Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers putting Linux on an old windows PC Post 302535100 by Skrynesaver on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 07:38:50 PM
Old 06-29-2011
Just download and burn a CD install image, stick it in the CD drive, edit the BIOS to ensure the machine boots from CD if present and restart the box.

After that, follow the instructions on screen.

For first time users I'd recommend Ubuntu but if you try it and don't like it head over to distrowatch and try a few others

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X-WINDOWS and LINUX

:confused: Hey, I can't seem to find out where to to get LINUX or X-WINDOWS. Any help would be much appreciated! Thnx! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kirkey
1 Replies

2. Linux

Linux and Windows?

Hello, In our computer lab we are windows networking.We have installed windows 2000 server on our IBM server and created a domain. All the computers are installed with windows 2000 porfessional and are a part of the domain. i have a installed Red Hat linux 9.0 on one system. I want this Linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX/LINUX vs. WINDOWS?

OKay, I'm a complete dummy when it comes to Unix/Linux. I was under that impression that it's just like Windows, but not windows? I'm sure I sound like a moron. First of all, I hate windows but I'm so very much a pc user. I'm not all that in love with Macs so, Mr.Gates seems like my only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spaceshiporion
2 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

what is the best way to use Linux on windows

Hello all i need to install linux flavor ubunto or sentOs not GUI is needed the only problem is that in my home computer im using win2k ( don't ask my wife don't want to hear about Linux ) so i guess i stuck with installing some kind of virtual pc and install on top of it the Linux what do you... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
11 Replies

5. Linux

What's better for running Windows software in Linux, Wine or Windows VMware?

What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

6. Linux

linux over windows

1) i want to switch myself from windows to linux OS. i have never used linux before. could u please guide me what distro i should install.. 2) secondly i have to buy a new laptop. recommend me any good solid laptop for linux OS. coz i have heard u have to have problems with drivers when it comes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: relocate
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vnc over an ssh tunnel Linux to Linux to Windows

I *think* what I want to do is not only possible but easy, but as a "dummy" :) I can't figure it out. Here's what I have: Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) laptop that is not in my house, but has an Internet connection. Linux (Ubuntu 9.04) computer in my house that has unfettered access to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: WesleyC
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows

Hi, totally new to linux base using windows when started learning and using computers. but i remember that one pc was there , look alike windows desktop, but could not do the task as windows just click and open and view edit etc. But, you could do a little differently even saving in and opening... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraju
8 Replies
BURN-CONFIGURE(1)						       Burn							 BURN-CONFIGURE(1)

NAME
burn-configure - create a configuration file for burn(1) SYNOPSIS
burn-configure DESCRIPTION
burn-configure is a configuration utility for burn(1). Burn ("Burn until recorded, now!") is a tool for writing optical media of various kinds. The burn(1) program looks for its configuration settings in the following files: /etc/burn.conf, ~/.burnrc. When invoked, burn-configure will ask a series of questions interactively at the console, and then write a new configuration to the file burn.conf.new in the current directory. This file can then be used for the contents of any of the burn(1) configuration files. SEE ALSO
o burn(1) AUTHOR
Ben Finney <ben+python@benfinney.id.au>, Gaetano Paolone <bigpaul@hacknight.org> COPYRIGHT
This is free software: you may copy, modify, and/or distribute this work under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later as published by the Free Software Foundation. No warranty expressed or implied. See the source for details. 2009-07-24 BURN-CONFIGURE(1)