Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regular expression -tab
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regular expression -tab Post 302534824 by itkamaraj on Tuesday 28th of June 2011 11:57:20 PM
Old 06-29-2011
Code:

nawk '{printf("%s\t%s",$1,$2); for(i=3;i<=NF;i++){printf(" %s",$i); if(i==NF)printf("\n"); }}' inputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expression

Hello, I have a string of the form " &x.y.z" I would like to grep all the lines when "in" can be found in either x or y. How to write the corresponding regular expression ? I have tried the following but it does not work: grep -i " *&.*(in)*.*.*(in)*.*" Any ideas ? Thank you Max (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxvirrozeito
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression

Hi all, My log file is like 19:40:22 INFO :Total time taken to Service External Request---15ms 19:40:22 INFO : External service failed with status KO 19:40:22 FATAL: External service failed with status KO 19:40:22 DEBUG : Batch started with 19:40:22 ERROR: Member: dmidecode.x86_64... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
1 Replies

4. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with regular expression

I currently list and sort all the files in a directory which begin with an Upper Case C and end with the extension '#finished#'. Here is the command I use: ls -tr $currentDir/*.#finished# what i need to do now is list all the files in a directory that begin with upper case C and end... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkgudde
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

7. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with regular expression

Hi All, Need some help with a regular expression that I cant seem to work on. Say there is the following text - Input We all (need some) help some day (ps: when it rains) and I need to save some hay now. During the rainy season (ps: when it might rain heavily) Seattle gets drenched but not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManoharMa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression

Hi I need to write a regular expression for a language. That language can have {a, b, c} as alphabet and it must contain minimum one "a" and minimum one "b". Can u help me to write it plz! thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies
expand(1)						      General Commands Manual							 expand(1)

NAME
expand, unexpand - Replaces tab characters with spaces or spaces with tab characters SYNOPSIS
Current syntax expand [-t tablist] [file...] unexpand [-a | -t tablist] [file...] Obsolescent syntax expand [-tabstop | -tab1,tab2,...,tabn] [file...] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: expand: XCU5.0 unexpand: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Replaces spaces at the beginning of each line with a tab, and inserts tab characters wherever their presence compresses the resultant file by replacing two or more characters. When the -t option is specified with the unexpand command, the -a option has no effect. (This option applies to the unexpand command only.) Specifies the tab stops. The tablist argument consists of a single positive decimal integer or multiple positive decimal integers, separated by spaces or commas, in ascending order. If a single number is specified, tabs are set tab- list column positions apart instead of the default (8). If multiple numbers are specified, tabs are set at those specific column posi- tions. Tabbing to tab stop position n thus causes the next character output to be in the (n+1)th column position on that line. If expand has to process a tab character at a position beyond the last of those specified in a multiple tab stop list, the tab char- acter is replaced by a single space in the output. Sets tab stops tabstop spaces apart instead of the default (8). (Obsolescent) Sets tab stops at specified columns. (Obsolescent) [Tru64 UNIX] Columns are measured in bytes. OPERANDS
The path name of a file to be processed. If you do not specify this operand, standard input is read. DESCRIPTION
The expand command changes tab characters to spaces in the named files, or the standard input, and writes the result to the standard out- put. The unexpand command puts tab characters into the data from the standard input, or the named files, and writes the result to the standard output. Backspace characters are preserved in the output and decrement the column count for tab calculations. The column position count cannot be decremented below one. The expand command is useful for preprocessing character files (before sorting, looking at specific columns, and so on.) that contain tab characters. By default, unexpand converts only spaces that are within sequences of spaces and tab characters at the beginnings of lines. Use -a to convert other sequences of spaces. NOTES
If the expand command encounters difficulties opening any specified file, it writes an error message to standard error and terminates imme- diately with an error status. If the unexpand command encounters difficulties opening any specified file, it writes an error message to standard error and continues operation. The exit status will reflect the error. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned by either command: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To replace tab characters in file with spaces, enter: expand file To replace the spaces in file with tab characters, enter: unexpand -a file ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of expand and unexpand: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the inter- nationalization variables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non- empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: fold(1), tabs(1) Standards: standards(5) expand(1)