Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mv duplicating directories
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting mv duplicating directories Post 302535918 by methyl on Saturday 2nd of July 2011 08:33:09 PM
Old 07-02-2011
Quote:
#!/bin/bash
_w="/path/to/backups"
_wb="$_w/*.tar.gz"

if [ -d "$_w" ]; then
for f in $_wb
do
_f=$(basename $f)
_user=${_f%%.*}
_o=`grep "^$_user:" /etc/trueuserowners`
_owner=${_o#* }
if [ ! -d "$_w/$_owner" ]; then
`mkdir $_w/$_owner/`
fi
`mv $f $_w/$_owner/`
done
fi

1) Lose the backticks. In this context they are neither necessary or desirable.
e.g. `mv $f $_w/$_owner/` becomes mv $f $_w/$_owner/

2) There is no code posted which mentions $VERSION_CONTROL

3)
Quote:
Is there something specific that makes mv act like this when run from a cron job? Do I have to tell it to over-write instead of create these backups?
What is "act like this"? Please post detail of an example.
This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

duplicating 1st row of data

Hi, I have data in the following format: data1 data2 data3 data4 data5 data6 data7 data8 data9 data10 I require the final output to be: data1 data1 data1 data1 i only require the 1st line but I need to replicate it in n rows where n is the number of rows where data... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReV
4 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Sorry for duplicating posts

SORRY FOR DUPLICATING POSTS, COULD U JUST REMOVE THE FIRST ONE. Thank u. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vrguha
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

duplicating ignite tapes

I have a B180L controller running HP-UX 10.2 with an internal DDS2 tape drive and an external Surestore DDS (24gb) tape drive. I want to make duplicate copies of ignite tapes from one tape drive to another. What is the best way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garyb
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove duplicating lines

Hi, i have a webserver logfile and want to count how many page views there have been. I was thinking about removing lines that begin with the same user and same date&time, because it indicates they were just looking at one page and multiple hits were counted. My question is how do I do this?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JudithBorg
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

Duplicating ethernet speed

Hi guys, Suppose you have a server with two ethernet cards (1GB each) and each cards are connecting to two different switches cisco 3750. My question is: How can I setup my server's network interfaces to increase the throughput up to 2GB? is it possible? If not, do you know another way to up... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Duplicating MAC linux or net?

hi guys I have a IBM eServer BladeCenter HS12 with Linux Red Hat 5.4 installed on it, it is using Bonding. ifcfg-bond0 DEVICE=bond0 BOOTPROTO=none ONBOOT=yes TYPE=Ethernet IPADDR=x.x.x.x NETMASK=x.x.x.x GATEWAY=x.x.x.x USERCTL=no IPV6INIT=no PEERDNS=no BONDING_OPTS="miimon=80... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

duplicating a line

I have a text file which is the results of running a tests hundreds of times. For simplicity let's say that each test consists of 5 lines of text numbered 1-5 e.g. 1 aaa aaa aaa 2 bbb bbb bbb 3 ccc ccc ccc 4 ddd ddd ddd 5 eee eee eee 1 aaa aaa aaa 2 bbb bbb bbb 3 ccc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: millsy5
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duplicating and changing sh file

Hello, I have a file named file_1.sh that I want to duplicate into file_2.sh, file_3.sh,..., etc. I also need to change the text within each file so that it would fit the file name. For example, in file_1.sh there is a command to save some output as 'output_1.txt', and also there is an input... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haguyw
3 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)