Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers some basic unix questions pls iam a newbie Post 302536370 by scimitar on Tuesday 5th of July 2011 08:16:01 AM
Old 07-05-2011
Hammer & Screwdriver some basic unix questions pls iam a newbie

what is a assembler

what isa interpreter

what is a compiler

what is a socket

what is a port

what is meant by listening to a port how we do it

how to know version and standard of unix one is using when one is on public access unix account

how to see a jobid in unixSmilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic UNIX questions

Can somebody please tell me a little about UNIX OS. For instance, is it ideal for digital media or how easy is it to get help and support? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: buk5d
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Unix Questions

OK, here's a question from a true UNIX newb: How does one make a 20 line file? I'm lost. :confused: OK, I figured it out. :D (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kitchen Zinc
0 Replies

3. Programming

Basic questions on writing a Unix Service (newbie help!)

Hi there. I've got 12 years experience writing C++ on Windows, and 3 years C# on Windows. Now my boss wants me to write a C++ app to run on Unix as a multithreaded 'service' (i.e. a program that runs with no user intervention). Some quick questions for The Experts: * Whats the best C++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rutland Gizz
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix questions for newbie

Hi Unix gurus, I know these are some easy questions. But i just want to be sure about them. Hope someone can help explain the following please? 1) if ] - What does the "-r" means? 2) isql -U $DBUSER -D $DBNAME -S $DSQUERY -w 1000 -s";" << testfile > $FILE - What does the -s";" mean and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gholdbhurg
1 Replies

5. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Pls help me in posting questions

Hi, I like to post questions in this forum. Please provide previleges for me to post queries. Many Thanks -Beginner (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginscript
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

some basic questions about unix ..

Hi all today i gone through worst interview of my life that for hour questions were so basic but i never though about them now i am figuring out answers my self but i would appreciate if you ppl help me ... i am listing some of the questions i remember .. 1 ) $ cat a.sh #! /usr/bin/ksh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couple of newbie Unix questions

I entered a command at the prompt and it's interactive (not background). It gathers some stats and writes them to a file. I want to see this job running and what it's doing - I/O especially and maybe CPU and stuff. What can do to see this (say using a second session?) I know it's a long job but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ido1957
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Newbie question

Hey guys I searched for this for the past few hours but maybe I dont know what the heck I am searching for. I am looking how to locate my .profile and where the heck I can find it to be able to edit it. Thanks in advance. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Koopa_Troopa
11 Replies
MEMCACHE.CONNECT(3)							 1						       MEMCACHE.CONNECT(3)

Memcache::connect - Open memcached server connection

SYNOPSIS
bool Memcache::connect (string $host, [int $port], [int $timeout]) DESCRIPTION
Memcache.connect(3) establishes a connection to the memcached server. The connection, which was opened using Memcache.connect(3) will be automatically closed at the end of script execution. Also you can close it with Memcache.close(3). Also you can use memcache_connect(3) function. PARAMETERS
o $host - Point to the host where memcached is listening for connections. This parameter may also specify other transports like unix:///path/to/memcached.sock to use UNIX domain sockets, in this case $port must also be set to 0. o $port - Point to the port where memcached is listening for connections. Set this parameter to 0 when using UNIX domain sockets. Please note: $port defaults to memcache.default_port if not specified. For this reason it is wise to specify the port explicitly in this method call. o $timeout - Value in seconds which will be used for connecting to the daemon. Think twice before changing the default value of 1 second - you can lose all the advantages of caching if your connection is too slow. NOTES
Warning When the $port is unspecified, this method defaults to the value set of the PHP ini directive memcache.default_port If this value was changed elsewhere in your application it might lead to unexpected results: for this reason it is wise to always specify the port explicitly in this method call. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Memcache.connect(3) example <?php /* procedural API */ $memcache_obj = memcache_connect('memcache_host', 11211); /* OO API */ $memcache = new Memcache; $memcache->connect('memcache_host', 11211); ?> SEE ALSO
Memcache.pconnect(3), Memcache.close(3). PHP Documentation Group MEMCACHE.CONNECT(3)