Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find character position in file? Post 302537894 by Franklin52 on Monday 11th of July 2011 03:06:48 AM
Old 07-11-2011
Another one:
Code:
echo 123x567 | awk -Fx '{print length($1)+1}'

This User Gave Thanks to Franklin52 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character in a specific position of a file

Hi, I need to add Pipe (|) at 5th and 18th position of all records a file. How can I do this? I tried to add it at 5th position using the below code. It didnt work. Please help!!! awk '{substr($0,5,1) ~ /|/}{print}' $input_file > $temp_file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort file by character position

Hi! I need to sort file by certain column (column position from-to). I tried sort command, but it works wrong. Example: 0001 5214521 0148 6712145 I need to sort this 2 lines by values from position 9 to 12 (bold) Output: 0148 6712145 0001 5214521 Is there any way how to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadinnne
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a semi-repeating character in position 1 of a file

My file is in a good column format but several lines in the file begin with a zero. I'm in KSH and looking for a command to remove this zero and keep the text next to it. I don't want any of the zeros in the other columns removed. Below is a snip from the file... all I need to do is remove that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find position of character in multiple strings in a file

Greetings. I have a file with information like this: AMNDHRKEOEU?AMNDHRKEOEU?AMNDHRKEOEU?AMNDHRKEOEU? AMNDHRKEEU?AMNDHREOEU? AMNDHREU?AHRKEOEU?AMNDHRKEU?AMNDKEOEU? What I need to extract is the position, in every line, of every occurrence of '?' A desired output would be something... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
6 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Replace nth position character of all the lines in file

I want to replace 150th character of all the lines in a file using sed or awk... searched the forums but didn't find exact answer (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove " character from 25th position in file

Hi All, I want to remove " character if present in position 25th in CSV file. Each field in CSV file is separated by , and enclosed in "" (enclosed using double quotes) For example "1","2","3",........."123 Tom " is Good boy","26",........"45" Where "1" first position character, ...... 25th... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Find position of character with awk

Hi Guys! Could anyone help me with?.. I have a line which says BCVGF%6$#900 .....How can we know which position is for % or say $ by command or script?There is any way to get a prompt by any script? Thanks a lot (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find nth position of character in string

Hi guyz i want to know nth position of character in string. For ex. var="UK,TK,HK,IND,AUS" now if we see 1st occurance of , is at 3 position, 2nd at 6,..4th at 13 position. 1st position we can find through INDEX, but what about 2nd,3rd and 4th or may be upto nth position. ? In oracle we had... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonty Immortal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)