Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Parallel Processing Detection and Program Return Value Detection Post 302535479 by azar.zorn on Thursday 30th of June 2011 10:45:42 PM
Old 06-30-2011
is it possible to tell what created the thread or child process? or follow the child/thread to find the program it is linked to?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

virus detection

IS there virus software for unix? I worked in a Solaris environment and dont remember having anything. I also ask because the current enviroment i am working on is Microsoft and they argue that they do not use unix because of virus detection. Any input would be greatly appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

modem detection

How to get information that where is my modem configured in /dev. I have two modems configured in my device .. one is USB and other is PCI modem.. USB is detected as /dev/USB0. but how to see about PCI modem? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s123.radha
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parallel processing using AWK program

Hi All, could any expert tell me about writing a parallel processing program using AWK program is possible or not? Any example would be much appreciated... With Regards / Mysore Ganapati :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAT detection

hellou, can anybody help me with nat detection in real time ? i prefer some detection script because i try some nat detection program's for example p0f or i'm using tcpdump, but i would get contain of specific packet. Some ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheTechnic
1 Replies

5. AIX

NFS mount detection

Hi, I have a handy script in Linux, part of which checks for the presence of nfs mounts, using the information in /proc/mounts. Is there a suitable command or file in AIX that could be used in a similar way? Many thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SDG
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL Injection Detection

I want to grep/awk /var/log/httpd/mysite-access_log.log and check if 2 words from the following appear in a single line: benchmark union information_schema drop truncate group_concat into file case hex lpad group order having insert union select from (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: koutroul
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl detection of redirect

This URL: Internet Archive Wayback Machine ..will redirect to this URL when using a browser: https://web.archive.org/web/20140110200053/http://rapor.tuik.gov.tr/reports/rwservlet?adnksdb2&ENVID=adnksdb2Env&report=wa_idari_yapi_10sonrasi.RDF&p_il1=17&p_yil=2012&p_dil=2&desformat=html But... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mid Ocean
0 Replies
vfork(2)							System Calls Manual							  vfork(2)

NAME
vfork - spawn new process; share virtual memory SYNOPSIS
REMARKS
is a higher performance version of that is provided on some systems where a performance advantage can be attained. If the calling process is multi-threaded, the newly created child process will only contain one thread. This one thread will be a copy of the thread calling differs from only in that the child process can share code and data with the calling process (parent process). This speeds cloning activ- ity significantly at a risk to the integrity of the parent process if is misused. The use of for any purpose except as a prelude to an immediate or is not supported. Any program that relies upon the differences between and is not portable across HP-UX systems. All HP-UX implementations must provide the entry but it is permissible for them to treat it identically to On some implementations the two are not distinguished because the implementation is as efficient as possible. Other versions may do the same to avoid the overhead of sup- porting two similar calls. DESCRIPTION
can be used to create new processes without fully copying the address space of the old process. If a forked process is simply going to do an (see exec(2)), the data space copied from the parent to the child by is not used. This is particularly inefficient in a paged environ- ment, making particularly useful. Depending upon the size of the parent's data space, can give a significant performance improvement over differs from in that the child borrows the parent's memory and thread of control until a call to or an exit (either by a call to or abnor- mally (see exec(2) and exit(2)). The parent process is suspended while the child is using its resources. returns 0 in the child's context and (later) the pid of the child in the parent's context. can normally be used just like It does not work, however, to return while running in the child's context from the procedure which called since the eventual return from would then return to a no longer existent stack frame. The window begins at the call and ends when the child completes its call. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns a value of 0 to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent process. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned to the parent, no child process is created, and is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails and no child process is created if any of the following conditions are encountered: The system-wide limit on the total number of processes under execution would be exceeded. The system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under execution by a single user would be exceeded. DEPENDENCIES
Servers Process times for the parent and child processes within the window may be inaccurate. Parent and child processes share the same stack space within the window. If the size of the stack has been changed within this win- dow by the child process (return from or call to a function, for example), it is likely that the parent and child processes will be killed with signal or In the window, a call to (see signal(2) that installs a catching function can affect handling of the signal by the parent. The par- ent is not affected if the handling is being set to or or if is used (see sigaction(2)). AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), sigaction(2), wait(2). vfork(2)