Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut line from file till the end Post 302535362 by Sanjay2121 on Thursday 30th of June 2011 12:50:28 PM
Old 06-30-2011
Bug Cut line from file till the end

Hi
I have a 57 line text file and I want to cut first 6 line assigned it to a veriable and again cut next 6 line assigned to same variable till the time file have left 0 line.

Please let me know how I can do in scripting.

Thanks

Sanjay

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To cut end string from line

HI, I want to cut end string from line. e.g. i have following input line /users/home/test.txt I want to get end string 'test.txt' from above line and length of that end string will change and it always start after '/'. Thanks, Visu (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: visu
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Select or cut from the certain filed to the end of the line

Hi: I have few rows in file..Like suppose... 9063C0 44 00051363603253033253347 3333 070248 06 9063C0 5G PAN00013 9063C0 44 00061030305040404250724 0506 100248 08 9063C0 43 01 00000089 I need to cut the row starting after... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajesh_955
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent! Sed/Awk Filter Find Pattern Delete Till End Of Line

Hi, I need help with using an awk or sed filter on the below line ALTER TABLE "ACCOUNT" ADD CONSTRAINT "ACCOUNT_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("ACCT_ID") USING INDEX PCTFREE 10 INITRANS 2 MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 65536 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1) TABLESPACE "WMC_DATA" LOGGING ENABLE Look for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent Help required : awk/sed help to find pattern and delete till end of line

Hi, I need help with using an awk or sed filter on the below line ALTER TABLE "ACCOUNT" ADD CONSTRAINT "ACCOUNT_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("ACCT_ID") USING INDEX PCTFREE 10 INITRANS 2 MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 65536 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1) TABLESPACE "WMC_DATA" LOGGING ENABLE Look for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subsitute from a position till end of line.

Hi, Having a following file's content, lets say: ABC|ANA|LDJ|||||DKD|||||| AJJ|KKDD||KKDK|||||||||||| KKD||KD|||LLLD||||LLD||||| Problem: Need to replace pipes from 8th occurrence of pipe till end. so the result should be: ABC|ANA|LDJ|||||DKD AJJ|KKDD||KKDK|||| ------- ------- ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: _Noprofi
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep from a starting line till the end of the file

Hi Folks, I got to know from this forums on how to grep from a particular line say line 6 awk 'NR==6 {print;exit}' But how do i grep from line 6 till the end of the file or command output. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Zer0
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line starting from space till end.

Hi, I have a code tag, from which i have the below snippet: intelrpt.GetCMB_FB type=ODBC> intelrpt.GetCMB_FB type=SYBASE> I want the output like: intelrpt.GetCMB_FB intelrpt.GetCMB_FB That is remove the lines starting from WHITESPACE till end. Please help. I am new to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match till the end of the file.

I have a file which is like this ……………………………………….. ………………………………… ………………………………… …………………………………… ……………………………………. ……………………………… <<<from_here>>> ……………………………… ………………………………. I want a script which would fetch the data starting from <<<from_here>>> in the file till the end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: halfafringe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX help to print 50 lines after every 3rd occurrence pattern till end of file

I need help with extract/print lines till stop pattern. This needs to happen after every 3rd occurrence of start pattern and continue till end of file. Consider below is an example of the log file. my start pattern will be every 3rd occurrence of ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND and stop pattern will be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NSS
5 Replies
XCUTSEL(1)						      General Commands Manual							XCUTSEL(1)

NAME
xcutsel - interchange between cut buffer and selection SYNOPSIS
xcutsel [ -toolkitoption ...] [-selection selection] [-cutbuffer number] DESCRIPTION
The xcutsel program is used to copy the current selection into a cut buffer and to make a selection that contains the current contents of the cut buffer. It acts as a bridge between applications that don't support selections and those that do. By default, xcutsel will use the selection named PRIMARY and the cut buffer CUT_BUFFER0. Either or both of these can be overridden by com- mand line arguments or by resources. An xcutsel window has the following buttons: quit When this button is pressed, xcutsel exits. Any selections held by xcutsel are automatically released. copy PRIMARY to 0 When this button is pressed, xcutsel copies the current selection into the cut buffer. copy 0 to PRIMARY When this button is pressed, xcutsel converts the current contents of the cut buffer into the selection. The button labels reflect the selection and cutbuffer selected by command line options or through the resource database. When the ``copy 0 to PRIMARY'' button is activated, the button will remain inverted as long as xcutsel remains the owner of the selection. This serves to remind you which client owns the current selection. Note that the value of the selection remains constant; if the cutbuffer is changed, you must again activate the copy button to retrieve the new value when desired. OPTIONS
Xcutsel accepts all of the standard X Toolkit command line options as well as the following: -selection name This option specifies the name of the selection to use. The default is PRIMARY. The only supported abbreviations for this option are ``-select'', ``-sel'' and ``-s'', as the standard toolkit option ``-selectionTimeout'' has a similar name. -cutbuffer number This option specifies the cut buffer to use. The default is cut buffer 0. X DEFAULTS
This program accepts all of the standard X Toolkit resource names and classes as well as: selection (class Selection) This resource specifies the name of the selection to use. The default is PRIMARY. cutBuffer (class CutBuffer) This resource specifies the number of the cut buffer to use. The default is 0. WIDGET NAMES
The following instance names may be used when user configuration of the labels in them is desired: sel-cut (class Command) This is the ``copy SELECTION to BUFFER'' button. cut-sel (class Command) This is the ``copy BUFFER to SELECTION'' button. quit (class Command) This is the ``quit'' button. SEE ALSO
X(7), xclipboard(1), xterm(1), text widget documentation, individual client documentation for how to make a selection. BUGS
There is no way to change the name of the selection or the number of the cut buffer while the program is running. AUTHOR
Ralph R. Swick, DEC/MIT Project Athena X Version 11 xclipboard 1.1.2 XCUTSEL(1)