Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users When a process will go to 'D' state? Post 302538932 by Corona688 on Thursday 14th of July 2011 02:04:15 PM
Old 07-14-2011
D means device driver. The process is suspended while it waits for a system call of some sort to finish, often a read() or write(). It's unkillable in this state.

lockd is part of the kernel, not truly a process. I think it's part of the kernel system that handles nfs. The message about lockd you see is related to NFS problems.

Maybe this will help you:

Debian User Forums • View topic - kernel: lockd: cannot monitor

Anyway, NFS is a very elderly protocol by now and has a few unsolvable flaws, you might consider alternatives like CIFS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process State

If your process makes a system call, then while the system call code is being run in the kernel, is your process READY, RUNNING or BLOCKED? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ianlow
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

child process state

Hi all, I have one requirement,I have two shell programs one is parent and the other one is child . from parent script i need to execute/trigger/call child script as background job. my requirement is after calling child script i want the child process information i.e PID of child weather it is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smreddy
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix script (sh): state of ftp process

Hi guys, I'm writing a script in which I have to get file from a remote host by ftp. The problem is that the remote machine could be very slow, not connected or ok. To resolve this problem, I write this: echo "verbose on" > ftprap.cmd echo "prompt " >> ftprap.cmd echo "ascii"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: egiz81
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

retrieve process state programatically

Assume I spawn a process on (csh) command line, like > du -a / >& /dev/null & which creates a process with id 1234. Now, I can suspend/resume that process with > kill -STOP 1234 > kill -CONT 1234 and can query the process state via 'jobs' or 'ps. How can I though query that state... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andre_Merzky
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to Force KILL State -D Process/PID?

Hi Expert, I am not able to kill certain user process as root. I have tried using: pkill -u uname skill KILL -u uname kill -9 PID *** I have not using killall yet, since this server has more than 100 users online atm. PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: regmaster
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Kill process which is in hang state

Hi, Can anyone help to create a script that will kill the process which is in hang state. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A.Santhosh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with a script for checking the state of a process

Hello Everyone, I have a process that should be always running. Unfortunately, this process is getting down almost every 10 minutes. I want to make a script that verify the state of this process: If the process is up, the script shouldn't do nothing and if it's down he should run it. Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

8. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
FALSELOGIN(1)						      General Commands Manual						     FALSELOGIN(1)

NAME
falselogin - a false login shell SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/falselogin DESCRIPTION
falselogin is a small application which can deny the user to log in the system displaying a custom message. CONFIGURATION
The configuration file for falselogin is /etc/falselogin.conf. Everything you write into this file will be written at login except for some special strings which will be substituted when they appear in the configuration file. They are: %mail% string Number of mail messages in the user's mailbox. %user% string Username. %sysname% string Sysname from uname. (eg: Linux) %nodename%, %host% strings The hostname. (eg: master) %release% string Linux kernel version number (eg: 2.0.36) %version% string Linux version number (eg: #8 Sun Dec 20 12:02:31 CET 1998) %machine% string Machine type (eg: i686) %debian_version% string Debian version from /etc/debian_version PARAMETERS
--wait, -w waitfor If waitfor is a number, falselogin will sleep waitfor seconds before exiting; if waitfor matches the word 'enter' then falselogin will wait for the user to input the 'enter' key AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Tibor Koleszar <t.koleszar@somogy.hu>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system. FALSELOGIN(1)