Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SAN/LVM question
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat SAN/LVM question Post 302534792 by mark54g on Tuesday 28th of June 2011 07:56:43 PM
Old 06-28-2011
Here's a few questions. Why would you want to leave it as a huge volume? You can increase the size of the XFS file system, but wouldn't it make more sense to add LVs to the VG?

Is there anything you hoped to achieve by concatenation? You are increasing your risk with concatenation, as parts of your data may go missing, especially with regards to RAID types in your SAN array.

What storage vendor are you using? Have you checked performance on XFS deletes with large files and small files? It is tunable, but XFS is slow on deletes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Multiple Paths to SAN with LVM in Linux?

I'm setting up a CentOS 5 server that will be connected to an HP EVA4000. My previous experience is with an HP VA7400 and HP-UX. In HP-UX I can add "alternate paths" to a volume group in order to have redundant paths to the SAN via dual fiber channel HBAs just by either adding them with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

2. AIX

Question about IBM San Ds4500

I have a question about SAN commands I have almost 15Tb of disk on my san but assigned and something else I have almost 11Tb There is a command to know, what its my real total storage capacity and another command to know how much I used .? Thanks again in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
0 Replies

3. Linux

LVM snapshot question

Hi All, I am planning to do a LVM replicate to another server. Example : server1.foo.com has / , /boot , swap and few LVM partitions. All are in /dev/sda disk of size 80GB. /dev/sda5 is a LVM partition which has only one vg00 and it has 2 LV's (/var and /usr) and a SAN storage connected to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakrhn
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

LVM snapshot question

Hi All, I am planning to do a LVM replicate to another server. Example : server1.foo.com has / , /boot , swap and few LVM partitions. All are in /dev/sda disk of size 80GB. /dev/sda5 is a LVM partition which has only one vg00 and it has 2 LV's (/var and /usr) and a SAN storage connected to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakrhn
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

LVM question

Hi all; I have a quick question about LVM. 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 Distributor ID: RedHatEnterpriseServer Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga) Release: 5.3 Codename: Tikanga I was going through /etc/lvm.conf and I am not clear with lvm meta... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux LVM Question

I've three partitions on /dev/sda: sda1, sda2 sda3. There is FREE space between sda2 and sda3 and sda3 ends on the last sector. sda2 and sda3 have the same number of sectors allocated and so are the exact same size. /dev/sda2 is already part of the VG VolGroup. However, what puzzles me is that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
0 Replies

7. AIX

HACMP two-node cluster with two SAN storages mirrored using LVM

HACMP two-node cluster with mirrored LVM. HACMP two-node cluster with two SAN storages mirrored using LVM. Configured 2 disk heartbeat networks - 1 per each SAN storage. While performing redundancy tests. Once one of SAN storage is down - cluster is going to ERROR state. What are the guidelines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: OdilPVC
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about lvm file creation

Hi, I have below code for disk creation disk_list=$(ls /dev/sd) for disk in $disk_list do pvcreate $i done So what my understanding is first it is checking the disk under /dev sdb,sdc,sdd,...sdz whether 25 disk are existing if not then its creating the 25 physical volume. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

SAN Migration question

Hi, I am very new to HP-UX, and we're going to be doing a SAN migration. We're going to take down the machine, and zone it to the new SAN. My question is, will the device names change and will that interfere with the LVM? If the new disks come in with different device names, how would I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

10. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Some question about SAN on HP 4400 EVA

Good morning. For testing purpose i have buy a SAN DISK SHELF i need now a controller(hsv300) and a switch SAN Is my first SAN so i'm a little confused about cables. For testing we use an old rx2600 hp server the adapter is HP A6795AX A6795-62001 Some fast questions: i need an fc/fc cable... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
7 Replies
xfs_freeze(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     xfs_freeze(8)

NAME
xfs_freeze - suspend access to an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_freeze -f | -u mount-point DESCRIPTION
xfs_freeze suspends and resumes access to an XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). xfs_freeze halts new access to the filesystem and creates a stable image on disk. xfs_freeze is intended to be used with volume managers and hardware RAID devices that support the creation of snapshots. The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be frozen (see mount(8)). The -f flag requests the specified XFS filesystem to be frozen from new modifications. When this is selected, all ongoing transactions in the filesystem are allowed to complete, new write system calls are halted, other calls which modify the filesystem are halted, and all dirty data, metadata, and log information are written to disk. Any process attempting to write to the frozen filesystem will block waiting for the filesystem to be unfrozen. Note that even after freezing, the on-disk filesystem can contain information on files that are still in the process of unlinking. These files will not be unlinked until the filesystem is unfrozen or a clean mount of the snapshot is complete. The -u flag is used to un-freeze the filesystem and allow operations to continue. Any filesystem modifications that were blocked by the freeze are unblocked and allowed to complete. One of -f or -u must be supplied to xfs_freeze. NOTES
A copy of a frozen XFS filesystem will usually have the same universally unique identifier (UUID) as the original, and thus may be pre- vented from being mounted. The XFS nouuid mount option can be used to circumvent this issue. In Linux kernel version 2.6.29, the interface which XFS uses to freeze and unfreeze was elevated to the VFS, so that this tool can now be used on many other Linux filesystems. SEE ALSO
xfs(5), lvm(8), mount(8). xfs_freeze(8)