Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between buffered disk reads and cached reads? Post 302538491 by pinga123 on Wednesday 13th of July 2011 06:23:02 AM
Old 07-13-2011
Difference between buffered disk reads and cached reads?

I was analyzing the Disk read using hdparm utility.

This is what i got as a result.

Code:
# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  108 MB in  3.04 seconds =  35.51 MB/sec

Code:
# hdparm -T /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   3496 MB in  1.99 seconds = 1756.56 MB/sec

I m not sure what does Cache read and buffered disk read mean.

Please share your hdparm output for comparison purpose.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

scanf doesn´t reads spaces ???

hi all i have a program in C (Unix Solaris 5.7) and i want to read a string from keyboard, but the "scanf" doesn´t reads spaces. example: .... char name; .... printf("Enter your name: "); scanf("%s",&name); printf ("Your name is: %s", name); and if i write Kevin Costner ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

identify the unix processes performing high disk i/o reads and writes

I would like to write shell/perl script which identifies the top unix processes that are performing high disk I/O's or/and writes If any one knows the solution please help me? -Swamy (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avsswamy
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

identify the unix process performing high disk i/o reads and writes

Guys, Is there any UNIX command that captures the 'Unix process which is performing high disk I/O reads and writes'. can you help me in this? -Swamy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avsswamy
6 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Does vmstat -d give a count of actual physical writes/reads done to/from hard disk?

Hi, I am trying to find the reliability of 'vmstat -d' for showing the actual physical writes on sectors on hard disk. Can anyone please tell me if the numbers in the "sectors" field under "read" or "write" headers show a count of the actual write commands sent to disk from the low level... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Illumina reads remove duplicate...

After I using the search tool, I still can't find a solution that was related with my trouble. My input file: @HWI-ABC123_30DFGGDA:1:100:3:1234 ACGTAGTACCCGGGTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAA +HWI-ABC123_30DFGGDA:1:100:3:1234 hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh @HWI-ABC555_30DFGGDA:1:100:3:1234... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop in unix reads only first line

Hi, I am in need of help on reading through a file(servernames.dat) which has a list of server names, while it reads each file name it has to connect to that server and run another script, once it has executed the script on one server, it has to go back to the list of servernames to get the next... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yohasini
5 Replies

7. Linux

Dealing with a really high amount of reads merged

I'm trying to performance tune the I/O of my web server, which is at 41.1% reads merged (If my math is correct), which seems a tad high to just be going along with the defaults. Will modifying read_ahead_kb affect the value of "reads merged" in diskstats? If not, what's a good way of tracking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mapped reads using samtools flagstat options

Hey guys, Does anyone know how to calculate total number of mapped reads for a certain region of a bam file using samtools flagstat? I know to use flagstat for the whole bam file. but for a specific region of it... is there an option? Tnx ---------- Post updated at 12:27 PM ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo reads password from a .cfg file

cleanwork /saswork removes sas orphanded processes in the saswork directory. Subdirectories under sasem are sas94, sas92 and sasworks . I am getting the following error messages: 1. '/usr/bin/sudo -S apt-get update <~/opt/SiM/pos/ps/db_auth.cfg... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script that reads a file

I have below script to read a file line by line. How can I ensure that the loop will stop after last line. #!/bin/bash while read -r mod ver tarball; do echo $mod done < taskfile.txt (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
4 Replies
SRAW(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   SRAW(8)

NAME
sraw - benchmark raw scsi I/O performance under linux SYNOPSIS
sraw [ -fiv6 ] scsi-device [ bstart [ bstep ] ] DESCRIPTION
This program basically reads the specified scsi device and measures the throughput. Note that the filesystem *AND* the buffer cache are bypassed by this code, this program was designed to benchmark the naked scsi drivers by themselves without the need to account for the overhead of any other portion of the kernel. It also could be used to benchmark disk read throughput. This program does a series of reads of the disk, of consecutive areas on the disk. The device is first queried to determine the sector size for the device, and then the series of reads is begun. About 5.0 Mb is read from the device, and then the performance numbers are reported. Note that since the buffer cache is completely bypassed, there is no need to be concerned about cache hits or anything. Output of sraw is a set of lines, 4 numbers per line: blocksize, elapsed time, nblocks and throughput (in bytes per second). scsi-device is either a block device (e.g. /dev/sda, /dev/scd0) or a generic SCSI device (e.g. /dev/sg0). OPTIONS
-f set FUA (Force Unit Access) bit during read. Data is then read from media instead of internal drive cache. -i use legacy ioctl instead of new SG I/O layer (will not work on 2.6 kernel and block devices). -v more verbose output. -6 use 6-bytes instead of 10-bytes read command. In this case, only the first GB of data could be read from media. bstart starting block to check different zones on ZBR discs bstep factor for sequential stepping, default 1. Use 0 for reading always the same blocks (from cache) ERRORS
sraw could issue input/output errors when reading too many blocks at the same time from a block device like /dev/sda. To get rid of them, use /dev/sgN instead. AUTHOR
sraw was first written by Eric Youngdale. Extensions (-v, -f, -6, SG IO, man page) were written by Eric Delaunay. SEE ALSO
sg_dd(8) from sg3-utils package. AVAILABILITY
sraw is available at ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/ALPHA/scsi/ Nov 1993 SRAW(8)