Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find/Replace in XML file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find/Replace in XML file Post 302535549 by jimraynor on Friday 1st of July 2011 05:16:59 AM
Old 07-01-2011
Find/Replace in XML file

I am not sure how to approach this find/replace using a shell script. Any help or guidance appreciated.

I want to find this:

Code:
<objects/>
<thumb>thumb_0001.jpg</thumb>
<preview>preview_0001.jpg</preview>

And replace with something like this:

Code:
<objects>
<link>preview_0001.html</link>
</objects>
<thumb>thumb_0001.jpg</thumb>
<preview>preview_0001.jpg</preview>

I cant figure out how to make my replacement string include part of what i found, since i want the name of the html to be the name of the preview image. Is this possible with sed or awk?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and replace in XML

Hi I need one clarication.. I have an xml having many entries like this.. <Cust_Name>Tom Cruise</Cust_Name> I want to rename this to <Cust_Name>TEST</Cust_Name> Pls let me know how to do it.. I was trying some basic commands like grep 'Cust_Name' * | tr '>' ',' | tr '<' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wip_vasikaran
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with find and replace in XML

Hello Guys, I have this requirement with several hundred files. I have this first set of xml's files with the following tags spread across the file FILE in SET A <Name>Lion</Name> <Age>15</Age> ..... .... ... <Date>2009-12-12</Date> Now i have this another set of files which... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace %20 in xml file

Hi, I'd like to use sed in order to replace %20 and other "special" characters that are represented with % and some number combination in xml file. Typical line looks like this: /Users/imac1/Music/iTunes/iTunes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrejm
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to replace particular content in a xml file

Hi, My requirement is to find a text and replace it with another in a XML file. I am new to Unix,Please provide some suggestion to achieve. Find: <Style ss:ID="ColumnHeader1"> Replace with: <Style ss:ID="ColumnHeader1"> <Borders> <Border ss:Position="Bottom"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Node and replace line(s) preceding in xml file

Hello, I have an xml file whose contacts are like below: <Node>Apple <B>Value1</B> <B>Value2</B> <B>Value3</B> </Node> <Node>Mango <B>Value1</B> <B>Value2</B> <B>Value3</B> </Node> <Node>Apple <B>Value1</B> <B>Value2</B> <B>Value3</B> </Node> <Node>Bannana (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umarsatti
3 Replies

6. Linux

Linux command to find and replace occurance of more than two equal sign with "==" from XML file.

Please help me, wasted hrs:wall:, to find this soulution:- I need a command that will work on file (xml) and replace multiple occurrence (more than 2 times) Examples 1. '===' 2. '====' 3. '=======' should be replaced by just '==' Note :- single character should be replaced. (=... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedRocks!!
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace from an XML

Input-xml <weblogic-web-app> <session-descriptor> <session-param> <param-name>SysName</param-name> <param-value>smilyface</param-value> </session-param> <session-param> <param-name>InternetProtocol</param-name> <param-value>xxxxxxxx</param-value> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in xml

Hi All, My XML file looks like below: <logEvent xsi:type="logservice:LogEvent" timestamp="1394713811052" severity="3" messageCode="TM_6228" message="Writing session output to log file ." user="" stacktrace="" service="" serviceType="IS" clientNode="dev" pid="712" threadName="DIRECTOR"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: galaxy_rocky
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string in a xml file

Hello, I have below xml file, I want to find line default-value and replace the string within quotes followed by default-value "moni/Websphere/". Replace moni/Websphere/ with monitor/AMQ/ <monitor> <name>WebsphereMqMonitor</name> <type>managed</type> <argument... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince1987
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find replace text in xml file on the fly

Dear Unix guru, I have a .XML file which is being used to load data to oracle. This file comes on unix box and one of the tag in xml is oracle key word. I want to find that tag and replace with new tag on the fly For example I will get one of the tag in xml is as below <from>Test Test... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
12 Replies
WRJPGCOM(1)						      General Commands Manual						       WRJPGCOM(1)

NAME
wrjpgcom - insert text comments into a JPEG file SYNOPSIS
wrjpgcom [ -replace ] [ -comment text ] [ -cfile name ] [ filename ] DESCRIPTION
wrjpgcom reads the named JPEG/JFIF file, or the standard input if no file is named, and generates a new JPEG/JFIF file on standard output. A comment block is added to the file. The JPEG standard allows "comment" (COM) blocks to occur within a JPEG file. Although the standard doesn't actually define what COM blocks are for, they are widely used to hold user-supplied text strings. This lets you add annotations, titles, index terms, etc to your JPEG files, and later retrieve them as text. COM blocks do not interfere with the image stored in the JPEG file. The maximum size of a COM block is 64K, but you can have as many of them as you like in one JPEG file. wrjpgcom adds a COM block, containing text you provide, to a JPEG file. Ordinarily, the COM block is added after any existing COM blocks; but you can delete the old COM blocks if you wish. OPTIONS
Switch names may be abbreviated, and are not case sensitive. -replace Delete any existing COM blocks from the file. -comment text Supply text for new COM block on command line. -cfile name Read text for new COM block from named file. If you have only one line of comment text to add, you can provide it on the command line with -comment. The comment text must be sur- rounded with quotes so that it is treated as a single argument. Longer comments can be read from a text file. If you give neither -comment nor -cfile, then wrjpgcom will read the comment text from standard input. (In this case an input image file name MUST be supplied, so that the source JPEG file comes from somewhere else.) You can enter multiple lines, up to 64KB worth. Type an end-of-file indicator (usually control-D) to terminate the comment text entry. wrjpgcom will not add a COM block if the provided comment string is empty. Therefore -replace -comment "" can be used to delete all COM blocks from a file. EXAMPLES
Add a short comment to in.jpg, producing out.jpg: wrjpgcom -c "View of my back yard" in.jpg > out.jpg Attach a long comment previously stored in comment.txt: wrjpgcom in.jpg < comment.txt > out.jpg or equivalently wrjpgcom -cfile comment.txt < in.jpg > out.jpg SEE ALSO
cjpeg(1), djpeg(1), jpegtran(1), rdjpgcom(1) AUTHOR
Independent JPEG Group 15 June 1995 WRJPGCOM(1)