Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search pattern and replace x-y characters in nth line after every match Post 302537287 by neutronscott on Thursday 7th of July 2011 02:59:52 PM
Old 07-07-2011
This will work for a line, maybe more details will help me...

replace.sh:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/awk -f
FNR==1 { fnum++ }
/^HEADER$/ {h=1;l=0}
h {l++}
l==3 && fnum==1 { p1=$0; next }
l==3 && fnum==2 { print p1; next }
fnum==2 { print $0 }

Code:
[mute@geek ~/test]$ cat fileA
HEADER
some kinda of data aAAaaa
this is the new data aaAAAA
more data etc aaaa

[mute@geek ~/test]$ cat fileB
HEADER
some kinda of data in BBBB
this is the old data bbBBBb
more data etc bBBbBB

[mute@geek ~/test]$ ./replace.sh fileA fileB
HEADER
some kinda of data in BBBB
this is the new data aaAAAA
more data etc bBBbBB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Replace Line which contains the Pattern match with a new line

I need to replace the line containing "STAGE_DB" with the line "STAGE_DB $DB # database that contains the table being loaded ($workingDB)" Here $DB is passed during the runtime. How can I do this? Thanks, Kousikan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kousikan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search word in a line and print earlier pattern match

Hi All, I have almost 1000+ files and I want to search specific pattern. Looking forwarded your input. Search for: word1.word2 (Which procedure contain this word, I need procedure name in output. Expected output: procedure test1 procedure test2 procedure test3 procedure test4 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: susau_79
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting filename for Nth line pattern match

Hi, I have many scripts in particular directory. And few of the scripts have exit 0 in second line. Now i wanted to list out the scripts name which has the exit 0 in its second line I tried many options , but i can not get the filename along with the nth line pattern match :mad:. Can anyone... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: puni
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern match and replace another pattern in same line

I have a pattern username:x:32005:32006::/usr/local/user:/bin/bash I need to match the line containing username and replace /bin/bash with /usr/local/my/bin/noshell So it becomes username:x:32005:32006::/usr/local/user:/usr/local/my/bin/noshell (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with replace line based on specific pattern match

Input file data20714 7327 7366 detail data20714 7327 7366 main data250821 56532 57634 detail data250821 57527 57634 main data250821 57359 57474 main data250821 57212 57301 main data250821 57140 57159 detail data250821 56834 57082 main data250821 56708 56779 main ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing nth and n+1th line after a pattern match

Hi , I want to print the nth and n+1 lines from a file once it gets a pattern match. For eg: aaa bbb ccc ddd gh jjjj If I find a match for bbb then I need to print bbb as well as 3rd and 4th line from the match.. Please help..Is it possible to get a command using sed :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to know how to replace a line after a pattern match with an empty line using SED

Hi How Are you? I am doing fine! I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Basically I need to replace the entire line containing "doing" with a blank line: I need to the following output: Hi How Are you? I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search for specific line and replace nth column

I need to be able to search for a string in the first column and if that string exists than replace the nth column with "-9.99". AW12000012012 2.38 1.51 3.01 1.66 0.90 0.91 1.22 0.82 0.57 1.67 2.31 3.63 0.00 AW12000012013 1.52 0.90 1.20 1.34 1.21 0.67 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearrange or replace only the second line after pattern match or pattern match

Im using the command below , but thats not the output that i want. it only prints the odd and even numbers. awk '{if(NR%2){print $0 > "1"}else{print $0 > "2"}}' Im hoping for something like this file1: Text hi this is just a test text1 text2 text3 text4 text5 text6 Text hi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display when nth line match a pattern?

Hi All, I have sample of listing as following Database 2 entry: Database alias = PXRES Database name = PXRES Local database directory = /db2/data1/db2phnx Database release level = d.00 Comment ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
3 Replies
SAFENET(8)							    NUT Manual								SAFENET(8)

NAME
safenet - Driver for SafeNet compatible UPS equipment NOTE
This man page only documents the hardware-specific features of the safenet driver. For information about the core driver, see nutupsdrv(8). SUPPORTED HARDWARE
This driver supports UPS equipment which can be controlled via SafeNet v1.0 for Windows (serial interface only). EXTRA ARGUMENTS
This driver supports the following optional settings in the ups.conf(5) file: manufacturer=value Autodetection of this parameter is not possible yet (and it probably never will be). Therefore, this user-defined string accepts any name. The default is unknown. modelname=value Like manufacturer above. The default is unknown. serialnumber=value Like manufacturer above. The default is unknown. ondelay=value Time to wait before switching on the UPS (minutes). Defaults to 1 minute. offdelay=value Time to wait before shutting down the UPS (seconds). Defaults to 30 seconds. UPSCMD
This driver supports some instant commands (see upscmd(8)): test.battery.start Start UPS self test test.battery.stop Cancel UPS self test test.failure.start Start simulated power failure test.failure.stop Cancel simulated power failure beeper.enable Enable the UPS beeper beeper.mute Temporarily mute the UPS beeper beeper.toggle Toggle the UPS beeper shutdown.return Turn off the load and wait for the power to return. Uses the timer defined by offdelay. shutdown.reboot Turn off the load and return. Uses the timers defined by offdelay and ondelay. KNOWN PROBLEMS
If you run the shutdown.return command with mains present, the output may stay on or switch off and not back on again. The shutdown.reboot command will unconditionally switch on the load again (with or without mains present). If the driver is called with the -k option (or through upsdrvctl shutdown) it tries to detect which command should be used in an attempt to stay off until mains is present again or to cycle the output if the power returned in the mean time. This isn't bullet-proof, and you should be prepared that the power will either not be shutdown, or that it doesn't return when the power comes back. AUTHOR
Arjen de Korte <adkorte-guest at alioth.debian.org> SEE ALSO
The core driver: nutupsdrv(8) Internet resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.networkupstools.org/ Network UPS Tools 05/21/2012 SAFENET(8)