Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Substituting a word by different word in variable Post 302539031 by aks_1902 on Friday 15th of July 2011 02:53:56 AM
Old 07-15-2011
Substituting a word by different word in variable

Hello Exprets,

I have a requirement where i have to subtitue a word with another word.
Code:
$eachline| sed 's/[^/]*$//'

a) $eachline will hold a value a path
for example
Code:
user/oracle/Test_admin/myfolder/bakup/part_bkptemp_part_bkp_repeated/list.txt

b)
Code:
$eachline| sed 's/[^/]*$//'

will give me the value like
Code:
user/oracle/Test_admin/myfolder/bakup/part_bkptemp_part_bkp_repeated/

removing the last word

my requirement is
Code:
some_unix_command($eachline| sed 's/[^/]*$//')

so that output will come as
Code:
user/oracle/Test_admin/myfolder/bakup_new/part_bkptemp_part_bkp_repeated/

here i am replacing backup by backup_new

Please let me know if i am not clear.

thanks you in advance

Last edited by Franklin52; 07-15-2011 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code and data samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting a user Inputted word into a command

I am creating a menu driven system and i want to show the last login times of different users, instead of using the 'last' command i wanted to know if there is anyway i could make a brief search tool where the user can input which user they are looking for and then the login times for that specific... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expression for replacing the fist word with a last word in line

I have a File with the below contents File1 I have no prior experience in unix. I have just started to work in unix. My experience in unix is 0. My Total It exp is 3 yrs. I need to replace the first word in each line with the last word for example unix have no prior experience in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kri_swami
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read data word by word from given file & storing in variables

File having data in following format : file name : file.txt -------------------- 111111;name1 222222;name2 333333;name3 I want to read this file so that I can split these into two paramaters i.e. 111111 & name1 into two different variables(say value1 & value2). i.e val1=11111 &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjoshi98
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to search for a particular word in files and print the word and path name

Hi, i am new to unix shell scripting and i need a script which would search for a particular word in all the files present in a directory. The output should have the word and file path name. For example: "word" "path name". Thanks for the reply in adv,:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: virtual_45
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find EXACT word in files, just the word: no prefix, no suffix, no 'similar', just the word

I have a file that has the words I want to find in other files (but lets say I just want to find my words in a single file). Those words are IDs, so if my word is ZZZ4, outputs like aaZZZ4, ZZZ4bb, aaZZZ4bb, ZZ4, ZZZ, ZyZ4, ZZZ4.8 (or anything like that) WON'T BE USEFUL. I need the whole word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicchan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch entries in front of specific word till next word

Hi all I have following file which I have to edit for research purpose file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.png body, div, table, thead, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, p { font-family: "Liberation Sans"; font-size: x-small; } Drug: KRP-104 QD Drug: Placebo Drug: Metformin|Drug:... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priyanka Chopra
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a word and increment the number in the word & save into new files

Hi All, I am looking for a perl/awk/sed command to auto-increment the numbers line in file, P1.tcl: run_build_model sparc_ifu_dec run_drc set_faults -model path_delay -atpg_effectiveness -fault_coverage add_delay_paths P1 set_atpg -abort_limit 1000 run_atpg -ndetects 1000 I would like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to check word count of each word in file

I am trying to figure out to find word count of each word from my file sample file hi how are you hi are you ok sample out put hi 1 how 1 are 1 you 1 hi 1 are 1 you 1 ok 1 wc -l filename is not helping , i think we will have to split the lines and count and then print and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to search for a word in column header that fully matches the word not partially in awk?

I have a multicolumn text file with header in the first row like this The headers are stored in an array called . which contains I want to search for each elements of this array from that multicolumn text file. And I am using this awk approach for ii in ${hdr} do gawk -vcol="$ii" -F... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Atta
1 Replies
GLSAMPLEMASKI(3G)						   OpenGL Manual						 GLSAMPLEMASKI(3G)

NAME
glSampleMaski - set the value of a sub-word of the sample mask C SPECIFICATION
void glSampleMaski(GLuint maskNumber, GLbitfield mask); PARAMETERS
maskNumber Specifies which 32-bit sub-word of the sample mask to update. mask Specifies the new value of the mask sub-word. DESCRIPTION
glSampleMaski sets one 32-bit sub-word of the multi-word sample mask, GL_SAMPLE_MASK_VALUE. maskIndex specifies which 32-bit sub-word of the sample mask to update, and mask specifies the new value to use for that sub-word. maskIndex must be less than the value of GL_MAX_SAMPLE_MASK_WORDS. Bit B of mask word M corresponds to sample 32 x M + B. NOTES
glSampleMaski is available only if the GL version is 3.2 or greater, or if the ARB_texture_multisample extension is supported. ERRORS
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if maskIndex is greater than or equal to the value of GL_MAX_SAMPLE_MASK_WORDS. SEE ALSO
glGenRenderbuffers(), glBindRenderbuffer(), glRenderbufferStorageMultisample(), glFramebufferRenderbuffer(), glDeleteRenderbuffers() COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Khronos Group. This material may be distributed subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Open Publication License, v 1.0, 8 June 1999. http://opencontent.org/openpub/. AUTHORS
opengl.org opengl.org 06/10/2014 GLSAMPLEMASKI(3G)