Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Magic numbers '&' operator problem Post 302536538 by segmentation on Tuesday 5th of July 2011 04:46:50 PM
Old 07-05-2011
Sorry, I do not understand functionality of ^ operator by this sentences
" "^0x1" means low order bit must be 0 "

I posted above and will write again clearly.

In my magic.mime there is only one line
"0 byte ^0xd3 file\ detected"

and in my test file named myfile, the first byte is 0xb1.

0xd3 = 11010011
0xb1 = 10110001

when I write 'file -m magic.mime myfile'
it prints "file detected".

According to your explanation there should be 0 bits on testing byte corresponding 1 bits in magic.mime but in example above there is nothing like that.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem about c++ new operator

#include <iostream.h> class test { private: int i; public: inline test(int m) { i = m; } inline int get_i() { return i; } }; int main() { test * a = new test(2); (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xbjxbj
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple conditions in if using && operator

VARIABLE="project" if && ] then echo "VARIABLE is not empty" fi this is not working what is wrong in the syntax?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: codeman007
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem unary operator expected

I get the following error ./get_NE05: line 42: while do echo ${STRING_NAME} J=1 if ; then EXT=0$I else EXT=$I fi while do echo $I-$J #calculating last occurrence OCCURRENCE=`grep -io "${STRING_NAME}"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris magic number problem

Hello, When I boot up my ancient SUNOS 5 system. it stops at the OK prompt and complains about a bad magic number. I have told that I need run fsck but I cannot seem to do so from the OK prompt. How can I get into a diagnostic mode so I can run fsck? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with pipe operator

hi i am having issues with extra pipe. i have a data file and i need to remove the extra pipe in the(example 4th and 7thline) in datafile. there are many other line and filed like this which i need to remove from files. The sample data is below: 270 31|455004|24/03/2010|0001235|72 271... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_n123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative to && operator

"Both cases have to be true for the expression to evaluate "true". is that not so. the following code does a read from a txt file, an then suppose to do the deletion ,but although the condition exists, its not performing the deletion && echo "\n\t Deleting printer ${prt} !!!" if !... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggoliath
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write If statement using && and operator in Unix

Hi What is the syntax for if statement using && and || operator? if && ] || here its giving me an error to this if statement any suggestion?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avi
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Magic numbers string/B problem

Hello, In manpage magic(5) " The “B” flag compacts whitespace in the target, which must contain at least one whitespace character. If the magic has n consecutive blanks, the target needs at least n consecutive blanks to match. The “b” flag treats every blank in the target as an optional... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: segmentation
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Platform - NDM Script - && Operator

Hi All, I have a requirement where i need to NDM 3 files from LINUX to Mainframe system & trigger a job in mainframe once the 3 files are transmitted successfully. I am getting an error message in the && operator (the code component where i am checking whether step 1/2/3 are completed). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
2 Replies
update-mime-database(1) 					   User Commands					   update-mime-database(1)

NAME
update-mime-database - build the shared MIME_Info database cache SYNOPSIS
update-mime-database -h | -v | mime-dir DESCRIPTION
update-mime-database updates the shared mime-info cache according to the system described in the Shared MIME-Info Database specification from the X Desktop Group. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -h Display a command summary. -v Display version information OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: MIME-dir The directory for which update-mime-database should rebuild the cache. This option is mandatory if no other option is pro- vided. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Update Shared mime-info Cache for /usr/share example% update-mime-database /usr/share ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5). EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/update-mime-datExecutable to build the shared MIME_Info database cache ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gnome-vfs-mime-magic(4), gnome-vfs.applications(4), gnome-vfs.keys(4), gnome-vfs.mime(4) Shared mime info at http://www.freedesktop.org. NOTES
Original man page written by Filip Von Raemdonck (mechanix@debian.org). Updated by Matt Keenan, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 update-mime-database(1)