Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Endangered Freedom ?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Endangered Freedom ? Post 302534637 by Neo on Tuesday 28th of June 2011 10:35:48 AM
Old 06-28-2011
Yes, I understand... but every system has boundaries, and for these forums, we made the decision to keep the "signal-to-noise ratio" high by discouraging emotional arguments and "religious opinions".

Is this a "perfect system"? No, it is not; but it is the system here; and it seems to work quite well. We are not the biggest forum on the net, but we are certainly, with little doubt, one of the highest quality forums.

So, we intentionally created some system "boundaries" here, and those boundaries will make some comfortable and others uncomfortable. That is the nature of boundaries and systems.

... and on a personal basis, I loathe forums and discussion groups where emotions run high, logic is lost, and manipulation and gang and chic mentality runs rampant. I really don't like it when someone who cannot formulate a technical argument in a debate takes the low road and starts using ad hominems, false logic (fallacy), and personal attacks.

These forums were formed and are managed in this manner; and yes, it is not a perfect system, but it is the system here.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

The Journey of OpenJDK 6 into Fedora, EPEL, and freedom - podcast with Tom Fitzsimmon

The first morning of JavaOne was a great serendipitous event. How often does something fall into place like this: I saw Barton George, who looks after Sun’s relationships with Linux communities, and we decided to cook up a podcast about OpenJDK 6 in Fedora 9. As we walked to the recording room,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

Happy Document Freedom Day

Document Freedom Day (DFD) is a global grassroots effort* to promote and build awareness of the importance of free document formats in particular and open standards in general.* If you have ever received a document from a friend that your software could not open, then you know the frustration of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies
SNC(4)							 BSD/i386 Kernel Interfaces Manual						    SNC(4)

NAME
snc -- National Semiconductor DP8393X SONIC Ethernet adapter driver SYNOPSIS
device isa device snc DESCRIPTION
The snc driver provides support for the National Semiconductor SONIC Ethernet adapters. HARDWARE
The snc driver supports the following cards: o National Semiconductor DP83934AVQB o NEC PC-9801-83 o NEC PC-9801-84 o NEC PC-9801-103 o NEC PC-9801-104 o NEC PC-9801N-15 o NEC PC-9801N-25 o NEC PC-9801N-J02 PCMCIA o NEC PC-9801N-J02R PCMCIA The snc driver also includes support for the National Semiconductor NS46C46 as 64 * 16 bits Microwave Serial EEPROM. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
Accessing SONIC card data structures and registers as 32 bit values makes code endianness independent. The SONIC is however always in big- endian mode so it is necessary to ensure that data structures shared between the CPU and the SONIC card are always in big-endian order. The snc driver supports the PC-98 C-Bus, and PnP buses. Support is also provided for the legacy C-Bus. DIAGNOSTICS
The following driver specific error messages may be reported: snc%d: snc_nec16_register_irq: unsupported irq (%d) The card returned an IRQ which is not supported by the driver. snc%d: invalid packet length %d bytes An attempt to transfer a data packet failed due to an invalid packet length. SEE ALSO
netintro(4), bus_alloc_resource_any(9) HISTORY
The snc driver was ported from NetBSD by Motomichi Matsuzaki <mzaki@e-mail.ne.jp> and Hiroshi Yamashita <bluemoon@msj.biglobe.ne.jp>. It first appeared in FreeBSD 4.2. This manual page first appeared in FreeBSD 5.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Currently the snc driver only works on the PC-98 architecture. It should probably work on the i386 architecture as well. BSD
September 4, 2004 BSD