Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Compare 2 files print the lines of file 2 that contain a string from file 1 Post 302537724 by KevinRidley on Saturday 9th of July 2011 02:33:47 PM
Old 07-09-2011
Question Compare 2 files print the lines of file 2 that contain a string from file 1

Hello I am a new unix user, and I have a work related task to compare 2 files and print all of the lines in file 2 that contain a string from file 1 Note: the fields are in different columns in the files. I suspect the is a good use for awk? Thanks for your time & help

File 1

123 232 W343
321 323 W454
999 666 W777

File 2

333 W343 989
577 W323 979
888 W777 555

Result =

333 W343 989
888 W777 555

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to print lines contains particular string format in a file

Hi, I want to print the lines in a file that matches particular string format using shell scripting. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two columns of different files and print the matching second file..

Hi, I have two tab separated files; file1: S.No ddi fi cu o/l t+ t- 1 0.5 0.6 o 0.1 0.2 2 0.2 0.3 l 0.3 0.4 3 0.5 0.8 l 0.1 0.6 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print string at the end of lines in text file

hello, I go text file like this E:/DDD/Dyndede/wwww E:/DDD/sss.com/ffffg/fff E:/DDD/vvvvvv/dd E:/DDD/sss.com/bbbbbb E:/DDD/sss.com/nnnn/xxI want to print /alpha.jpg at the end of every lines like that E:/DDD/Dyndede/wwww/alpha.jpg E:/DDD/sss.com/ffffg/fff/alpha.jpg... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidkhan
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to compare flat files and print output to another file

Hello, I am strugling from quite a some time to compare flat files with over 1 million records could anyone please help me. I want to compare two pipe delimited flat files, file1 with file2 and output the unmatched rows from file2 in file3 Sample File1: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: suhaeb
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print #of lines after search string in a big file

I have a command which prints #lines after and before the search string in the huge file nawk 'c-->0;$0~s{if(b)for(c=b+1;c>1;c--)print r;print;c=a}b{r=$0}' b=0 a=10 s="STRING1" FILE The file is 5 gig big. It works great and prints 10 lines after the lines which contains search string in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash184u
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk compare specific columns from 2 files, print new file

Hello. I have two files. FILE1 was extracted from FILE2 and modified thanks to help from this post. Now I need to replace the extracted, modified lines into the original file (FILE2) to produce the FILE3. FILE1 1466 55.27433 14.72050 -2.52E+03 3.00E-01 1.05E+04 2.57E+04 1467 55.27433... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jm4smtddd
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the lines in a file for the given string?

Hi, I have a file with contents test id text day test sah dh dhs yeay fg jsh jsjk my need: I give a string as a input, it check the file and display the lines with the given string e.g input : test output: test id text day test sah dh dhs (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare columns of multiple files and print those unique string from File1 in an output file.

Hi, I have multiple files that each contain one column of strings: File1: 123abc 456def 789ghi File2: 123abc 456def 891jkl File3: 234mno 123abc 456def In total I have 25 of these type of file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] awk compare two different columns of two files and print all from both file

Hi, I want to compare two columns from file1 with another two column of file2 and print matched and unmatched column like this File1 1 rs1 abc 3 rs4 xyz 1 rs3 stu File2 1 kkk rs1 AA 10 1 aaa rs2 DD 20 1 ccc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justinjj
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare 2 files and create a result file with unmatched lines from first file.?

