Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split a single record to multiple records & add folder name to each line Post 302536473 by Morgan Greywolf on Tuesday 5th of July 2011 01:16:01 PM
Old 07-05-2011
If you know that each of the records is exactly 44 characters, then you can just use the fold command (assuming you're using a POSIX compliant shell):

Code:
fold -w44 /abc/$(date +%Y%m%d)/def/asdf.dat | sed "s/$/ $(date +%Y%m%d)/" >/abc/$(date +%Y%m%d)/def/asdf_split

but that assumes that each of the records is always 44 characters and they never contain any embedded newlines, etc.

---------- Post updated at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:14 PM ----------

BTW -- that looks almost exactly like HPGL.

Last edited by Morgan Greywolf; 07-05-2011 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: thinko misplaced quote

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort & Split records in a file

Hi, I am new to scripting. I need a script to sort and the records in a file and then split them into different files. For example, the file is: H1...................... H2...................... D2.................... D2.................... H1........................... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunitha_edi82
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing record into multiple records in Shell Script

Hi, I am trying to parse a very long record in a text file into multiple records by checking ADD, DELETE, or MODIFY field value in a shell script. Input # File name xyz.txt ADD|N000|8015662|DELETE|N001|9915662|MODIFY|N999|85678 Output ADD|N000|8015662| DELETE|N001|9915662|... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveed
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single/Multiple Line with Special characters - Find & Replace in Unix Script

Hi, I am creating a script to do a find and replace single/multiple lines in a file with any number of lines. I have written a logic in a script that reads a reference file say "findrep" and populates two variables $FIND and $REPLACE print $FIND gives Hi How r $u Rahul() Note:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sarnayak
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple records based on ';' in the record

Hi All, I have a *.csv files in a die /pro/lif/dow, (pipe delimiter file), these files are having 8 columns and 6 column(CDR_LOGIC) records are populated as below, I need to incorporate the below logic in all the *.csv files. 11||:ColumnA||:ColumnB 123||:ColumnA IIF(:ColumnA = :ColumnC then... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split single record to multiple records

Hi Friends, source .... col1,col2,col3 a,b,1;2;3 here colom delimeter is comma(,). here we dont know what is the max length of col3 means now we have 1;2;3 next time i will receive 1;2;3;4;5;etc... required output .............. col1,col2,col3 a,b,1 a,b,2 a,b,3 please give me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bab.galary
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split records into multiple records

Hi All, I am trying to split a record into multiple records based on a value. Input.txt "A",1,0,10 "B",2,0,10,15,20 "C",3,11,14,16,19,21,23 "D",1,0,5 My desired output is: "A",1,0,10 "B",2,0,10 "B",2,15,20 "C",3,11,14 "C",3,16,19 "C",3,21,23 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Records from 1 Record

I need to make one record to multiple records based on occurence column in the record and change the date.For example below first record has 5 ,so need to create 5 records from one and change the date to 5 months.Occurence can be any number. I am unable to come with a script.Can some one help ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: traininfa
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a large file in n records and skip a particular record

Hello All, I have a large file, more than 50,000 lines, and I want to split it in even 5000 records. Which I can do using sed '1d;$d;' <filename> | awk 'NR%5000==1{x="F"++i;}{print > x}'Now I need to add one more condition that is not to break the file at 5000th record if the 5000th record... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibmtech
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split one record to multiple records?

Hi, I have one tab delimited file which is having multiple store_ids in first column seprated by pipe.I want to split the file on the basis of store_id(separating 1st record in to 2 records ). I tried some more options like below with using split,awk etc ,But not able to get proper output. can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaggy
1 Replies
subst(3tcl)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       subst(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(3tcl), eval(3tcl), break(3tcl), continue(3tcl) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(3tcl)