Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Endangered Freedom ?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Endangered Freedom ? Post 302534631 by ctsgnb on Tuesday 28th of June 2011 10:21:34 AM
Old 06-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I think it is good to discuss these topics in our forums, as long as we discuss them through the lens of a technologist or scientist, and not via irrational thoughts based on fear and other emotions that lead to irrational thinking and human conflict.
Don't be mistaken : i am not willing to bring human conflict here Smilie

I agree about the fact that emotions should be avoided or minimized as much as possible when they bring fears or when they bring to an alteration of the quality of the judgement (by making bad (egoist, personnal, ...) reasons coming into account) when a decision need to be made.

But we are not robot, we are human our thought have a part of irrationnal regardless whether people accept it or not. Then it becomes a matter of logic, argumentation, and fact. Then it is up to the audience to judge the quality of the argumentation.

Example : It is not because someone tells some statistics about unemployment (statistics that have scientifically calulated with scientific formula) that we have to take it as irreversible truth. How has this number be calculated ? which part of the population has been included or not in this calculation ? does it reflect the reality ?..... and so on.

So i agree that we should be able to have a logic in our thought and argue why we think this or that, but i emit some reserve about the all-tech-science-rational-only thought.

Not tolerating the inner unavoidable irrationnal part of our thought is - in my opinion - at least an utopy, and - in some worse case - can become a form of lack of tolerance (this would mean that we would not listen to people who don't have a scientific approach or opinion, this is sectarisme, fascism ).

Of couse it is just my opinion, nothing personal Smilie

Last edited by ctsgnb; 06-28-2011 at 11:41 AM..

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

The Journey of OpenJDK 6 into Fedora, EPEL, and freedom - podcast with Tom Fitzsimmon

The first morning of JavaOne was a great serendipitous event. How often does something fall into place like this: I saw Barton George, who looks after Sun’s relationships with Linux communities, and we decided to cook up a podcast about OpenJDK 6 in Fedora 9. As we walked to the recording room,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

Happy Document Freedom Day

Document Freedom Day (DFD) is a global grassroots effort* to promote and build awareness of the importance of free document formats in particular and open standards in general.* If you have ever received a document from a friend that your software could not open, then you know the frustration of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies
libxml(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 libxml(3)

NAME
libxml - library used to parse XML files DESCRIPTION
The libxml library is used to parse XML files. Its internal document repesentation is as close as possible to the DOM (Document Object Model) interface, an API for accessing XML or HTML structured documents. The libxml library also has a SAX-like interface, which is designed to be compatible with expat(1). NOTE: SAX, the Simple API for XML, is a standard interface for event-based XML parsing, developed collaboratively by the members of the XML-DEV mailing list, currently hosted by OASIS. The expat library is a XML 1.0 parser written in C, which aims to be fully conforming. It is currently not a validating XML pro- cessor. The libxml library now includes a nearly complete XPath implementation. The XPath (XML Path Language) is a language for addressing parts of an XML document, designed to be used by both XSLT and XPointer. The libxml library exports Push and Pull type parser interfaces for both XML and html. FILES
/depot/lib/libxml_2.0.0/libxml.a static library /depot/lib/libxml_2.0.0/libxml.so shared library /depot/package/libxml_2.0.0/bin/xmllint binary application for parsing XML files AUTHORS
Daniel Veillard (daniel@veillard.com). Red Hat Inc. Manual page by Ziying Sherwin (sherwin@nlm.nih.gov), Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications, U.S. National Library of Medicine. SEE ALSO
xmllint(1), libxslt(3), libexslt(3), xsltproc(1) 12 April 2000 libxml(3)