Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Error running FORTRAN code
Top Forums Programming Error running FORTRAN code Post 302534201 by sandhyakg on Monday 27th of June 2011 07:00:45 AM
Old 06-27-2011
Error running FORTRAN code

Hi,
I am new to this forum and do not know whether this is the appropriate place to post this question. Anyway am trying my luck.

I have a fortran program swanhcat.ftn, which is part of a wave modelling system. There is also a file hcat.nml which is required to run this program. The program's job is to combine many files (say 250) into a single file. It is of course not concatenation. The program was compiled and run. It worked fine when the number of input files to the program was a certain number (say 180) and failed when there were more number of input files. I should say that the input files are big. I give below details of one such file.
-rw-r--r-- 1 osf staff 15208731 Jun 27 12:40 restart_20090101.00-132

Actually the files are like restart_20090101.00-001, restart_20090101.00-002..... restart_20090101.00-180 and are the outputs of a numerical model run using 180 processors. Each processor does some part of the model run and thus the final information is contained in the 180 files together. I am trying to combine the information into a single file using the swanhcat.ftn program. It was a success when I tried with 180 processors (there were 180 input files).
When I tried with 181 input files(or higher), the program failed saying
'segmentation fault(core dumped)'. Does it have to do something with the memory used by the program?

How do I find out what is wrong?

Best regards,
s.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Error while running the C code

Hi Sir, I am running C program which include directfb.h header files. root@lxdevenv:~/Desktop# vi n.c root@lxdevenv:~/Desktop# gcc n.c -o n -I/usr/local/include/directfb -L/usr/local/lib -ldirectfb -lfusion -ldirect -lpthread -lm n.c: In function ‘main':... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravikishore
2 Replies

2. Programming

Making FORTRAN code more efficient

Hi, I have a very large, very old FORTRAN code that I work with. The code is quite messy and I was wondering if I can speed up execution time by finding subroutines that code execution spends the most time in. Is there any kind of software I can use to see where the code spends most of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rks171
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Getting error code when running the script 2 (RC)2

hi All, we have a script to remove the files from particular path,when we tryingto run manually the script went to success and removed the files but the same script which is running by other team it got failed and giving the error "2 (RC)2 "..what is the cause of the failure..and we passing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagavenkatesh
2 Replies

4. Programming

Help with make this Fortran code more efficient (in HPC manner)

Hi there, I had run into some fortran code to modify. Obviously, it was written without thinking of high performance computing and not parallelized... Now I would like to make the code "on track" and parallel. After a whole afternoon thinking, I still cannot find where to start. Can any one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: P_E_M_Lee
3 Replies

5. Programming

Using Doxygen on Fortran code

I am using doxygen for documenting my fortran code. I want to write some notes after the header in different parts of the subroutine. Any idea what the tags should be as anything I write after the header is not displayed ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

6. Programming

Removing goto statements in FORTRAN code

I have the code below and I want to remove the "go to" statements. Any idea how I can do it? if (iorder == 0) then tmincurrent = 1.0e11 if(ireverse == 0 .or. istop /= 1) then do i = 1, 6 if ((side(i) /= sidelimit(i)) .and. (tminside(i) < tmincurrent)) then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

7. Programming

Strange characters in FORTRAN code output

Hi guys, After compiling a .f90 code and executing it, i get strange characters in the output file like : ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ Are these windows characters? how can i get rid of this? Much appreciated. Paul (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

FORTRAN error *** glibc detected ***

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm doing aproximation of derivative called five-point stencil. For every value of x, in interval , in step... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: antonija
0 Replies

9. Programming

Error in my FORTRAN program

I have a Fortran program and I am writing out to logical unit 7. The program is reading from a text file and writing to the new file formatted. It gets through the read and writes some to the file but then stops with the following error: 1525-013 The sequential WRITE statement cannot be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KathyB148
5 Replies
HF77(1) 							     LAM TOOLS								   HF77(1)

NAME
hf77, mpif77 - Compile LAM FORTRAN programs. SYNTAX
hf77 [-showme] ... see f77(1) (or whatever your underlying FORTRAN compiler is) for all other options. DESCRIPTION
hf77 is a convenience wrapper for the local native FORTRAN compiler. Translation of a LAM program requires the linkage of the LAM essen- tial services libraries which may not reside in one of the standard search directories of ld(1). hf77 passes its arguments along to the local native FORTRAN compiler along with the -L and -l options required by LAM/MPI programs. This includes all necessary options for ROMIO and/or C++ bindings support (if ROMIO/C++ support was included when LAM was compiled). mpif77 is now the same as hf77. See the NOTES section, below. By default, hf77 uses the FORTRAN compiler that was selected when LAM was configured (with the --with-fc flag to ./configure) as the local native FORTRAN compiler, but this can be overridden by the LAMHF77 environment variable. OPTIONS
-showme Does not invoke the underlying FORTRAN compiler. Instead, it shows the command line that would be executed to compile the FORTRAN program. NOTES
Previous versions of hf77 did not automatically link in the MPI library. Starting with LAM version 6.3, since hf77 has become the de facto LAM FORTRAN compiler, the -lmpi option is now automatically passed to the underlying compiler when linking LAM/MPI programs. Previous versions of LAM included the mpif77 wrapper script to automatically pass -lmpi to hf77. This script is now obsolete since hf77 now includes -lmpi automatically. mpif77 is now a symbolic link to hf77 to ensure backward compatibility. SEE ALSO
f77(1), ld(1), lam-helpfile(1) LAM 6.5.8 November, 2002 HF77(1)