Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SAN/LVM question
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat SAN/LVM question Post 302534802 by msarro on Tuesday 28th of June 2011 08:53:18 PM
Old 06-28-2011
The server is going to be used to store log data for 60 days. Basically the goal is to keep logs from numerous servers in once place. The servers that use the largest amount of data will each have their own filesystem on their own volume groups.

The systems which produce a smaller volume of records will be on separate smaller volumes. The Servers are HP DL360 G7's, and the san is an HP P2000 G3, using fibre channel.

On the SAN we have a total of 12 disks (to start), split into two 6-disk RAID 5's. Adding additional disk shelves, we will continue doing the same thing. We're using 7200 RPM 2TB midline drives since this is just going to be used for data warehousing. We have these RAID 5's carved into single 1TB volumes. These will each get added to the storage server. We'll turn them into LVM physical volumes with PVcreate. Then, we'll create separate the 6 separate volume groups out of them.

Right now we're looking at having 6 separate filesystems running on 6 separate Volume Groups. The largest could be over 25-30TB. The smallest will probably be around 1-2 TB.

We've based this on load testing, but we don't have the ability to fully load test what the system is meant to handle outside of production so certain things (DB archive logs) we can't really get an idea about. Atm we're just scaling up the numbers we're seeing but that's fuzzy math.

---------- Post updated at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcox
However, apart from that you CAN do what you are saying you want to do. GPT is only of use when a drive actually has partitions on it... with LVM, you don't need any partitions and can add the whole drive itself as a PV (in case you didn't know that).
This is awesome advice actually. We were running into issues when testing putting a LVM partition on the lun. It wasn't showing up, and partprobe wasn't working. Only thing that worked was a reboot, and that won't be acceptable in production. Just tried using a whole lun instead of a partition and it worked like gangbusters.

Last edited by msarro; 06-28-2011 at 09:50 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Multiple Paths to SAN with LVM in Linux?

I'm setting up a CentOS 5 server that will be connected to an HP EVA4000. My previous experience is with an HP VA7400 and HP-UX. In HP-UX I can add "alternate paths" to a volume group in order to have redundant paths to the SAN via dual fiber channel HBAs just by either adding them with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

2. AIX

Question about IBM San Ds4500

I have a question about SAN commands I have almost 15Tb of disk on my san but assigned and something else I have almost 11Tb There is a command to know, what its my real total storage capacity and another command to know how much I used .? Thanks again in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
0 Replies

3. Linux

LVM snapshot question

Hi All, I am planning to do a LVM replicate to another server. Example : server1.foo.com has / , /boot , swap and few LVM partitions. All are in /dev/sda disk of size 80GB. /dev/sda5 is a LVM partition which has only one vg00 and it has 2 LV's (/var and /usr) and a SAN storage connected to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakrhn
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

LVM snapshot question

Hi All, I am planning to do a LVM replicate to another server. Example : server1.foo.com has / , /boot , swap and few LVM partitions. All are in /dev/sda disk of size 80GB. /dev/sda5 is a LVM partition which has only one vg00 and it has 2 LV's (/var and /usr) and a SAN storage connected to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakrhn
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

LVM question

Hi all; I have a quick question about LVM. 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 Distributor ID: RedHatEnterpriseServer Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga) Release: 5.3 Codename: Tikanga I was going through /etc/lvm.conf and I am not clear with lvm meta... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux LVM Question

I've three partitions on /dev/sda: sda1, sda2 sda3. There is FREE space between sda2 and sda3 and sda3 ends on the last sector. sda2 and sda3 have the same number of sectors allocated and so are the exact same size. /dev/sda2 is already part of the VG VolGroup. However, what puzzles me is that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
0 Replies

7. AIX

HACMP two-node cluster with two SAN storages mirrored using LVM

HACMP two-node cluster with mirrored LVM. HACMP two-node cluster with two SAN storages mirrored using LVM. Configured 2 disk heartbeat networks - 1 per each SAN storage. While performing redundancy tests. Once one of SAN storage is down - cluster is going to ERROR state. What are the guidelines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: OdilPVC
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about lvm file creation

Hi, I have below code for disk creation disk_list=$(ls /dev/sd) for disk in $disk_list do pvcreate $i done So what my understanding is first it is checking the disk under /dev sdb,sdc,sdd,...sdz whether 25 disk are existing if not then its creating the 25 physical volume. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

SAN Migration question

Hi, I am very new to HP-UX, and we're going to be doing a SAN migration. We're going to take down the machine, and zone it to the new SAN. My question is, will the device names change and will that interfere with the LVM? If the new disks come in with different device names, how would I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

10. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Some question about SAN on HP 4400 EVA

Good morning. For testing purpose i have buy a SAN DISK SHELF i need now a controller(hsv300) and a switch SAN Is my first SAN so i'm a little confused about cables. For testing we use an old rx2600 hp server the adapter is HP A6795AX A6795-62001 Some fast questions: i need an fc/fc cable... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
7 Replies
PVCHANGE(8)                                                   System Manager's Manual                                                  PVCHANGE(8)

NAME
pvchange - change attributes of a physical volume SYNOPSIS
pvchange [--addtag Tag] [-A|--autobackup y|n] [-d|--debug] [-f|--force] [--deltag Tag] [--metadataignore y|n] [-h|-?|--help] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] [-a|--all] [-x|--allocatable y|n] [-u|--uuid] [PhysicalVolumePath...] DESCRIPTION
pvchange allows you to change the allocation permissions of one or more physical volumes. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. -a, --all If PhysicalVolumePath is not specified on the command line all physical volumes are searched for and used. --metadataignore y|n Ignore or un-ignore metadata areas on this physical volume. If metadata areas on a physical volume are ignored, LVM will not not store metadata in the metadata areas present on this Physical Volume. -u, --uuid Generate new random UUID for specified physical volumes. -x, --allocatable y|n Enable or disable allocation of physical extents on this physical volume. Example "pvchange -x n /dev/sdk1" disallows the allocation of physical extents on this physical volume (possibly because of disk errors, or because it will be removed after freeing it. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), pvcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) PVCHANGE(8)