Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search tip.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search tip. Post 302538758 by Amaravathi on Thursday 14th of July 2011 06:26:04 AM
Old 07-14-2011
---------- Post updated at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:55 PM ----------

grep -R "myword" *
would do the needful .

With this command you can search the keyword even in the subdirectory files also .

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

one teaching Tip

Student have huge interest about why so many expert choose use UNIX than MS Windows. I consider that SHARE & OPEN is key point.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 111000
2 Replies

2. Solaris

tip into 280R

I need to use tip from machine A serial port to machine B serial port. Can someone point me to an example of the correct cable to use? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dangral
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit of a help or just a tip

I am about to do a script that change the COST so i dont need to change each cost. The output looks like this. "OL_ID OL_LINK_COST ----------- ------------ 51 10 52 10 53 10 54 10 55 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maskot
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris; tip

plz explain TIP in solaris in detail. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: karman0931
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

a tip in python commands >> and <<

q = ((i + 2) * 6) >> 3 what's the meaning in python? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kazikamuntu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regexp tip

Hello, I'm just starting working on it. I'd like to get a tip For istance if I have a file like: a b c d e f .... and I wanna get: 1a & 2b & 3c 0d & 8e & 4f ..... I would like to use sed and come up with a regular expression that works.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tip: how to get the deepest directories

A couple of times there was the question: in a directory hierarchy how to display the deepest directories only. For example in Help with listing only subfolders. My hot solution at that time was (in short) find . -depth -type d | awk -F / 'NF>=p; {p=NF}' But another article has opened my eyes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadeInGermany
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Tip] A better echo

Often it has been said that echo is neither portable nor correct. Here is an input.txt: line1 line2 -n line4 -en line6 -x line8 Then the following fails with BSD/Linux/bash: while IFS= read line do echo "$line" done < input.txt It is elegantly improved by means of an echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadeInGermany
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tip: inotify cron

Dear members, moderators and others. While working on <insert project>, a need has surfaced to watch a directory, and when a file comes, to do appropriate action. So, i started writing some shell code, aware of linux inotify-tools package with inotifywait. Also, i'm seeing a lot of similar... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Peasant
1 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specifed size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks Treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=FILE use this FILE's size -s, --size=SIZE use this SIZE --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE is a number which may be followed by one of the following suffixes: KB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: `+' extend by, `-' reduce by, `<' at most, `>' at least, `/' round down to multiple of, `%' round up to multiple of. Note that the -r and -s options are mutually exclusive. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
Report truncate bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) The full documentation for truncate is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and truncate programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'truncate invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 TRUNCATE(1)