Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Endangered Freedom ?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Endangered Freedom ? Post 302534673 by Neo on Tuesday 28th of June 2011 12:16:09 PM
Old 06-28-2011
Hi ctsgnb,

Don't worry; I don't think you did anything against the forum rules. From my perspective, I simply added my thoughts, which were grounded in system theory, and tend to reflect how I feel about things; and since I don't get a chance to emphasize the forum philosophy very often, I found the discussion a way to express this view; which is neither perfect nor expert.

From my perspective, I was not and am not interested in a Facebook, where the roots are with people compared "who is hot and who is not" and sharing photos; nor am I interested in twittering my every thought to the world or having a multitude of "followers"; my main interest was to create a technical Q&A platform where everyone can share their ideas, learn and grow, mostly regarding computing and in particular unix/linux, in a way that everyone can participate (novice to expert), with a high quality database of knowledge that has a fairly high (ok, very high) signal-to-noise ratio.

That does not mean folks cannot have other discussions in this area; and they should have; and I hope sharing my system views have not tossed to much of a wet blanket on the discussion you were hoping to have. That was not my intention.

Carry on!
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

The Journey of OpenJDK 6 into Fedora, EPEL, and freedom - podcast with Tom Fitzsimmon

The first morning of JavaOne was a great serendipitous event. How often does something fall into place like this: I saw Barton George, who looks after Sun’s relationships with Linux communities, and we decided to cook up a podcast about OpenJDK 6 in Fedora 9. As we walked to the recording room,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

Happy Document Freedom Day

Document Freedom Day (DFD) is a global grassroots effort* to promote and build awareness of the importance of free document formats in particular and open standards in general.* If you have ever received a document from a friend that your software could not open, then you know the frustration of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies
Perspective(3I) 					    InterViews Reference Manual 					   Perspective(3I)

NAME
Perspective - visible portion of an interactor SYNOPSIS
#include <InterViews/perspective.h> DESCRIPTION
A perspective object describes which part of an interactor's total display area is visible in the interactor's canvas. The main use of perspectives is for scrolling, panning, and zooming interactors. The member variables (x0, y0) define the origin of the interactor's dis- play area; width and height define the total height of the area. The member variables (curx, cury) define the lower-left corner of the interactor's canvas relative to the total area; curwidth and curheight define how much of the total area is displayed in the canvas. The member variables sx, sy, lx, and ly specify small and large increments in each dimension. These increments are used by a scroller to implement line and page scrolling. PUBLIC OPERATIONS
Perspective() Define a new perspective with all member variables initialized to zero. void Attach(Interactor*) Add to the list of interactors that are interested in updates to the perspective. These interactors reflect the perspective visual- ly; examples include scrollers and sliders. void Detach(Interactor*) Remove an interactor from the list of those interested in updates. This operation should be called from the interactor's destruc- tor. void Init(Coord x0, Coord y0, Coord width, Coord height) Initialize the perspective display area. void Update() Notify all the interactors interested in the perspective that it has changed. The perspective's interactor should call Update after modifying its perspective. SEE ALSO
Adjuster(3I), Interactor(3I), Panner(3I), Scroller(3I) InterViews 15 June 1987 Perspective(3I)