Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris "Can't open boot device" error !! Post 302537872 by Anti_Evil on Monday 11th of July 2011 12:17:20 AM
Old 07-11-2011
Thanks alot , you were right. v240 dvdrom doesnt work on v440. i've found a spare for v440 and it was ok

{3} ok probe-all
Probing I/O buses
{3} ok probe-ide
Device 0 ( Primary Master )
Removable ATAPI Model: TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-C2732
Device 1 ( Primary Slave )
Not Present
Device 2 ( Secondary Master )
Not Present
Device 3 ( Secondary Slave )
Not Present

jumpstart is quite good idea but i had some difficulties , so i couldnt setup here.

Thanks alot.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

A NEW version of "boot: cannot open kernel/sparcv9/unix "

Ok, I found this article: https://www.unix.com/sun-solaris/19665-boot-cannot-open-kernel-sparcv9-unix.html However it doesn't quite describe my situation. I have created a jumpstart DVD that works great, and installs my customized Solaris-10 (Yes 10, not 8 or 9 per previous posts) . It... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biea
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Unable to boot the system "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix"

Hi All, I have installed Solaris 10 on my AMD 64 3000+ system. I was playing with grub commands eeprom and bootadm commands. I screwed my boot-file and now am unable to boot the system. Gets error msg as "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix". I booted the system is filesafe and tried update the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath K V
2 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Mapping between "Pseudo name" and "Logical device ID" in powerpath with SVM changed....

Dear All, I was having powerpath 5.2 on SUN server with SVM connected to CLARIION box.Please find the following output : root # powermt display dev=all Pseudo name=emcpower3a CLARiiON ID=CK200073400372 Logical device ID=60060160685D1E004DD97FB647BFDC11 state=alive; policy=CLAROpt;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reboot
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX rm -rf error "rm: cannot remove `filename' : Device or resource busy"

Hi Everyone, I am trying to remove a directory: $ rm -rf directory_name/ rm: cannot remove `directory_name/filename': Device or resource busy What does this mean, and why can't I remove these files? I already tried moving into the directory, and removing the files individually, but I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna_Z
7 Replies

5. Red Hat

DELL M910 with RedHat Linux 5.5 getting "Buffer I/O error on device sdd"

Dear Guru, IHAC who is using Redhat Linux 5 on DELL M910. When system bootup, it show "Buffer I/O error on device sdd" error message. Below is the "dmesg" output. The scenario is: If more external FC SAN disk LUN add, the device would change other name. So it will impact the raw device... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: devyfong
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Repeated error - "se_hdlc: clone device must be attached before use" in /var/adm/messages

Below is the error being repeated on my Solaris 9 Sun-Fire-V890 machine. SAN team confirmed as everything is fine from their end. I did google and found that some people say its a known Oracle bug when you have Oracle 10G installed on your system but I kind of disagree with them. Please see below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikkash
2 Replies

7. SCO

NFS umount shows the "Device busy (Error 16)"

Hi there After making a backup copy of it sometimes happens that when I want to unmount an NFS indicates the error:umount: /path_mount busy: Device busy (Error 16) if I run lsoff, I can not find the process that is blocking the application. I'm using OpenServer 5.0.2c as one NFS server ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

SPARC T4-1 "ERROR: boot-read fail"

Either I try to boot from USB bootable drive or from a bootable dvdrom, I am receiving a message ERROR: boot-read fail {0} ok probe-scsi-all This command may hang the system if a Stop-A or halt command has been executed. Please type reset-all to reset the system before executing this... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
18 Replies
dad(7D) 							      Devices								   dad(7D)

NAME
dad - driver for IDE disk devices SYNOPSIS
dad@ target,lun:partition DESCRIPTION
This driver handles the ide disk drives on SPARC platforms. The type of disk drive is determined using the ATA IDE identify device command and by reading the volume label stored on block 0 of the drive. The volume label describes the disk geometry and partitioning; it must be present or the disk cannot be mounted by the system. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A single read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are trans- mitted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the raw device must be aligned on a 512-byte (DEV_BSIZE) boundary and must have a length that is a multiple of 512 bytes. Requests which do not meet the restrictions will cause the driver to return an EINVAL error. I/O requests to the block device have no alignment or length restrictions. Device Statistics Support Each device maintains I/O statistics both for the device and for each partition allocated on that device. For each device/partition, the driver accumulates reads, writes, bytes read, and bytes written. The driver also takes hi-resolution time stamps at queue entry and exit points, which facilitates monitoring the residence time and cumulative residence-length product for each queue. Each device also has error statistics associated with it. These must include counters for hard errors, soft errors and transport errors. Other data may be implemented as required. FILES
/dev/dsk/cntndnsn block files /dev/rdsk/cntndnsn raw files where: cn controller n tn IDE target id n (0-3) dn Always 0. sn partition n (0-7) The target ide numbers are assigned as: 0 Master disk on Primary channel. 1 Slave disk on Primary channel. 2 Master disk on Secondary channel 3 Slave disk on Secondary channel. IOCTLS
Refer to dkio(7I). ERRORS
EACCES Permission denied. EBUSY The partition was opened exclusively by another thread. EFAULT The argument was a bad address. EINVAL Invalid argument. EIO An I/O error occurred. ENOTTY This indicates that the device does not support the requested ioctl function. ENXIO During opening, the device did not exist. EROFS The device is a read-only device. SEE ALSO
format(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), driver.conf(4), vfstab(4), dkio(7I) X3T10 ATA-4 specifications. DIAGNOSTICS
Command:<number>, Error:<number>, Status:<number> Indicates that the command failed with an error and provides status register contents. Where <number> is a hexadecimal value. offline The driver has decided that the target disk is no longer there. disk ok The target disk is now responding again. corrupt label - bad geometry The disk label is corrupted. corrupt label - label checksum failed The disk label is corrupted. corrupt label - wrong magic number The disk label is corrupted. disk not responding to selection The target disk is not responding. i/o to invalid geometry The geometry of the drive could not be established. incomplete read/write - retrying/giving up There was a residue after the command completed normally. no bp for disk label A bp with consistent memory could not be allocated. no memory for disk label Free memory pool exhausted. ATA transport failed: reason 'nnnn': {retrying|giving} The host adapter has failed to transport a command to the target for the reason stated. The driver will either retry the command or, ultimately, give up. corrupt label - wrong magic number The disk label is corrupted. corrupt label - label checksum failed The disk label is corrupted. corrupt label - bad geometry The disk label is corrupted. no mem for property Free memory pool exhausted. transport rejected (<n>) Host adapter driver was unable to accept a command. Device Fault There has been a Device Fault - reason for such error is vendor specific. SunOS 5.10 15 Mar 2004 dad(7D)