Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Help with Ubuntu Linux Server Password Problem... Post 302538870 by Corona688 on Thursday 14th of July 2011 11:49:30 AM
Old 07-14-2011
That you can't is really the point. If you could, so could an attacker.

Counting failed logins never struck me as a very good idea. Any attacker who knows you have Pam_Tally on can disable all your logins at the drop of a hat.

Are you logging in with ssh? Maybe they'd allow you to use ssh keys to login, with a password on the key.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

network config problem - how to set the server for others to ssh without password

Hi, I want to ssh the linux server without inputting the password, how can I config this server? Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Would like to install x86 desktop Ubuntu over AMD64 Ubuntu server

My intention was to build a dual boot XP Pro 64 and Ubuntu media server. I had installed the AMD64 version of Ubuntu 8.10 server and thought that I would be able to install Apache server. I need a GUI to work in. I tried to boot and install Mythbuntu 32 bit 8.10, but my machine now won't recognize... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: docflyboy
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mounting SunSolaris Filesystem on Linux Ubuntu Server

Can someone please help me out here. I have SunSolaris server that has a ridiculous about of space on it. several hundred gigabytes of space. There are lots of partitions on this server that has at least 100Gs on them. I want to mount just one of these partitions on my Linux server so I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

4. Ubuntu

problem in linux ubuntu 10.10 about mail command

Hi, My question is that is there any substitute command for mail in ubuntu because I'm trying to run it and it is showing error: command not found!! Will it need to download any specific package? If so please tell me how can I download that pkg. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nageshgautam
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

How to Build an Email Server on Ubuntu Linux?

hi there ! how SSH into my Ubuntu server to Build or Send an Email? is it true to use iRedMail? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fns4565
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File transfer between Linux server without password

Hi All, I am trying to generate SSH keys for file file transfer automation but facing issue while generating keys. And I tried from another directory but still facing same issue. Error : Open scripts/renu/.ssh/rsa_id failed : Is a directory Saving the key failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: renukeswar
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sftp,[put] all files that are .csv to server. Linux Ubuntu

Hello all, I am trying to sftp files to a server, I am using keys as authentication and I can connect with no problems. I can also put a sample file on the server. When I tried to automate this process with a .sh file I get the "couldn't canonicalize: Failure". This is my script: sftp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KidKoder
5 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine and append the indicated identity file to that machine's ~/.ssh/autho- rized_keys file. If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary.) NOTES
This program does not modify the permissions of any pre-existing files or directories. Therefore, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration, then the user's home, ~/.ssh folder, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file may need to have group writability disabled manu- ally, e.g. via chmod go-w ~ ~/.ssh ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine. SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)