Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regular expression -tab
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regular expression -tab Post 302534818 by Lucky Ali on Tuesday 28th of June 2011 11:20:49 PM
Old 06-29-2011
Regular expression -tab

I have a white-spaces delimited text file. I want to put a tab (\t) between the first and second column (or after the first white-space) and untouch the rest of the white-spaces. Would you let me know the best way to do it.

LA

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expression

Hello, I have a string of the form " &x.y.z" I would like to grep all the lines when "in" can be found in either x or y. How to write the corresponding regular expression ? I have tried the following but it does not work: grep -i " *&.*(in)*.*.*(in)*.*" Any ideas ? Thank you Max (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxvirrozeito
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression

Hi all, My log file is like 19:40:22 INFO :Total time taken to Service External Request---15ms 19:40:22 INFO : External service failed with status KO 19:40:22 FATAL: External service failed with status KO 19:40:22 DEBUG : Batch started with 19:40:22 ERROR: Member: dmidecode.x86_64... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
1 Replies

4. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with regular expression

I currently list and sort all the files in a directory which begin with an Upper Case C and end with the extension '#finished#'. Here is the command I use: ls -tr $currentDir/*.#finished# what i need to do now is list all the files in a directory that begin with upper case C and end... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkgudde
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

7. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with regular expression

Hi All, Need some help with a regular expression that I cant seem to work on. Say there is the following text - Input We all (need some) help some day (ps: when it rains) and I need to save some hay now. During the rainy season (ps: when it might rain heavily) Seattle gets drenched but not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManoharMa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression

Hi I need to write a regular expression for a language. That language can have {a, b, c} as alphabet and it must contain minimum one "a" and minimum one "b". Can u help me to write it plz! thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies
SDIFF(1)							   User Commands							  SDIFF(1)

NAME
sdiff - side-by-side merge of file differences SYNOPSIS
sdiff [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
Side-by-side merge of file differences. -o FILE --output=FILE Operate interactively, sending output to FILE. -i --ignore-case Consider upper- and lower-case to be the same. -E --ignore-tab-expansion Ignore changes due to tab expansion. -b --ignore-space-change Ignore changes in the amount of white space. -W --ignore-all-space Ignore all white space. -B --ignore-blank-lines Ignore changes whose lines are all blank. -I RE --ignore-matching-lines=RE Ignore changes whose lines all match RE. --strip-trailing-cr Strip trailing carriage return on input. -a --text Treat all files as text. -w NUM --width=NUM Output at most NUM (default 130) print columns. -l --left-column Output only the left column of common lines. -s --suppress-common-lines Do not output common lines. -t --expand-tabs Expand tabs to spaces in output. --tabsize=NUM Tab stops are every NUM (default 8) print columns. -d --minimal Try hard to find a smaller set of changes. -H --speed-large-files Assume large files and many scattered small changes. --diff-program=PROGRAM Use PROGRAM to compare files. -v --version Output version info. --help Output this help. If a FILE is `-', read standard input. Exit status is 0 if inputs are the same, 1 if different, 2 if trouble. AUTHOR
Written by Thomas Lord. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for sdiff is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and sdiff programs are properly installed at your site, the command info diff should give you access to the complete manual. diffutils 2.8.7 April 2004 SDIFF(1)