Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting In bash script, how to assign output of a command to a variable while keeping tabs? Post 302534342 by birddie on Monday 27th of June 2011 03:11:50 PM
Old 06-27-2011
Gosh..I knew it's gonna be easy, but didn't think this easy Smilie Thank you, and dumb me...Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to assign an output to a variable

Hi, I am giving a grep command, and i am getting the output. i want to store it in a variable for eg a = grep '12345' /dir/1/2/log.txt ( the output is number) b= grep 'basic' /dir/1/2/log1.txt (in this case the output is character) so how to assign the output of grep to a variable ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to assign sql output data to shell script variable

Hi Guys ! I am new to unix and want to find out how we can make sql statement data to shell script variable? Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated -Chandra (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kattics
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign bash command to variable

Hi I am trying to write a function that needs to be able to assign the last run shell command to a variable. The actual command string itself not the exit code of the command. I am using the bash command recall ability to do this as follows: alias pb='ps | grep ash' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign the result of a SQL command to more than one variable in shell script.

Hi Friends... Please assist me to assign the result of a SQL query that results two column, to two variables. Pls find the below code that I write for assigning one column to one variable. and please correct if anything wrong.. #! /bin/sh no=' sqlplus -s uname/password@DBname... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to assign the output of the interective script to the variable

Hi, I work in ksh88. I have an interective script which prompts the user for the input and returns numeric value depending on the input provided. I need to call this script inside another script and then assign the resulting output the the variable. The call like that A=`my script` obviously... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign command (with pipe) output to a variable

Hi , I would like to assign command (with pipe) output to a variable. The code is as follows. The goal of the code is to get the last folder folder with a particular name pattern. myDate=`ls | grep 2009 | tail -1` echo "myDate=" $myDate However, in the presence of the pipe, the code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeff_cen
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk output to bash variable

greetings all, I am have a heck of a time trying to accomplish a very simple thing. I have an array of "shortname<spaces>id" created from a dscl output. I want to assign shortname=word1 and id=word2. I have tried shortname=$(${textArray} | awk '{print $1}') - and get 'awk : cannot open... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macnetdaemon
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to assign command output to variable

Code set -x STATUS="0" echo $STATUS for i in `ls -ltr Report*|awk '{ print $9 }'` do if then flg = "`head -1 "$i" |cut -c 31-33`" echo `head -1 "$i" |cut -c 31-33` echo $flg if then echo "having Fun" STATUS="2" else echo "no Fun" fi fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funkeydude
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I assign the output of a command to a variable within a loop in bash?

In the else of the main if condition . else set lnk = $(readlink -f <path> | cut -d '/' -f7) echo "$lnk" if ] When I run the above on command line , the execution seems to be fine and I get the desired output. But when I try to assign it to a variable within a loop... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
12 Replies
libcurl(3)						      libcurl easy interface							libcurl(3)

NAME
libcurl-easy - easy interface overview DESCRIPTION
When using libcurl's "easy" interface you init your session and get a handle (often referred to as an "easy handle"), which you use as input to the easy interface functions you use. Use curl_easy_init(3) to get the handle. You continue by setting all the options you want in the upcoming transfer, the most important among them is the URL itself (you can't transfer anything without a specified URL as you may have figured out yourself). You might want to set some callbacks as well that will be called from the library when data is available etc. curl_easy_setopt(3) is used for all this. When all is setup, you tell libcurl to perform the transfer using curl_easy_perform(3). It will then do the entire operation and won't return until it is done (successfully or not). After the transfer has been made, you can set new options and make another transfer, or if you're done, cleanup the session by calling curl_easy_cleanup(3). If you want persistent connections, you don't cleanup immediately, but instead run ahead and perform other transfers using the same easy handle. libcurl 7.10.7 12 Aug 2003 libcurl(3)