Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /dev/null not writable
Operating Systems Solaris /dev/null not writable Post 302538194 by bin-doph on Tuesday 12th of July 2011 04:43:16 AM
Old 07-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
Neither the global zone nor the non global zone /dev/null change attempts will help.

As I already wrote, you need to modify the <zoneroot>/dev/null file from the global zone with zoneroot being the directory where your zone is installed.
Sorry, maybe I was unclear on that point. I did the chmod on the /dev/null file of the zone from inside the global zone. The /dev/null file of the global zone itself got the right permissions and is a link to the pseudo device file. However, the file of the zone keeps getting its permissions changed back to the wrong state right away and I'm pretty positive that it's not something 'homemade' (like a users script), just havn't figured out yet where to search for the source.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

>/dev/null

Maybe it's an stupid question but remeber... I'm Junior.. I use command line to run programs, and some of them gives a lot of information when, for example, you open a window or other actions. That's really bad because my terminal gets full of unwanted messages, so I use "bin file & >/dev/null"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null

Hi , I am importing some table from /dev/null i dont understand what is /dev/null Sorry i am new to UNIX sam71 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam71
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Q1 :/dev/null Q2 -A

Hi, Q1-What does nroff -ms > /dev/null Q2- What does mean -A under STAT column : ps aux |head -20 UTIL PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND root 516 93,0 0,0 12 12 - A 04 nov 3906:51 wait Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

4. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

/dev/null

Hi expert, May I know what is the difference between below cron tab entry ? 0,12 * * * * /abc/myscript.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 0,12 * * * * /abc/myscript.sh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olaris
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

/dev/null what is the use of it?

when do you use the path /dev/null (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: webmunkey23
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with /dev/null Please

Hello All and a Happy New year to yous guys. I'm running the below command on my AIX box and it keeps giving me the message that the file doesn't exist. I know the file don't exist, but I don't want to see the error. 2>/dev/null doesn't work. bash-3.00$ ls -l C* | wc -l 2>/dev/null ls:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

2>/dev/null

Friends have the following problem a search may not find anything which would correct example: ls -ltr *prueba.txt | nawk '{ print $9 }' > Procesar.dat 2>/dev/null When he finds nothing gives me the following error ls: prueba.txt: No such file or directory because 2> / dev / null... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
4 Replies
getzoneid(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					     getzoneid(3C)

NAME
getzoneid, getzoneidbyname, getzonenamebyid - map between zone id and name SYNOPSIS
#include <zone.h> zoneid_t getzoneid(void); zoneid_t getzoneidbyname(const char *name); ssize_t getzonenamebyid(zoneid_t id, char *buf, size_t buflen); DESCRIPTION
The getzoneid() function returns the zone ID of the calling process. The getzoneidbyname() function returns the zone ID corresponding to the named zone, if that zone is currently active. If name is NULL, the function returns the zone ID of the calling process. The getzonenamebyid() function stores the name of the zone with ID specified by id in the location specified by buf. The bufsize argument specifies the size in bytes of the buffer. If the buffer is too small to hold the complete null-terminated name, the first bufsize bytes of the name are stored in the buffer. A buffer of size {ZONENAME_MAX} is sufficient to hold any zone name. If buf is NULL or bufsize is 0, the name is not copied into the buffer. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, getzoneid() and getzoneidbyname() return a non-negative zone ID. Otherwise, getzoneidbyname() returns -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. On successful completion, the getzonenamebyid() function returns the buffer size required to hold the full null-terminated name. Otherwise, it returns -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The getzoneidbyname() function will fail if: EFAULT The name argument is non-null and points to an illegal address. EINVAL A zone with the indicated name is not active. ENAMETOOLONG The length of the name argument exceeds {ZONENAME_MAX}. The getzonenamebyid() function will fail if: EINVAL A zone with the specified ID is not active. EFAULT The buf argument points to an illegal address. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Intro(2), chroot(2), malloc(3C), attributes(5), zones(5) SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2004 getzoneid(3C)