Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: if/elif help
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions if/elif help Post 302534161 by aggie6970 on Monday 27th of June 2011 05:42:21 AM
Old 06-27-2011
if/elif help

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
This is my problem for the class.

Write a script that asks for the user's age. If it is equal to or higher than 16, print a message saying that
this user is allowed to drink alcohol. If the user's age is below 16, print a message telling the user how
many years he or she has to wait before legally being allowed to drink.
As an extra, calculate how much beer an 18+ user has drunk statistically (100 liters/year) and print
this information for the user.

I can make it do the if older than 16 then you can drink
Also If you are 15 or younger than you have to wait X years until you can drink

My problem id with the calculation of how many liters you have drank since 18+.

2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:
if/elif commands

3. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):
Code:
#!/bin/bash

year=100

echo "Hello, "$USER".  This script will see if your old enough for a beer."

echo -n "Enter your age and press [ENTER]: "
read age

if  [ $age -gt 15 ]; then
  echo "You are ready for a beer!" 
  myvar2=$(expr $age + $year ) < --This is the problem
  echo "You have drank $year liters/year since you were 18 year old."
  exit 1
elif [ $age -lt 16 ]; then
  myvar=$(expr 16 - $age)
  echo "You still have to wait $myvar more years to drink sorry."
  exit 1

fi

4. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):
Oklahoma State Institute of Technology
Okmulgee, Oklahoma
USA
Professor Fil Guinn
ITD 2313-SCRIPT PROGRAMMING-SEC LECNT1

Note: Without school/professor/course information, you will be banned if you post here! You must complete the entire template (not just parts of it).

Last edited by pludi; 06-27-2011 at 07:10 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

If..elif..else...fi

Hi all, I got some problems on executing the following scripts. Scripts: if ]; then echo "M${str}O 0 1" >> ${tempFile} elif ]; then echo "M${str}O 1 0" >> ${tempFile} else echo "M${str}O 0 0" >> ${tempFile} fi Error: "`;' is not expected." what's the problem? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rock
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with ELIF statement

I am receiving an elif error on line 13 and I can not figure out the reasoning behind it. I have added the then statement that I was initially missing. Any help would be great. #The purpose of this script is for the end user to be able to enter a positive number #User enters a number NUM=$1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brewer27
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query on If-Elif!!

Script Gurus, Need your help in getting this script to come out of logical error : I have pasted the script below: This script finds disk utilzation ... the script is written for both AIX and SUN OS... and option will be given in the initial to select DB or Non DB... its required for my prj...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vangalli
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

If -elif-else error.

I am getting below error from this code (which is at line 24): if ] #this is line24 in code then mv $File_source_path/$File_name $File_name'_'`date '+%d%m%y'` Error: line 24: Any help with the syntax. I am putting 2 condition with 'AND' clause. This is bash shell. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.mathur08
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If, elif, else statements help

I am in need of some help. I am not an advance scripter or programmer, I have novice knowledge. I cannot get a script to work as expected. The script basically does an FTP (which I have work perfectly) and writes to a log. However, I want the script to echo "Not Connected" if the FTP fails to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

elif if not expected

Hi All, I write an script will have some functions... I am getting elif not expected error.. Even tried by using set -x for debug but no use.. Could you please help me out in this Variables .... .... .... TEST_SRC() { cat ${filesrc} >> ${filetgt} if ]; then echo... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

While-read and if-elif

Hi there, new to this forum and I recently encounter this problem: I tried to use if-elif loop in a while-read loop, something like this: #!/bin/bash while read myline1 myline2 do if ; then echo "Successful!" elif ; then echo "Failed" fi done < $1 Input file looks like this: 200... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kennethtls
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

if else elif

Hi all,i have configured the following script to check if the file exists or not, #!/bin/sh sleep 30 { FILEFULL=$1`date +$2`* if ; then echo $FILEFULL exist else echo "$FILEFULL File not Found" | mail -s 'server' myaccount@mydomain.com fi } but i have a problem, i need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If / elif

Hello all, I have a scenario where I take user input values and accordingly take actions say I run a script with sh scriptname -x GB -e txt (txt can also be text) I have used if clause for the first input (-x GB)and it is working fine Now for second the scenario is if then echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with elif and else

Hello experts, I am having problems with ELIF. Please see the below code : read a; read b; read c; if || || ; then echo "EQUILATERAL" elif || || ; then echo "SCALENE" else echo "ISOSCELES" fi This code works fine for the EQUILATERAL case but fails completely for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: H squared
5 Replies
EASTER_DATE(3)								 1							    EASTER_DATE(3)

easter_date - Get Unix timestamp for midnight on Easter of a given year

SYNOPSIS
int easter_date ([int $year = date("Y")]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the Unix timestamp corresponding to midnight on Easter of the given year. Warning This function will generate a warning if the year is outside of the range for Unix timestamps (i.e. before 1970 or after 2037). The date of Easter Day was defined by the Council of Nicaea in AD325 as the Sunday after the first full moon which falls on or after the Spring Equinox. The Equinox is assumed to always fall on 21st March, so the calculation reduces to determining the date of the full moon and the date of the following Sunday. The algorithm used here was introduced around the year 532 by Dionysius Exiguus. Under the Julian Calendar (for years before 1753) a simple 19-year cycle is used to track the phases of the Moon. Under the Gregorian Calendar (for years after 1753 - devised by Clavius and Lilius, and introduced by Pope Gregory XIII in October 1582, and into Britain and its then colonies in September 1752) two correction factors are added to make the cycle more accurate. PARAMETERS
o $year - The year as a number between 1970 an 2037. If omitted, defaults to the current year according to the local time. RETURN VALUES
The easter date as a unix timestamp. EXAMPLES
Example #1 easter_date(3) example <?php echo date("M-d-Y", easter_date(1999)); // Apr-04-1999 echo date("M-d-Y", easter_date(2000)); // Apr-23-2000 echo date("M-d-Y", easter_date(2001)); // Apr-15-2001 ?> NOTES
Note easter_date(3) relies on your system's C library time functions, rather than using PHP's internal date and time functions. As a con- sequence, easter_date(3) uses the TZ environment variable to determine the time zone it should operate in, rather than using PHP's default time zone, which may result in unexpected behaviour when using this function in conjunction with other date functions in PHP. As a workaround, you can use the easter_days(3) with DateTime and DateInterval to calculate the start of Easter in your PHP time zone as follows: <?php function get_easter_datetime($year) { $base = new DateTime("$year-03-21"); $days = easter_days($year); return $base->add(new DateInterval("P{$days}D")); } foreach (range(2012, 2015) as $year) { printf("Easter in %d is on %s ", $year, get_easter_datetime($year)->format('F j')); } ?> The above example will output: Easter in 2012 is on April 8 Easter in 2013 is on March 31 Easter in 2014 is on April 20 Easter in 2015 is on April 5 SEE ALSO
easter_days(3) for calculating Easter before 1970 or after 2037 . PHP Documentation Group EASTER_DATE(3)