Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting to pick the latest file modified in a directory Post 302537071 by itkamaraj on Thursday 7th of July 2011 03:58:13 AM
Old 07-07-2011
Code:
ls -lrt | tail -1 | awk '{print $NF}' > file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i pick the latest log file as per below

in the below .. i want to pick the latest logfile which is having JPS.PR inside.. that means i want particularly "spgport040408041223.log:@@@@@@@@ 04:13:09 Adding: JPS.PR." which is latest among these.. is it possible to compare the current time with logfile time ? reptm@xblr0758rop>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pick the very latest directory

Hi, I have some list of directories in the form datemonthyear e.g. 02082009, 03082009 and 04082009 etc. I need to pick the latest directory from the current working directory. Outcome: 05082009 This is the output am expecting. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the latest modified file from the unix server.

hi Friends, In my directory i have some files. I need to find out latest modified file. Please help me. Sreenu. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenu80
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the latest modified file name in /home directory?

I only know how to list all sub-directories or files in specified directory. I don't know how to order them by modified date, furthermore, I don't know how to get the top one file in the sorted list. Wish you can do me a favor. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the latest directory and loop through the files and pick the error messages

Hi, I am new to unix and shell scripting,can anybody help me in sctipting a requirement. my requirement is to get the latest directory the name of the directory will be like CSB.monthdate_time stamp like CSB.Sep29_11:16 and CSB.Oct01_16:21. i need to pick the latest directory. in the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir_83k
15 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need command to pick the latest file

Hi In my script i am trying to access mainframe server using FTP, in the server i have filee with the timestamp.I need to get the file with the latest timestamp among them . The server has the below files / ftp> cd /outbox 250 CWD command successful ftp> ls 200 PORT command successful... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi131
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding the latest modified version of a file within directories

I am trying to look into multiple directories and pluck out the latest version of a specific file, regardless of where it sits within the directory structure. Ex: The file is a .xls file and could have a depth within the directory of anywhere from 1-5 Working directory - Folder1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: co21ss
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find the latest modified file in a directory

I am trying to fetch the latest modified file from a directory using the command find . -type f -exec ls -lt \{\} \+ | head | awk '{print $9}' After the O/P, I get the below mentioned error and the command doesnt terminate at all. find: ls terminated by signal 13 find: ls terminated by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have this list of files . Now I will have to pick the latest file based on some condition

3679 Jul 21 23:59 belk_rpo_error_**po9324892**_07212014.log 0 Jul 22 23:59 belk_rpo_error_**po9324892**_07222014.log 3679 Jul 23 23:59 belk_rpo_error_**po9324892**_07232014.log 22 Jul 22 06:30 belk_rpo_error_**po9324267**_07012014.log 0 Jul 20 05:50... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should pick latest file within past 3 days using UNIX script and perform steps in message below.

Hi , Can anyone help me how do perform below requirement in unix. Step1:we will receive multiple files weekly with same name(as below) in a folder(In folder we will have other files also def.dat,ghf.dat) Filenames: 1) abc_20171204_052389.dat 2)abc_20171204_052428.dat DON'T modify... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnykamal59
23 Replies
LWP-DOWNLOAD(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  LWP-DOWNLOAD(1p)

NAME
lwp-download - Fetch large files from the web SYNOPSIS
lwp-download [-a] [-s] <url> [<local path>] DESCRIPTION
The lwp-download program will save the file at url to a local file. If local path is not specified, then the current directory is assumed. If local path is a directory, then the last segment of the path of the url is appended to form a local filename. If the url path ends with slash the name "index" is used. With the -s option pick up the last segment of the filename from server provided sources like the Content- Disposition header or any redirect URLs. A file extension to match the server reported Content-Type might also be appended. If a file with the produced filename already exists, then lwp-download will prompt before it overwrites and will fail if its standard input is not a terminal. This form of invocation will also fail is no acceptable filename can be derived from the sources mentioned above. If local path is not a directory, then it is simply used as the path to save into. If the file already exists it's overwritten. The lwp-download program is implemented using the libwww-perl library. It is better suited to down load big files than the lwp-request program because it does not store the file in memory. Another benefit is that it will keep you updated about its progress and that you don't have much options to worry about. Use the "-a" option to save the file in text (ascii) mode. Might make a difference on dosish systems. EXAMPLE
Fetch the newest and greatest perl version: $ lwp-download http://www.perl.com/CPAN/src/latest.tar.gz Saving to 'latest.tar.gz'... 11.4 MB received in 8 seconds (1.43 MB/sec) AUTHOR
Gisle Aas <gisle@aas.no> perl v5.14.2 2012-01-14 LWP-DOWNLOAD(1p)