Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Groups
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Groups Post 302536286 by hubatuwang on Tuesday 5th of July 2011 03:11:06 AM
Old 07-05-2011
If you don't restrict "user rights", being in a group or not is not something really important. Let's assume that you have a file and you are using that file with your friends but you don't want your family to use that file. So you can make at least two groups and forbid the "family" group to read or to write or to execute that file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about groups

:p I have a very elementary question that is kind of buggin me because I cannot figure it out. 1. How do you make a new group, give it a name, and assign permissions to specific users to access this group? 2. How do you delete a file that begins with a '-'? 3. How do you login as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zorro
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to fing groups

whats the command to find a particular group,pls its urgent thnks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkan77
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

users and groups

hi eveyone i've recently requested my unix admin to create a userid for 2 groups. He created the id and i can see it by grep "id" /etc/group. But when i login with that id into unix and try to cd that group it says permission denied. something like cd /groupname -- permission denied Can my admin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sammet
1 Replies

4. AIX

Where are my groups

Hello A couple of weeks ago, I added a user to an AIX 5.3 system. I go to add one today, and it appears that when creating a user in smit, I cannot see any groups. No primary groups No Group set No Admin Groups The /etc/group and etc/secuity/group files seem to be intact. I did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
4 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

putty groups

Hi all, need info on using putty as group. I am having huge numbers of servers. (say 100) I am using putty to login remotely. i want to group each 25 hostnames or a set of servers into one putty instance. (see image attached.) Currently i have to scroll down to see all the 100 servers. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
2 Replies

6. Solaris

groups

how to create 1000 users in 1 group (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
0 Replies

7. Solaris

groups

1 user in member of 4 groups find file permissions and default group (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Groups in Unix ???

What is Primary group and Secondary Group in Unix.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with regex groups

I have a requirement - replace specified positions in a string with a character. I found perl regex useful for this approach. however, I am facing the following issue. The target file 'temp' contains - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The goal is to convert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_roy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting in groups

Hi, I am looking at a slightly different sorting problem and I am not sure how to do it in bash. I have the following input: 0 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
8 Replies
PTS_CHOWN(1)						       AFS Command Reference						      PTS_CHOWN(1)

NAME
pts_chown - Changes the owner of a Protection Database entry SYNOPSIS
pts chown -name <group name> -owner <new owner> [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] [-help] pts cho -na <group name> -o <new owner> [-c <cell name>] [-no] [-l] [-f] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The pts chown command designates the user or group named by the -owner argument as the owner of the group named by the -name argument, and records the new owner in the owner field of the group's Protection Database entry. In the case of regular groups, this command automatically changes the group name's owner prefix (the part of the group name before the colon) to match the new owner. If the new owner is itself a group, then only its owner prefix, not its complete name, becomes the owner prefix in the new name. The change to the owner prefix does not propagate to any groups owned by the group, however. To make the owner prefix of such group-owned groups reflect the new owning group, use the pts rename command. It is not possible to change a user or machine entry's owner from the default set at creation time, the system:administrators group. CAUTIONS
While designating a machine as a group's owner does not cause an error, it is not recommended. The Protection Server does not extend the usual privileges of group ownership to users logged onto the machine. OPTIONS
-name <group name> Specifies the current name of the group to which to assign a new owner. -owner <new owner> Names the user or group to become the group's owner. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). EXAMPLES
The following example changes the owner of the group "terry:friends" from the user "terry" to the user "pat". A side effect is that the group name changes to "pat:friends". % pts chown -name terry:friends -owner pat The following example changes the owner of the group "terry:friends" from the user "terry" to the group "pat:buddies". A side effect is that the group name changes to "pat:friends". % pts chown -name terry:friends -owner pat:buddies PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must belong to the system:administrators group or currently own the group. SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_rename(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_CHOWN(1)