Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting finding the line number of a particular line in a file Post 302536825 by bartus11 on Wednesday 6th of July 2011 10:20:24 AM
Old 07-06-2011
Start with:
Code:
grep -n "look at the moon" file | cut -d":" -f1

This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the line number of matching braces

Hi,I am new to shell scripting and i want to find the line numbers of matching braces. The file contents are as follows File XXX.dat 1 ( CLASS "FRUIT" 2 (TYPE "PERSISTENT") 3 (MESSAGE_TYPE "M") 4 (GET_REQRD "Y") 5 (SET_REQRD "Y") 6 ) 7 ( CLASS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajendra_1510
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding line number if the line contains

hi i have a file , that contains data like 34343538 3136414D 45583030 30302E54 445816AMEX0000.T 524E2020 20202020 20202020 20202020 RN 20202020 20203030 38303030 30303030 0080000000 30303030 30300D 000000. 20080724-051254.668419 D 473... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the data from line number 1 to line number 100 of a file

Hi Everybody, I am trying to write a script that will get some perticuler data from a file and redirect to a file. My Question is, I have a Very huge file,In that file I have my required data is started from 25th line and it will ends in 100th line. I know the line numbers, I need to get all... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anji
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the line number from a grep ?

Hi there does anybody know how i can get the line number from an entry or entries in a file ?? for example if i had a file test1 test2 test3 test1 and i needed to get the line numbers for all instances of test1 in that file with the answer being (1,4) Would anybody be able... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the number of occurence of a word in a line

suppose i have this line abs|der|gt|dftnrk|dtre i want to count the number of "|" in this line.. how can i do that. plz help:confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding line with highest number in a file

Hi All, My file looks some thing like this, File 1: - A 10 B 30 C 5 D 25 E 72 F 23 now my requirement is to find the line with highest number in it, i;e the result should be E 72 Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balu_puttaganti
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the line with the exact same number

Hello All, What i am doing is , i tail a file from certain chatacter and then cat -n to get the line numbers.I search for a particular string and gets it line number. What i am interested in is the next line immediately after the pattern i search. But grep gives me result for all line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailash19
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for fast way of finding line number for a regex

Hello, I am trying to find out the line numbers where regex match and put them into a file with below command: awk '/'$pat'/ {print NR}' $fileName >> temp.txt where $pat is the regex but this command is taking a lot of time to execute with bigger files for size more than 5000000... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeColeEPL9
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding last line of file: if statement depending on that line.

Good morning, My first time actually posting in this forum, though I have used this forum to help with numerous projects. I am trying to figure out why my if statement does not work. I have a file where a line is inputted every 15 seconds. I want this if statement to check what the last line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shanrunt
3 Replies
PASTE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste -- merge corresponding or subsequent lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file ... DESCRIPTION
The paste utility concatenates the corresponding lines of the given input files, replacing all but the last file's newline characters with a single tab character, and writes the resulting lines to standard output. If end-of-file is reached on an input file while other input files still contain data, the file is treated as if it were an endless source of empty lines. The options are as follows: -d list Use one or more of the provided characters to replace the newline characters instead of the default tab. The characters in list are used circularly, i.e., when list is exhausted the first character from list is reused. This continues until a line from the last input file (in default operation) or the last line in each file (using the -s option) is displayed, at which time paste begins selecting characters from the beginning of list again. The following special characters can also be used in list: newline character tab character \ backslash character Empty string (not a null character). Any other character preceded by a backslash is equivalent to the character itself. -s Concatenate all of the lines of each separate input file in command line order. The newline character of every line except the last line in each input file is replaced with the tab character, unless otherwise specified by the -d option. If '-' is specified for one or more of the input files, the standard input is used; standard input is read one line at a time, circularly, for each instance of '-'. EXIT STATUS
The paste utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
List the files in the current directory in three columns: ls | paste - - - Combine pairs of lines from a file into single lines: paste -s -d ' ' myfile Number the lines in a file, similar to nl(1): sed = myfile | paste -s -d ' ' - - Create a colon-separated list of directories named bin, suitable for use in the PATH environment variable: find / -name bin -type d | paste -s -d : - SEE ALSO
cut(1), lam(1) STANDARDS
The paste utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A paste command appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 25, 2004 BSD