Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extracting words from file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting words from file Post 302537869 by alister on Sunday 10th of July 2011 11:01:37 PM
Old 07-11-2011
A pure AWK or Perl solution is probably the most efficient approach, but here's one that makes do without:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

tr -cs A-Za-z '[\n*]' < "$1" | sort -uf | tr A-Z a-z |
while read w; do
        [ -n "$w" ] && [ ${#w} -lt 7 ] && printf '%s\n' "$w" >> file${#w}
done

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting some words

i run a command that submits a word to WordNET which stores the search results in a document which looks like this... i searched "car" in this instance and id like to extract auto, automobile, machine, and store it in a file with the , , stripped away just the words. WordNET's results' template... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark_nsx
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Text Between Two Words

Hi all! Im trying to extract a portion of text from a KML and put it into a new file. Im trying to get all of the points out of it, ignoring everything else so I need only the text between <Placement> and </Placement>. Is there a way to make it extract all instances of these points and not just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting part of line between two words

Hi, I have a file few hundred MB's with text like one below in single line. 20091117 abc xyg 20091117 def ghi 20091118 ppp ttt 20091118 zzz zzz xxx I need to extract part of line from 1st occurence of pattern 20091117 till first occurence of another pattern 20091118. I tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: artistic94555
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

words extracting

Hi, Pls assist. dn: uid=test,ou=test,dc=com description: password sunIdentityServerDeviceStatus: Active uid: test objectClass: sunIdentityServerDevice objectClass: iplanet-am-user-service objectClass: top objectClass: iPlanetPreferences sunIdentityServerDeviceType: blabla cn: default... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting only words from a log file

hello: i have a file and i am trying to extract only unique words from that file. i used the command: cat messages.1 | tr " " "\n" | sort | uniq -c but using this command outputs everything unique in the file be it words, numbers, like all the characters..i need a command which will only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikbenq
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extracting words from fixed length files

I am very new to scripting and need to write a script that will extract the account number from a line that begins with HDR. For example, the file is as follows HDR2010072600300405505100726 00300405505 LBJ FREEWAY DALLAS TELEGRAPH ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bds052189
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting Concatenated Words in Input File with Words from a Master File

Hello, I have a complex problem. I have a file in which words have been joined together: Theboy ranslowly I want to be able to correctly split the words using a lookup file in which all the words occur: the boy ran slowly slow put child ly The lookup file which is meant for look up... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
21 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - Extracting multiple key words from stdout

Hello. From command line, the command zypper info nxclient return a bloc of data : linux local # zypper info nxclient Loading repository data... Reading installed packages... Information for package nxclient: Repository: zypper_local Name: nxclient Version: 3.5.0-7 Arch: x86_64... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Words from Text

Hi there, Unix Gurus Back in September last year you helped me find a way to extract the words in brackets in a textfile to a new one. In that case my textfile was made up of sentences containing an only bracketed word per sentence/line: 1. If the boss's son had been , someone would... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting words and lines based on keywords

Hello! I'm trying to process a text file and am stuck at 2 extractions. Hoping someone can help me here: 1. Given a line in a text file and given a keyword, how can I extract the word preceeding the keyword using a shell command/script? For example: Given a keyword "world" in the line: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seemad
2 Replies
BOGGLE(6)							 BSD Games Manual							 BOGGLE(6)

NAME
boggle -- word search game SYNOPSIS
boggle [-bd] [-s seed] [-t time] [-w length] [+ [+]] [boardspec] DESCRIPTION
The object of boggle is to find as many words as possible on the Boggle board within the three minute time limit. A Boggle board is a four by four arrangement of Boggle cubes, each side of each cube displaying a letter of the alphabet or `qu'. Words are formed by finding a sequence of cubes (letters) that are in the game's dictionary. The (N+1)th cube in the word must be horizontally, vertically, or diagonally adjacent to the Nth cube. Cubes cannot be reused. Words consist solely of lower case letters and must be at least 3 letters long. Command line flags can be given to change the rules of the game. -b Run boggle in batch mode. A boardspec must also be given. The dictionary is read from stdin and a list of words appearing in boardspec is printed to stdout. -d Enable debugging output. -s seed Specify a seed seed other than the time of day. -t time Set the time limit for each game from the default 3 minutes to time seconds. -w length Change the minimum word length from 3 letters to length. + This flag allows a cube to be used multiple times, but not in succession. ++ This flag allows the same cubes to be considered adjacent to itself. boardspec A starting board position can be specified on the command line by listing the board left to right and top to bottom. Help is available during play by typing '?'. More detailed information on the game is given there. BUGS
If there are a great many words in the cube the final display of the words may scroll off of the screen. (On a 25 line screen about 130 words can be displayed.) No word can contain a 'q' that is not immediately followed by a 'u'. When using the + or ++ options the display of words found in the board doesn't indicate reused cubes. AUTHOR
Boggle is a trademark of Parker Brothers. Barry Brachman Dept. of Computer Science University of British Columbia BSD
April 1, 2001 BSD