Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: multiple vi editor
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users multiple vi editor Post 302536122 by satishpv_2002 on Monday 4th of July 2011 07:07:27 AM
Old 07-04-2011
You can open a file in vi, and then within this session, you can open multiple files using :e filename.
you can switch to other currently opened files using ctrl+6.
Do remember it will allow you to switch to other files only when your current file is in saved mode.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi editor ?

Hello everybody, My question is: how to add /tmp/work at the end of line in vi editor. my file looks like: cp file1 cp file2 cp file3 **** I need to add " /tmp/work" at the end of each line. I tried this :%s/$/" /tmp/work" and this :%s/$/\ /tmp/work\/ but it does not work. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billy5
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

instead VI editor - which one?

I'd like to find some editor for HP-UX, something like notepad, but not VI editor. Can someone have some ideas which one? thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: diamond
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vi editor

Hi, how can I add at the begining and at the end of all of the lines of my text file in VI editor ? Many thanks before. for exemple if in my file i have line 1 line 2 I want to have : start line 1 end start line 2 end (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alain123456
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :Licen

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :License server is down (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

How to remove multiple spaces in between word? (VI EDITOR)?

What last line mode command allows me to remove extra spaces in between words in a text? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rabeel
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with vi Editor

1) vi editor normally opens in Execution mode . We have to press ESC + i to go to edit mode . But , I wanted the vi to open directly in edit mode . :confused: 2) One more query , When I create a NEW file using vi editor ....is there any way can I have the default text ...... For example : I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep from multiple patterns multiple file multiple output

Hi, I want to grep multiple patterns from multiple files and save to multiple outputs. As of now its outputting all to the same file when I use this command. Input : 108 files to check for 390 patterns to check for. output I need to 108 files with the searched patterns. Xargs -I {} grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to use @ in VI editor

Hello All, Need one Help for one issue. I am using a French Keyboard, so @ sign is on key 0 and i have to use right Alt + 0 to print it. It is working everywhere but not inside Vi editor. I can type @ in shell, in notepad. But inside Vi editor it is not working, another problem is that if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
2 Replies
COMP(1) 							     [nmh-1.5]								   COMP(1)

NAME
comp - compose a message SYNOPSIS
comp [+folder] [msg] [-form formfile] [-use | -nouse] [-file file] [-draftfolder +folder] [-draftmessage msg] [-nodraftfolder] [-editor editor] [-noedit] [-width columns] [-from address] [-to address] [-cc address] [-fcc +folder] [-subject text] [-whatnowproc program] [-nowhatnowproc] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Comp is used to create a new message to be mailed. It copies a message form to the draft being composed and then invokes an editor on the draft (unless -noedit is given, in which case the initial edit is suppressed). The default message template "components" will direct comp to construct the message draft as follows: From: {from switch} or <Local-Mailbox> or <username@hostname> To: {to switch} or blank cc: {cc switch} or blank Fcc: {fcc switch} or +outbox Subject: {subject switch} or blank -------- If a file named "components" exists in the user's nmh directory, it will be used instead of this form. You may specify an alternate forms file with the switch -form formfile. You may also start comp using the contents of an existing message as the form. If you supply either a +folder or msg argument, that mes- sage will be used as the message form. You may not supply both a -form formfile and a +folder or msg argument. The line of dashes or a blank line must be left between the header and the body of the message for the message to be identified properly when it is sent (see send(1)). The switch -use directs comp to continue editing an already started message. That is, if a comp (or dist, repl, or forw) is terminated without sending the draft, the draft can be edited again via "comp -use". The -file file switch says to use the named file as the message draft. Forms that are selected via the -form switch are processed via the nmh template system; see mh-format(5) for details. Drafts constructed from another message or with the -use or -file switchs will NOT be processed with mh-format(5). In addition to the standard mh-format(5) escapes, the following component escapes are either new or have an alternate meaning: Escape Returns Description fcc string Any folders specified with `-fcc folder' from string Any addresses specified with `-from address' to string Any addresses specified with `-to address' cc string Any addresses specified with `-cc address' subject string Any text specified with `-subject text' By default the "To:" and "cc:" fields are empty. You may add addresses to these fields with the -to address and -cc address switches. You may give these switches multiple times to add multiple addresses. By default the "From:" field has either the value of the Local-Mailbox profile entry or a system default email address. This default can be overridden by using the -from address switch. The default mailbox in the "Fcc:" field is +outbox. This can be overridden by the -fcc switch. Any text you give to the -subject switch will be placed in the "Subject:" field in the draft. If the draft already exists, comp will ask you as to the disposition of the draft. A reply of quit will abort comp, leaving the draft intact; replace will replace the existing draft with the appropriate form; list will display the draft; use will use the draft for further composition; and refile +folder will file the draft in the given folder, and give you a new draft with the appropriate form. (The +folder argument to refile is required.) The -draftfolder +folder and -draftmessage msg switches invoke the nmh draft folder facility. This is an advanced (and highly useful) fea- ture. Consult the mh-draft(5) man page for more information. The -editor editor switch indicates the editor to use for the initial edit. Upon exiting from the editor, comp will invoke the whatnow program. See whatnow(1) for a discussion of available options. The invocation of this program can be inhibited by using the -nowhatnow- proc switch. (In truth of fact, it is the whatnow program which starts the initial edit. Hence, -nowhatnowproc will prevent any edit from occurring.) FILES
/etc/nmh/components The standard message skeleton or <mh-dir>/components Rather than the standard skeleton $HOME/.mh_profile The user profile <mh-dir>/draft The draft file PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Draft-Folder: To find the default draft-folder Editor: To override the default editor Msg-Protect: To set mode when creating a new message (draft) fileproc: Program to refile the message whatnowproc: Program to ask the "What now?" questions SEE ALSO
dist(1), forw(1), repl(1), send(1), whatnow(1), mh-profile(5) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msg' defaults to the current message `-nodraftfolder' `-nouse' CONTEXT
None BUGS
If whatnowproc is whatnow, then comp uses a built-in whatnow, it does not actually run the whatnow program. Hence, if you define your own whatnowproc, don't call it whatnow since comp won't run it. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 COMP(1)