Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to cut a line that contains two different separator Post 302537507 by bartus11 on Friday 8th of July 2011 11:36:26 AM
Old 07-08-2011
Is awk OK?
Code:
awk -F"[,=]" '{print $6}' file

Alternatively you could use two cuts:
Code:
cut -d"," -f3 file | cut -d"=" -f2

This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & cut record separator problem

Hi All, I've got some strange behaviour going on when trying to manipulate a file that contains spaces. My input file looks something like this: xxxxxxxxx,yyyy,sss sss sss,bbbbbbb If I use awk: When running from the command line I get: sss sss sss But when running from a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut a string in a textfile line per line

i need to cut the string in a textfile but each line has a specific way of cutting it (different lengths) i have a for loop that gets the string line per line, then each line has to be compared: for x in `cat tmp2.txt`; do if; then echo 'BAC' elif ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: izuma
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading line by line and cut

I have a file like name file.txt whose contents are 3 fields separated by colon':' . somewhat like code/OR_R1400_RC4/BM_ATEMP_11.0.1.33:28/01/2010:N code/OR_R1400_RC5/BM_ATEMP_11.0.1.35:28/01/2010:Y code/OR_R1400_RC4/BM_ATEMP_11.0.1.33:29/01/2010:N... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
8 Replies

4. Slackware

How should I cut this line using cut and grep?

not sure how to do it. wan't to delete it using cut and grep ince i would use it in the shell. but how must the command be? grep "64.233.181.103 wwwGoogle.com" /etc/hosts | cut -d the delimeter is just a space. can you help meplease. :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garfish
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a separator string between fields in cut -c command

Hi All, I'm trying to view data using cut command for a fixed length file using the below command: cut -c 1-3,4-5 FALCON_PIS_00000000.dat I want to mention a separator say | (pipe) in between 1-3 and 4-5. Please let me know how to achieve this. Thanks in Advance, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or print each section of a file on one line with a separator

I can obtain information from itdt inventory command however it display as below, I'd like to print each entity on one line but seperated by : the file is something like and each section ends with Volume Tag Drive Address 256 Drive State ................... Normal ASC/ASCQ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add a field separator (comma) inside a line of a CSV file

Hi... I can't find my little red AWK book and it's been a long while since I've awk'd. But I need to take a CSV file and convert the first word of the fifth field to its own field by replacing a space with a comma. This is for importing a spreadsheet of issues into JIRA... Example: a line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tawpie
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change the line separator?

Hi All, I have a file with 20 columns, and the data itself has "\n" new line in it. So we have changed the row delimiter to ^E. Now i am unable to use head, wc -l etc... Please let me know how to change the line separator temporarily to run these unix commands. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baranisachin
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use two field separator in the same line and print them

Hi Guys, I have the file --- HOST_NAME,data_coleta,data_carga,CPU_util,CPU_idle,run_queue,memory,MEMORY_SYSTEM,MEMORY_TOTAL,MEMORY_SWAPIN,MEMORY_SWAPOUT,DISK_READ,DISK_WRITE,DISK_IO,NET_IN_PACKET, NET_OUT_PACKET... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: antoniorajr
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replace \n char true line Separator

Unix File is pipe delimited with 17 fields. We may get extra pipes in data also. We may get \n char (1 or more \n in one field or multi fileds) in data in any field. Need to replace \n true ( line separator) with 'space and bell char space' chars (' \a ') Not data \n. Input:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeshkumare
1 Replies
XCUTSEL(1)						      General Commands Manual							XCUTSEL(1)

NAME
xcutsel - interchange between cut buffer and selection SYNOPSIS
xcutsel [ -toolkitoption ...] [-selection selection] [-cutbuffer number] DESCRIPTION
The xcutsel program is used to copy the current selection into a cut buffer and to make a selection that contains the current contents of the cut buffer. It acts as a bridge between applications that don't support selections and those that do. By default, xcutsel will use the selection named PRIMARY and the cut buffer CUT_BUFFER0. Either or both of these can be overridden by com- mand line arguments or by resources. An xcutsel window has the following buttons: quit When this button is pressed, xcutsel exits. Any selections held by xcutsel are automatically released. copy PRIMARY to 0 When this button is pressed, xcutsel copies the current selection into the cut buffer. copy 0 to PRIMARY When this button is pressed, xcutsel converts the current contents of the cut buffer into the selection. The button labels reflect the selection and cutbuffer selected by command line options or through the resource database. When the ``copy 0 to PRIMARY'' button is activated, the button will remain inverted as long as xcutsel remains the owner of the selection. This serves to remind you which client owns the current selection. Note that the value of the selection remains constant; if the cutbuffer is changed, you must again activate the copy button to retrieve the new value when desired. OPTIONS
Xcutsel accepts all of the standard X Toolkit command line options as well as the following: -selection name This option specifies the name of the selection to use. The default is PRIMARY. The only supported abbreviations for this option are ``-select'', ``-sel'' and ``-s'', as the standard toolkit option ``-selectionTimeout'' has a similar name. -cutbuffer number This option specifies the cut buffer to use. The default is cut buffer 0. X DEFAULTS
This program accepts all of the standard X Toolkit resource names and classes as well as: selection (class Selection) This resource specifies the name of the selection to use. The default is PRIMARY. cutBuffer (class CutBuffer) This resource specifies the number of the cut buffer to use. The default is 0. WIDGET NAMES
The following instance names may be used when user configuration of the labels in them is desired: sel-cut (class Command) This is the ``copy SELECTION to BUFFER'' button. cut-sel (class Command) This is the ``copy BUFFER to SELECTION'' button. quit (class Command) This is the ``quit'' button. SEE ALSO
X(7), xclipboard(1), xterm(1), text widget documentation, individual client documentation for how to make a selection. BUGS
There is no way to change the name of the selection or the number of the cut buffer while the program is running. AUTHOR
Ralph R. Swick, DEC/MIT Project Athena X Version 11 xclipboard 1.1.2 XCUTSEL(1)