HI, I have 2 text files. file1 and file2. file1.txt (There are no duplicates in this file) 1234 3232 4343 3435 6564 6767 1213 file2.txt 1234,wq,wewe,qwqw 1234,as,dfdf,dfdf 4343,asas,sdds,dsds 6767,asas,fdfd,fdffd I need to search each number in file1.txt in file2.txt's 1st... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
6 Replies
DIFF(1) 							   User Commands							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - compare files line by line SYNOPSIS
diff [OPTION]... FILES DESCRIPTION
Compare files line by line. -i --ignore-case Ignore case differences in file contents. --ignore-file-name-case Ignore case when comparing file names. --no-ignore-file-name-case Consider case when comparing file names. -E --ignore-tab-expansion Ignore changes due to tab expansion. -b --ignore-space-change Ignore changes in the amount of white space. -w --ignore-all-space Ignore all white space. -B --ignore-blank-lines Ignore changes whose lines are all blank. -I RE --ignore-matching-lines=RE Ignore changes whose lines all match RE. --strip-trailing-cr Strip trailing carriage return on input. -a --text Treat all files as text. -c -C NUM --context[=NUM] Output NUM (default 3) lines of copied context. -u -U NUM --unified[=NUM] Output NUM (default 3) lines of unified context. --label LABEL Use LABEL instead of file name. -p --show-c-function Show which C function each change is in. -F RE --show-function-line=RE Show the most recent line matching RE. -q --brief Output only whether files differ. -e --ed Output an ed script. --normal Output a normal diff. -n --rcs Output an RCS format diff. -y --side-by-side Output in two columns. -W NUM --width=NUM Output at most NUM (default 130) print columns. --left-column Output only the left column of common lines. --suppress-common-lines Do not output common lines. -D NAME --ifdef=NAME Output merged file to show `#ifdef NAME' diffs. --GTYPE-group-format=GFMT Similar, but format GTYPE input groups with GFMT. --line-format=LFMT Similar, but format all input lines with LFMT. --LTYPE-line-format=LFMT Similar, but format LTYPE input lines with LFMT. LTYPE is `old', `new', or `unchanged'. GTYPE is LTYPE or `changed'. GFMT may contain: %< lines from FILE1 %> lines from FILE2 %= lines common to FILE1 and FILE2 %[-][WIDTH][.[PREC]]{doxX}LETTER printf-style spec for LETTER LETTERs are as follows for new group, lower case for old group: F first line number L last line number N number of lines = L-F+1 E F-1 M L+1 LFMT may contain: %L contents of line %l contents of line, excluding any trailing newline %[-][WIDTH][.[PREC]]{doxX}n printf-style spec for input line number Either GFMT or LFMT may contain: %% % %c'C' the single character C %c'OOO' the character with octal code OOO -l --paginate Pass the output through `pr' to paginate it. -t --expand-tabs Expand tabs to spaces in output. -T --initial-tab Make tabs line up by prepending a tab. --tabsize=NUM Tab stops are every NUM (default 8) print columns. --suppress-blank-empty Suppress space or tab before empty output lines. -r --recursive Recursively compare any subdirectories found. -N --new-file Treat absent files as empty. --unidirectional-new-file Treat absent first files as empty. -s --report-identical-files Report when two files are the same. -x PAT --exclude=PAT Exclude files that match PAT. -X FILE --exclude-from=FILE Exclude files that match any pattern in FILE. -S FILE --starting-file=FILE Start with FILE when comparing directories. --from-file=FILE1 Compare FILE1 to all operands. FILE1 can be a directory. --to-file=FILE2 Compare all operands to FILE2. FILE2 can be a directory. --horizon-lines=NUM Keep NUM lines of the common prefix and suffix. -d --minimal Try hard to find a smaller set of changes. --speed-large-files Assume large files and many scattered small changes. -v --version Output version info. --help Output this help. FILES are `FILE1 FILE2' or `DIR1 DIR2' or `DIR FILE...' or `FILE... DIR'. If --from-file or --to-file is given, there are no restrictions on FILES. If a FILE is `-', read standard input. Exit status is 0 if inputs are the same, 1 if different, 2 if trouble. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Eggert, Mike Haertel, David Hayes, Richard Stallman, and Len Tower. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for diff is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and diff programs are properly installed at your site, the command info diff should give you access to the complete manual. diffutils 2.8.7-cvs January 2008 DIFF(1)