Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: free memory in debian linux
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users free memory in debian linux Post 302535492 by Corona688 on Friday 1st of July 2011 01:08:55 PM
Old 07-01-2011
Let me quote this and put it in code tags so the columns line up and I can read it.

[edit] Argh, I can't, copy-pasting ruins the spacing and I can't even quote you to get it, it just vanishes completely because you put it in quote instead of code tags. Could you repost in code tags?

---------- Post updated at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:58 PM ----------

That 2396 in cache counts as free memory by the way, don't be alarmed because of the low count in 'free'.

---------- Post updated 07-01-11 at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous update was 06-30-11 at 11:01 PM ----------

Yes, Java is using 20% of available memory. The important column is RSS, for "resident set size", which only counts memory actually in RAM and physically in use.

Sometimes there's complications like lots of shared libraries artificially inflating the memory count(imagine a 10MB shared library used in 100 processes, which'd total a gig, even though it's using the same ten megs of physical RAM for all of them) but this isn't one of them.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Determining free(available) memory in MV linux

HI I'm a rookie in C programming and I'm working in Monta Vista Linux. I have to write a program that displays free memory. I have memtester(allready written by someone else) and now I have to type how much amount of memory tester will test and I want that memtester finds out himself how much of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: trancedeejay
11 Replies

2. Linux

Free Linux Memory by Dropping Caches

Linux Kernels 2.6.16 and up provide a way to instruct the kernel to drop the page cache, inode and dentry caches on command. This tip can help free Linux memory without a reboot. Note: This is a non-destructive operation. Dirty objects are not freeable, hence; you must run sync beforehand. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. Linux

Linux Server free memory decreases

Hi, I am facing one problem, On our Linux server Free memory decreases gradually but my java process memory does not increase. Please any one tell, why free memory decreases gradually (1MB in approx 15 minutes). kernel details:- Linux linux4 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:27:17 EDT... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav Agarwal
13 Replies

4. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

5. Solaris

how to get the more memory free space (see memory free column)

Hi all, Could please let me know how to get the more memory free space (not added the RAM) in local zone. -bash-3.00# vmstat 2 5 kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b w swap free re mf pi po fr de sr s0 s1 s1 s1 in sy cs us sy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murthy76
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Out of Memory error when free memory size is large

I was running a program and it stopped and showed "Out of Memory!". at that time, the RAM used by this process is around 4G and the free memory size of the machine is around 30G. Does anybody know what maybe the reason? this program is written with Perl. the OS of the machine is Solaris U8. And I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lilili07
1 Replies
IPC::SharedMem(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       IPC::SharedMem(3pm)

NAME
IPC::SharedMem - SysV Shared Memory IPC object class SYNOPSIS
use IPC::SysV qw(IPC_PRIVATE S_IRUSR S_IWUSR); use IPC::SharedMem; $shm = IPC::SharedMem->new(IPC_PRIVATE, 8, S_IRWXU); $shm->write(pack("S", 4711), 2, 2); $data = $shm->read(0, 2); $ds = $shm->stat; $shm->remove; DESCRIPTION
A class providing an object based interface to SysV IPC shared memory. METHODS
new ( KEY , SIZE , FLAGS ) Creates a new shared memory segment associated with "KEY". A new segment is created if o "KEY" is equal to "IPC_PRIVATE" o "KEY" does not already have a shared memory segment associated with it, and "FLAGS & IPC_CREAT" is true. On creation of a new shared memory segment "FLAGS" is used to set the permissions. Be careful not to set any flags that the Sys V IPC implementation does not allow: in some systems setting execute bits makes the operations fail. id Returns the shared memory identifier. read ( POS, SIZE ) Read "SIZE" bytes from the shared memory segment at "POS". Returns the string read, or "undef" if there was an error. The return value becomes tainted. See shmread. write ( STRING, POS, SIZE ) Write "SIZE" bytes to the shared memory segment at "POS". Returns true if successful, or false if there is an error. See shmwrite. remove Remove the shared memory segment from the system or mark it as removed as long as any processes are still attached to it. is_removed Returns true if the shared memory segment has been removed or marked for removal. stat Returns an object of type "IPC::SharedMem::stat" which is a sub-class of "Class::Struct". It provides the following fields. For a description of these fields see you system documentation. uid gid cuid cgid mode segsz lpid cpid nattach atime dtime ctime attach ( [FLAG] ) Permanently attach to the shared memory segment. When a "IPC::SharedMem" object is attached, it will use memread and memwrite instead of shmread and shmwrite for accessing the shared memory segment. Returns true if successful, or false on error. See shmat. detach Detach from the shared memory segment that previously has been attached to. Returns true if successful, or false on error. See shmdt. addr Returns the address of the shared memory that has been attached to in a format suitable for use with "pack('P')". Returns "undef" if the shared memory has not been attached. SEE ALSO
IPC::SysV, Class::Struct AUTHORS
Marcus Holland-Moritz <mhx@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Version 2.x, Copyright (C) 2007-2010, Marcus Holland-Moritz. Version 1.x, Copyright (c) 1997, Graham Barr. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 IPC::SharedMem(3pm)