Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to convert a text file into tab delimited format? Post 302536875 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 6th of July 2011 11:57:43 AM
Old 07-06-2011
I think it probably is 'space delimited' or you would not see spaces in the edit screen.
(gedit, nano, or whatever).
What is the origin of the file - did it come from Windows or even worse, MS word?

Please show the output of :
Code:
od -c <your textfile name here> | head

so we can see what you really have.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether a given file is in ASCII format and data is tab-delimited

Hi All, Please help me out with a script which checks whether a given file say abc.txt is in ASCII format and data is tab-delimited. If the condition doesn't satisfy then it should generate error code "100" for file not in ASCII format and "105" if it is not in tab-delimited format. If the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandab
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert tab delimited file to .csv file

Hi, Can any one please help me in converting a tab delimited file in .csv file. Records in my file are similar to mentioned below: DET 001 0201 AC032508970 01478E1X8 DET 002 0202 AC032508971 01478E1X8 Could any one please suggest me what approach would be more suitable for this or if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtidke
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert this file into comma delimited format

Hi experts, I need urget help! I have the a text file with this format: Types of fruits Name of fruits 1,1 Farm_no,1 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,1 orange,1 banana,1 2,2--->this is the record seperator Farm_no,2 apple,1 pineapple,1 grapes,3 orange,2 banana,1 3,3--->this is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: natalie23
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert text to columns in tab delimited text file

Hello Gurus, I have a text file containing nearly 12,000 tab delimited characters with 4000 rows. If the file size is small, excel can convert the text into coloumns. However, the file that I have is very big. Can some body help me in solving this problem? The input file example, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert comma delimited file to tab separator

Hi all, How can i convert comma delimited .csv file to tab separate using sed command or script. Thanks, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a 3 column tab delimited file to a matrix

Hi all, I have a 3 columns input file like this: CPLX9PC-4943 CPLX9PC-4943 1 CPLX9PC-4943 CpxID123 0 CPLX9PC-4943 CpxID126 0 CPLX9PC-4943 CPLX9PC-5763 0.5 CPLX9PC-4943 CpxID13 0 CPLX9PC-4943 CPLX9PC-6163 0 CPLX9PC-4943 CPLX9PC-6164 0.04... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert space&tab delimited file to CSV?

Hello, I have a text file with space and tab (mixed) delimited file and need to convert into CSV. # cat test.txt /dev/rmt/tsmmt32 HP Ultrium 6-SCSI J3LZ 50:03:08:c0:02:72:c0:b5 F00272C0B5 0/0/6/1/1.145.17.255.0.0.0 /dev/rmt/c102t0d0BEST /dev/rmt/tsmmt37 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Excel File (xls) to tab delimited text file on AIX

Hi i have a problem in my job i try to convert an excel file (xls extention) to text file (tab delimited), but no result with this comand cat xxx.xls > xxx.txt Do you have eny idea? PS: sorry for my english Thanks!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frisso
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert pipe demilited file to vertical tab delimited

Hi All, How can we convert pipe delimited ( or comma ) file to vertical tab (VT) delimited. Regards PK (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasson_ibm
4 Replies
QTab(3qt)																 QTab(3qt)

NAME
QTab - The structures in a QTabBar SYNOPSIS
#include <qtabbar.h> Inherits Qt. Public Members QTab () virtual ~QTab () QTab ( const QString & text ) QTab ( const QIconSet & icon, const QString & text = QString::null ) void setText ( const QString & text ) QString text () const void setIconSet ( const QIconSet & icon ) QIconSet * iconSet () const void setRect ( const QRect & rect ) QRect rect () const void setEnabled ( bool enable ) bool isEnabled () const void setIdentifier ( int i ) int identifier () const DESCRIPTION
The QTab class provides the structures in a QTabBar. This class is used for custom QTabBar tab headings. See also QTabBar and Advanced Widgets. MEMBER FUNCTION DOCUMENTATION
QTab::QTab () Constructs an empty tab. All fields are set to empty. QTab::QTab ( const QString & text ) Constructs a tab with the text text. QTab::QTab ( const QIconSet & icon, const QString & text = QString::null ) Constructs a tab with an icon and the text, text. QTab::~QTab () [virtual] Destroys the tab and frees up all allocated resources. QIconSet * QTab::iconSet () const Return the QIconSet of the QTab. int QTab::identifier () const Return the QTab's identifier. bool QTab::isEnabled () const Returns TRUE if the QTab is enabled; otherwise returns FALSE. QRect QTab::rect () const Return the QRect for the QTab. void QTab::setEnabled ( bool enable ) If enable is TRUE enable the QTab, otherwise disable it. void QTab::setIconSet ( const QIconSet & icon ) Sets the tab's iconset to icon void QTab::setIdentifier ( int i ) Set the identifier for the QTab to i. Each QTab's identifier within a QTabBar must be unique. void QTab::setRect ( const QRect & rect ) Set the QTab QRect to rect. void QTab::setText ( const QString & text ) Sets the text of the tab to text. QString QTab::text () const Returns the text of the QTab label. SEE ALSO
http://doc.trolltech.com/qtab.html http://www.trolltech.com/faq/tech.html COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1992-2007 Trolltech ASA, http://www.trolltech.com. See the license file included in the distribution for a complete license statement. AUTHOR
Generated automatically from the source code. BUGS
If you find a bug in Qt, please report it as described in http://doc.trolltech.com/bughowto.html. Good bug reports help us to help you. Thank you. The definitive Qt documentation is provided in HTML format; it is located at $QTDIR/doc/html and can be read using Qt Assistant or with a web browser. This man page is provided as a convenience for those users who prefer man pages, although this format is not officially supported by Trolltech. If you find errors in this manual page, please report them to qt-bugs@trolltech.com. Please include the name of the manual page (qtab.3qt) and the Qt version (3.3.8). Trolltech AS 2 February 2007 QTab(3qt)