Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: explanation of test function
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting explanation of test function Post 302536773 by mady135 on Wednesday 6th of July 2011 07:58:59 AM
Old 07-06-2011
explanation of test function

I have found a code some where, which looks like
Code:
if (test $value)
then
<do something>
fi

I am not understanding what is test doing here. I have seen test with !,-eq, -e etc.
But, the above appears to be a new one to me.
Can anyone please expalin me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C function to test string or integer

Hi everyone , Is there any predefined C function that tests whether an input is string or an integer? Thank's in advance :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qqq
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

function to test if file is open

I need to write a function that will work in sh/ksh shell that will test to see if a file has already been opened for writting by another user has anyone written something like this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnsonbryce
3 Replies

3. Programming

C function to test existence of a login

Hi everybody, I need to check in C program whether a given login is known on the system. Is there any system function that could do this ? So far, all I could find is getpwnam(), which answers my problem by parsing the local password database. But won't work if a user is authenticated by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavier054
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

test for function name?

Hi, I found this: https://www.unix.com/unix-advanced-expert-users/27318-how-see-function-shell.html which indicates I can use typeset -f to list the functions. But it also lists the contents of the functions. Is there a lighter weight way to see what is defined? Is there an internal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: duderonomy
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test function not working

i am writing the following snippet and cannot figure out why the variable measType remains 0. it should be 1 I also tried "\#analog" and '\#analog' in the test statement and it still doesn't work. What is going on? bash$ measType=0 bash$ read line < 2iconfig.ini bash$ echo $line #analog... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oahmad
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation on problem "match" function awk

Hello Unix experts, If I could get any explanations on why the code below doesn't work it would be great ! My input looks like that ("|" delimited): Saaaaabbbbbccccc|ok Sdddddfffffggggg|ok The goal is, if $2 is "ok", to remove everything before the pattern given in the match function... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrong test interpretation for simple function.

Hello everyone, I have written simple script below to check if ip is added to interface #!/usr/local/bin/bash IFCONFIG="/sbin/ifconfig" SERVICE="/usr/sbin/service" IP="79.137.X.X" GREP=$(${IFCONFIG} | grep ${IP}) ip_quantity_check () { echo ${GREP} | wc -l } if ];... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryn1u
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Function explanation

dear sir, I am new to unix zone. need some explanation on the function used. cat /apps/prd/venue/code/bin/std.funcs #!/usr/bin/ksh #------------------------------------------------------------------- # printmsg: prints the message given in arg 1 with timestamp to # stdout... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamsoft
3 Replies
GO-TEST(1)						      General Commands Manual							GO-TEST(1)

NAME
go - tool for managing Go source code SYNOPSIS
go test [-c] [-i] [ build flags ] [ packages ] [ flags for test binary ] DESCRIPTION
"Go test" automates testing the packages named by the import paths. It prints a summary of the test results in the format: ok archive/tar 0.011s FAIL archive/zip 0.022s ok compress/gzip 0.033s ... followed by detailed output for each failed package. "Go test" recompiles each package along with any files with names matching the file pattern "*_test.go". These additional files can con- tain test functions, benchmark functions, and example functions. See go-testfunc(7) for more. By default, go test needs no arguments. It compiles and tests the package with source in the current directory, including tests, and runs the tests. The package is built in a temporary directory so it does not interfere with the non-test installation. OPTIONS
In addition to the build flags, the flags handled by 'go test' itself are: -c Compile the test binary to pkg.test but do not run it. -i Install packages that are dependencies of the test. Do not run the test. The test binary also accepts flags that control execution of the test; these flags are also accessible by 'go test'. See go-testflag(7) for details. For more about build flags, see go-build(1). For more about specifying packages, see go-packages(7). SEE ALSO
go-build(1), go-vet(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Michael Stapelberg <stapelberg@debian.org>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). 2012-05-13 GO-TEST(1)