Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: df vs du for directory sizes
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users df vs du for directory sizes Post 302538909 by kalak on Thursday 14th of July 2011 01:16:43 PM
Old 07-14-2011
du reports usage for the files in directories, while df reports on the filesystem itself. Filesystem overhead like a journal, allocation tables, etc. that take space on the filesystem will show as being used by df, but will not show with du, as they are not userspace accessible. Make a new, empty filesystem and du will should nothing but the cluster(s) for the directory(ies) in it, where df will show only the userspace accessible files on the filesystem.

example of a 2G drive ext3, so journal and lost+found directory:
Code:
$df -h /mnt
/dev/sdb1             1.9G   35M  1.8G   2% /mnt
$du -sh /mnt
20K    /mnt

the same with mkfs.vfat (no journal, small allocation table, smaller allocation of for the single directoy):
Code:
$df -h /mnt
/dev/sdb1             1.9G  4.0K  1.9G   1% /mnt
$du -sh /mnt
4.0K    /mnt

My guess is that you've got 200M worth of journal and filesystem allocation information, so you show 1.7G on df (1.7 GB of files) and 1.9G on du (1.7 + 200M filesystem stuff)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory sizes

Can someone tell me how to read these damn sizes. i mean, i prefer to see sizes in MB but that is not the case when you do an ls -l on directories. i have a had time converting these to MB just for verification purposes, what would a directory size like this = 3499990308 represent in MB or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on adding file sizes

Hi I need to take a list of files that are defined by an ls -ltr or grep for particular file names - and add up the byte size colum which is field 5 seperated by a space. I tried to do this but I think I am way off: for file in 'ls -ltr | grep 20070916 | nawk -F" " '{temp+=5} END {print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for checking and reporting file sizes in a directory.

Hi, Need help for a Script for checking and reporting database file sizes in a directory. Request you to please give your valuable inputs. Thanks a lot in advance. Best Regards, Marconi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare total directory structure and get sizes of all f on two different servers

Hello every one, Iam newbie to this forum and shell programming &scripting. i needed to compare each and every folder of two separate servers. Actually I have copied some directory structure from one server to second server, to build on second server the files all should be copied... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory sizes loop optimization

I have the following script: #!/usr/bin/ksh export MDIR=/datafiles NAME=$1 SERVER=$2 DIRECTORY=$3 DATABASE=$4 ID=$5 export dirlist=`/usr/bin/ssh -q $ID@$SERVER find $DIRECTORY -type d -print` for dir in $dirlist do SIZE=`</dev/null /usr/bin/ssh -q $ID@$SERVER du -ks $dir` echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: la_womn
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directories sizes

Hello everyone, can anybody help me in finding a way to obtain a list of all the directories and their sizes. I would like to be able to run this and obtain an output like a tree structure with each branch saying how much space it is taking up . Hope you can point me in the right direction.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file sizes

I have 2 big files in the size of gb. They are same with respect to content, both are “,” delimited. Now both of them are created by two different processes but has the same logic. The problem is they are differing only in few bytes for e.g one file is 202195751 bytes other is 202195773. So... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two file sizes.

Hi everyone! I need to compare two file sizes. One of them (size) will be stored in a flat file and the other coming from a listed file. I can now get the first file size using: SIZE=`ls -l $DOCTYPE | awk '{print $5}'` 1. How can I store this value in a flat file? 2. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list files names and sizes in a directory and output result to the file?

Hi , I'm trying to list the files and output is written to a file. But when I execute the command , the output file is being listed. How to exclude it ? /tmp file1.txt file2.txt ls -ltr |grep -v '-' | awk print {$9, $5} > output.txt cat output.txt file1.txt file2.txt output.txt (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldeveloper
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Partition Sizes

Good Morning, What's a good way to get partition/slice sizes down to the byte on Solaris 9? I've tried a few ways, but only see results like 8.21GB which rounds the number. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
5 Replies
HTML::FormatPS(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 HTML::FormatPS(3)

NAME
HTML::FormatPS - Format HTML as PostScript SYNOPSIS
use HTML::TreeBuilder; $tree = HTML::TreeBuilder->new->parse_file("test.html"); use HTML::FormatPS; $formatter = HTML::FormatPS->new( FontFamily => 'Helvetica', PaperSize => 'Letter', ); print $formatter->format($tree); Or, for short: use HTML::FormatPS; print HTML::FormatPS->format_file( "test.html", 'FontFamily' => 'Helvetica', 'PaperSize' => 'Letter', ); DESCRIPTION
The HTML::FormatPS is a formatter that outputs PostScript code. Formatting of HTML tables and forms is not implemented. You might specify the following parameters when constructing the formatter object (or when calling format_file or format_string): PaperSize What kind of paper should we format for. The value can be one of these: A3, A4, A5, B4, B5, Letter, Legal, Executive, Tabloid, Statement, Folio, 10x14, Quarto. The default is "A4". PaperWidth The width of the paper, in points. Setting PaperSize also defines this value. PaperHeight The height of the paper, in points. Setting PaperSize also defines this value. LeftMargin The left margin, in points. RightMargin The right margin, in points. HorizontalMargin Both left and right margin at the same time. The default value is 4 cm. TopMargin The top margin, in points. BottomMargin The bottom margin, in points. VerticalMargin Both top and bottom margin at the same time. The default value is 2 cm, PageNo This parameter determines if we should put page numbers on the pages. The default value is true; so you have to set this value to 0 in order to suppress page numbers. (The "No" in "PageNo" means number/numero!) FontFamily This parameter specifies which family of fonts to use for the formatting. Legal values are "Courier", "Helvetica" and "Times". The default is "Times". FontScale This is a scaling factor for all the font sizes. The default value is 1. For example, if you want everything to be almost three times as large, you could set this to 2.7. If you wanted things just a bit smaller than normal, you could set it to .92. Leading This option (pronounced "ledding", not "leeding") controls how much is space between lines. This is a factor of the font size used for that line. Default is 0.1 -- so between two 12-point lines, there will be 1.2 points of space. StartPage Assuming you have PageNo on, StartPage controls what the page number of the first page will be. By default, it is 1. So if you set this to 87, the first page would say "87" on it, the next "88", and so on. NoProlog If this option is set to a true value, HTML::FormatPS will make a point of not emitting the PostScript prolog before the document. By default, this is off, meaning that HTML::FormatPS will emit the prolog. This option is of interest only to advanced users. NoTrailer If this option is set to a true value, HTML::FormatPS will make a point of not emitting the PostScript trailer at the end of the document. By default, this is off, meaning that HTML::FormatPS will emit the bit of PostScript that ends the document. This option is of interest only to advanced users. SEE ALSO
HTML::Formatter TO DO
o Support for some more character styles, notably including: strike-through, underlining, superscript, and subscript. o Support for Unicode. o Support for Win-1252 encoding, since that's what most people mean when they use characters in the range 0x80-0x9F in HTML. o And, if it's ever even reasonably possible, support for tables. I would welcome email from people who can help me out or advise me on the above. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1995-2002 Gisle Aas, and 2002- Sean M. Burke. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. AUTHOR
Current maintainer: Sean M. Burke <sburke@cpan.org> Original author: Gisle Aas <gisle@aas.no> perl v5.12.1 2004-06-02 HTML::FormatPS(3)