Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Getting hostname using ssh
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting hostname using ssh Post 302535353 by radoulov on Thursday 30th of June 2011 12:34:15 PM
Old 06-30-2011
Try this:

Code:
ssh "$host" '/bin/gzip /tmp/"$(hostname)".html' >> "$PATH_TMP"/Linux_cfg2html.log

If you're using the old Bourne shell:

Code:
ssh "$host" '/bin/gzip /tmp/`hostname`.html' >> "$PATH_TMP"/Linux_cfg2html.log

This User Gave Thanks to radoulov For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hostname

Hello, I am installing redhat linux 6.2 on an intel based system. Whether i want to know any naming conventions should i follow. ie Any convention to follow to name a linux machine(To give hostname). Simillarly for domain name also. Please suggest in this regard (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

looking up hostname

Using Solaris 8 (or WINXP). I am trying to look up a specific DNS hostname, but I don't know which DNS server houses that entry. How can I find the hostname? nslookup gives me the following: C:\>nslookup hostname Server: dnsserver Address: x.x.x.x *** dnsserver can't find hostname:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change of Hostname

Dear All. I will like to know beside the following command "hostname hostname" what other command that can change the hostname of the Unix. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelbvonn
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Changed hostname to -a

I was trying to execute the following command ifConfig -a and after a while my hostname changed to -a I checked /etc/hosts and /etc/nodename all seems to be correct. 1. How my hostname changed to -a ? (What i could have done wrong) 2. if you type hostname where does solaris read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2sb
1 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname...

Hi All, So we added a new HP-UX 11.31 machine. Copied OS via Ignite-UX (DVD)over from this machine called machine_a. It was supposed to be named machine_c. And it is when you log in...however when I'm in the ILO console before logging in, it says: It should say: What gives? And how do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

$HOSTNAME empty while invoking script using SSH

Hi, I am unable to get $HOSTNAME value in a remote script when executed through SSH. Also the scripts hangs and doesnt return to the calling environment. For instance command - ssh user1@box2 "cd /var/home/bin ; ./generateScript.sh" Can any one plese throw light on the issue and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
5 Replies

8. AIX

Hostname for each lpar

Hi Gurus, Can a AIX server with 4 LPARs, each having it's own hostname on the same physical host. Is this possible? Thanks, S (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hostname -f hostname: Unknown host

deleted (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies

10. HP-UX

Get ip of client, not hostname

Hello i'm trying to get the ip of a telnet session. With who -u I get the hostname of the user connecting to my server, because it checks the reverse DNS. But I only want the ip. Versions: HP-UX HP Release B.11.31 Who command: Hewlett-Packard Company - 4 - HP-UX 11i Version... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boltpower
2 Replies
SSH-ARGV0(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					      SSH-ARGV0(1)

NAME
ssh-argv0 -- replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling SYNOPSIS
hostname | user@hostname [-l login_name] [command] hostname | user@hostname [-afgknqstvxACNTX1246] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec] [-e escape_char] [-i identity_file] [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-o option] [-p port] [-F configfile] [-L port:host:hostport] [-R port:host:hostport] [-D port] [command] DESCRIPTION
ssh-argv0 replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling. If you link to this script with a hostname then executing the link is equivalent to having executed ssh with that hostname as an argument. All other arguments are passed to ssh and will be processed normally. OPTIONS
See ssh(1). FILES
See ssh(1). AUTHORS
OpenSSH is a derivative of the original and free ssh 1.2.12 release by Tatu Ylonen. Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt and Dug Song removed many bugs, re-added newer features and created OpenSSH. Markus Friedl contributed the support for SSH protocol versions 1.5 and 2.0. Jonathan Amery wrote this ssh-argv0 script and the associated documentation. SEE ALSO
ssh(1) Debian Project September 7, 2001 Debian Project