Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: conditional confusion
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting conditional confusion Post 302536994 by Corona688 on Wednesday 6th of July 2011 08:23:40 PM
Old 07-06-2011
I can't find a manual page for yad, but I see that you're feeding it data into standard input. Animated things like progress bars may not work if the process is talking to anything but a terminal, and a pipe's not a terminal; is there a way to give it data as commandline parameters instead?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ISO Confusion?

Hiya folks, Just a quick question. When I am ready to download Fedora core 4, do I need to download all 4 ISO files? Or just one, I think myself it would be all 4 but dont want to sit and wait around if I only need to download one. Also after downloading the Iso files, do I burn one file to one... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_Pinky
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wc command confusion

Can somebody explain it to me that why wc gives more chars suppose Ab.txt have two lines qwer qasd then wc -c ab.txt will give 10.why not 8.okay may be it is taking count one for each line just in case but why echo "qwer"|wc -C gives 5. Ok with \c it is returning 4. :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhruva
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed confusion

Hello all, I am trying to delete all the lines in a particular file having a pattern. The problem is that it has special characters and for some reason is not doing the job. For eg. src_file /home/test/filelist.txt :xxxx:ogog /home/test/RCH/ogogogg /home/test/RYHUJ/HHHH... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion over a small conditional script

Hi, I was going through a file containing hundreds of lines of codes having conditional statement written as: log() { echo $@ } num=$(/usr/bin/rsh <one_machine> -l root 'ls -d /home/user/db* 2> /dev/null' | wc -w) (( num > 0 )) && log "db info:" so,if here the return value(stored in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'tr' confusion

Good day, everyone! Could anybody explain me the following situation. If I'm running similar script: Var="anna.kurnikova" Var2="Anna Kurn" echo $Var | tr -t "$Var" "$Var2" Why the output is : anna KurniKova instead of Anna Kurnikova? :confused: Thank you in advance for any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nafanja
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Server Confusion

I don't even know where to start with this one. There is so much out there about different aspects of this. I am starting with a basic Ubuntu 11.04 install. Do I need to configure a DNS? I am a little confused about that. What do I need to do for a domain name? I have followed various tutorials,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: polyglot0727
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion with PS

Hello All, I have a problem in counting number of process getting run with my current script name.. Here it is ps -ef | grep $0 | grep -v grep This display just one line with the PID, PPID and other details when i print it in the script. But when I want to count the numbers in my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed confusion

#!/bin/bash X=(0 2 4 6 7 0 0 0 0) Let me just say from the start that sed confuses the hell out of me! In the above line of code how can I use sed to remove all of the 0's except the first one? I have tried sed -e 's/*$//g' but it removes all of the 0's. Thank you in advance for any and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If then statement confusion

#!/bin/bash PH=(KD 6S TC 3D) #playerhand TCIP=(AH) #topcard in play A=( "${TCIP::1}" ) # A B=( "${TCIP:1}" ) # H C=8 for e in ${PH}; do if ]; then echo "$e " >> /home/cogiz/validcards.txt else echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cogiz
1 Replies
tcsetpgrp(3C)															     tcsetpgrp(3C)

NAME
tcsetpgrp() - set foreground process group id SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
If the calling process has a controlling terminal, sets the foreground process group ID associated with the terminal referenced by fildes to pgrp_id. The file associated with fildes must be the controlling terminal of the calling process and the controlling terminal must be currently associated with the session of the calling process. The value of pgrp_id must match a process group ID of a process in the same session as the calling process. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns zero. Otherwise, returns -1 and sets to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails if any of the following conditions are encountered: [EBADF] fildes is not a valid file descriptor. [EINVAL] The value of the pgrp_id argument is not supported. [ENOTTY] The calling process does not have a controlling terminal, or the fildes is not the controlling terminal, or the con- trolling terminal is no longer associated with the session of the calling process. [EPERM] The value of pgrp_id is a supported value but does not match the process group ID of a process in the same session as the calling process. SEE ALSO
setpgid(2), setsid(2), tcgetpgrp(3C), thread_safety(5), termio(7). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
tcsetpgrp(3C)