Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Help with Ubuntu Linux Server Password Problem... Post 302538891 by zixzix01 on Thursday 14th of July 2011 12:18:30 PM
Old 07-14-2011
Quote:
Fail to login to someone's account n+1 times.
Nice...

Quote:
What are you logging into, from what, using what? The procedure for using SSH keys from terminal is actually really easy.
Well I'm using Secure CRT software utilizing SSH connection. As mentioned, I have set up Public/Private key combos on the UNIX machines. I've let CRT software create a hash. No problem on UNIX. Created my .ssh folder, the authorized_keys, and known_hosts files on the UNIX side. All works fine.

Did the same on Linux, and it didn't work. And, btw I think i have disabled public key on SSH config because it wasn't working.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

network config problem - how to set the server for others to ssh without password

Hi, I want to ssh the linux server without inputting the password, how can I config this server? Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Would like to install x86 desktop Ubuntu over AMD64 Ubuntu server

My intention was to build a dual boot XP Pro 64 and Ubuntu media server. I had installed the AMD64 version of Ubuntu 8.10 server and thought that I would be able to install Apache server. I need a GUI to work in. I tried to boot and install Mythbuntu 32 bit 8.10, but my machine now won't recognize... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: docflyboy
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mounting SunSolaris Filesystem on Linux Ubuntu Server

Can someone please help me out here. I have SunSolaris server that has a ridiculous about of space on it. several hundred gigabytes of space. There are lots of partitions on this server that has at least 100Gs on them. I want to mount just one of these partitions on my Linux server so I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

4. Ubuntu

problem in linux ubuntu 10.10 about mail command

Hi, My question is that is there any substitute command for mail in ubuntu because I'm trying to run it and it is showing error: command not found!! Will it need to download any specific package? If so please tell me how can I download that pkg. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nageshgautam
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

How to Build an Email Server on Ubuntu Linux?

hi there ! how SSH into my Ubuntu server to Build or Send an Email? is it true to use iRedMail? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fns4565
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File transfer between Linux server without password

Hi All, I am trying to generate SSH keys for file file transfer automation but facing issue while generating keys. And I tried from another directory but still facing same issue. Error : Open scripts/renu/.ssh/rsa_id failed : Is a directory Saving the key failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: renukeswar
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sftp,[put] all files that are .csv to server. Linux Ubuntu

Hello all, I am trying to sftp files to a server, I am using keys as authentication and I can connect with no problems. I can also put a sample file on the server. When I tried to automate this process with a .sh file I get the "couldn't canonicalize: Failure". This is my script: sftp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KidKoder
5 Replies
PAM_SSH(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						PAM_SSH(8)

NAME
pam_ssh -- authentication and session management with SSH private keys DESCRIPTION
The SSH authentication service module for PAM, pam_ssh provides functionality for two PAM categories: authentication and session management. SSH Authentication Module The SSH authentication component verifies the identity of a user by prompting the user for a passphrase and verifying that it can decrypt at least one of the user's SSH login keys using that passphrase. The following options may be passed to the authentication module: debug syslog(3) debugging information at LOG_DEBUG level. use_first_pass If the authentication module is not the first in the stack, and a previous module obtained the user's password, then that password is used to decrypt the user's SSH login keys. If this fails, then the authentication module returns failure without prompting the user for a passphrase. try_first_pass Similar to the use_first_pass option, except that if the previously obtained password fails to decrypt any of the SSH login keys, then the user is prompted for an SSH passphrase. try_first_pass has no effect if pam_ssh is the first module on the stack, or if no previous modules obtained the user's password. allow_blank_passphrase Allow SSH keys with no passphrase. If neither use_first_pass nor try_first_pass is specified, pam_ssh will unconditionally ask for an SSH passphrase. In addition to the above authentication procedure, all standard SSH keys (identity, id_rsa, id_dsa) for which the obtained password matches will be decrypted. SSH Session Management Module The SSH session management component initiates sessions by starting an SSH agent, passing it any SSH login keys it decrypted during the authentication phase, and sets the environment variables accordingly. The SSH session management component terminates the session by killing the previously started SSH agent by sending it a SIGTERM. The following options may be passed to the session management module: debug syslog(3) debugging information at LOG_DEBUG level. INFORMATION LEAKS
Be careful with the using the try_first_pass option when pam_ssh is the first authentication module because it will then leak information about existing users without login keys: such users will not be asked for a specific SSH passphrase, whereas non-existing users and existing users with login keys will be asked for a passphrase. FILES
$HOME/.ssh/identity $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa $HOME/.ssh/id_dsa OpenSSH DSA/RSA keys decrypted by pam_ssh. $HOME/.ssh/login-keys.d/ Location of (possibly symbolic links to) OpenSSH DSA/RSA keys used for authentication and decrypted by pam_ssh. /var/log/auth.log Usual log file for syslog(3) SEE ALSO
ssh-agent(1), syslog(3), pam.conf(5), pam(8). AUTHORS
Andrew J. Korty <ajk@iu.edu> wrote pam_ssh. Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote the original OpenPAM support code. Mark R V Murray wrote the original version of this manual page. Jens Peter Secher introduced the login-key concept. BSD
November 26, 2001 BSD