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find and replace strings in multiple files

Hi All, Iam new to unix, I need to find string and replace it in the file name. Like text_123_0.txt,text_123_1.txt,text_123_2.txt. I need to search 123 and replace it with 234 . Is there any unix command to replace them in single command since i have 5 directories. So i need to go each and every... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldeveloper
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add extra a field in a flat txt file ?

Hi all, I did not use UNIX for a long time, now i need to make a flat file with extra field, can you help me with the code ? 1. I create a last line of each log from each system and make it in a flat text file (seperate by a pipe |) mv current.log old tail -1 sanfrancisco.log > current.log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: britney
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a string with contents of a txt file containing multiple lines of strings

Hello everyone, ive been trying to replace a string "kw01" in an xml file with the contents of a txt file having multiple lines. im a unix newbie and all the sed combinations i tried resulted to being garbled. Below is the contents of the txt file: RAISEDATTIME --------------------... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find lines in a .txt contains the strings I want

I have a .txt contains a lot of lines. Now I want to write a shell script to find out all the lines which contain the strings I want, and print these lines. For example: A.txt when you post any code you can easily do this highlighting your code and then click you should do a Google... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henryyy
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace the .txt file between two strings in XML file

Hi i am having XML file with many number of lines,I need to replace between two strings with .txt file using awk. For ex <PersonInfoShipTo ------------------------------ /> My requirement is to replace the content between <PersonInfoShipTo ------------------------------ /> help me. Thanks... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padmanabhan
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple strings and replace single string

Hi, following Perl code i used for finding multiple strings and replace with single string. code: #!/usr/bin/perl my @files = <*.txt>; foreach $fileName (@files) { print "$fileName\n"; my $searchStr = ',rdata\)' | ',,rdata\)' | ', ,rdata\)'; my $replaceStr =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chettyravi
2 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

2 Questions: replace text in txt file, add text to end of txt file

so... Lets assume I have a text file. The text file contains multiple "#" symbols. I want to replace all thos "#"s with a STRING using DOS/Batch I want to add a certain TEXT to the end of each line. How can I do this WITHOUT aid of sed, grep or anything linux related ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Find and Replace Text Between Two Strings or Words

I am looking for a sed in which I can recognize all of the text in between two indicators and then replace it with a place holder. For instance, the 1st indicator is a list of words "no|noone|havent" and the 2nd indicator is a list of punctuation ".|,|!".From a sentence such as "noone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed find 2 strings and replace one

Hi Everyone, I want to find this 2 strings in a single line a file and replace the second string. this is the line i need to find <param name="user" value="CORE_BI"/> find user and CORE_BI and replace only CORE_BI with admin so finally the line should look like this. <param... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shajay12
5 Replies
NEWS(1) 							   USER COMMANDS							   NEWS(1)

NAME
news - display system news SYNOPSIS
news [-adDeflnpvxs] [[article1] [article2] ..] DESCRIPTION
The news command keeps you informed of news concerning the system. Each news item is contained in a separate file in the /var/lib/sysnews directory. Anyone having write permission to this directory can create a news file. If you run the news command without any flags, it displays every unread file in the /var/lib/sysnews directory. Each file is preceded by an appropriate header. To avoid reporting old news, the news command stores a currency time. The news command con- siders your currency time to be the date the $HOME/.news_time file was last modified. Each time you read the news, the modification time of this file changes to that of the reading. Only news item files posted after this time are considered unread. OPTIONS
-a, --all Display all news, also the already read news. -d, --datestamp Add a date stamp to each article name printed. this can only be used with the -nl flags. -D, --datefmt <fmt> Specify a date format, see the strftime(3) man page for more details. the default format is (%b %d %Y) -f, --newsdir <dir> Read news from an alternate newsdir. -l, --oneperline One article name per line. -n, --names Only show the names of news articles. -p, --page Pipe articles through $PAGER or more(1) if the $PAGER environment variable is not set. -s, --articles Reports the number of news articles. MAINTAINER OPTIONS
-e, --expire # Expire news older than # days. -x, --exclude a,b,c A comma separated list of articles which may not be expired. if a file named .noexpire exists in the /var/lib/sysnews direcory, filenames are read from it also. names in this file may be comma separated, and/or one per line. AUTHOR
Charles, <int@link.xs4all.nl> Linux 18 January 1995 NEWS(1)