Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed basic doubt
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed basic doubt Post 302533998 by yazu on Sunday 26th of June 2011 10:07:08 AM
Old 06-26-2011
In every line which begins with "AIRTEL,POSTPAID" this code substitutes the first substring which matches the next pattern: "comma" "number or another number" "comma" by one "comma":

Code:
sed -r '/^AIRTEL,POSTPAID/ s/,(98850|24874),/,/'

GNU sed, extended regular expressions.
This User Gave Thanks to yazu For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt it sed

Hello.. i want to use variable in sed.. like sed 's/ROOTMAILID/$variable/g' conf.test but its not working.. please help thanks in advance esham (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doubt in sed

hi all, i have a variable exported as VAR=ATTRIB then tried with, echo "tt" | sed 's/^/$VAR/' expected result as ttATTRIB but obtained only, $VARtt i could nt get where i am wrong. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Certainly basic doubt about IF

On the below "IF" i test if the user have put the first argument. I also would like to test if the user have written a second argument. So, my doubt is: - How can i evaluate 2 conditions on a if statement? How is the OR created? - How can i to verify if the second argument is non... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmxps
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting basic doubt

Hi, I have a script called sam.sh which consists of a single echo statement like this #/usr/bin/ksh echo "Mani" I changed the mode for the script by giving chmod a+x sam.sh. If I want to execute the scrpt by just giving the name at the command line "sam.sh", what should I necessarily do?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

got a basic doubt on cat-file permissions

Hi all, Today I was just fooling around with directories and faced this. I create a directory 'testdir' and create a file 'myfile' inside it. gandalf@gondor:~$ mkdir testdir gandalf@gondor:~$ cd testdir gandalf@gondor:~/testdir$ touch myfile Then I set the following permissions for the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic SED doubt

Hi Friends!! I want to add a / at the end of a number. for example i have CQ65758 /, in this case i want to shift that backspace one space to the left so the my result becomes CQ65758/. How can i do that with sed. Thanks Adi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script basic doubt

hi, I am new script learner, so my basic doubt is , how to store value of any command in a variable example $ ls | wc -l i want to stote the output of this in a variable c. so that i can use c in if else loop. and when do we use " ` " symbol in script.. can anyone also tell for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hi2_t
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed doubt...

Hi, i need find and replace a sting with a new variable having value as spaces in between. Eg: set a = "i am variable" set b = "i am second" sed -e 's/find_string/'$a'/g' -e 's/find2_str/'$b'/g' input_file here it is giving error... How to get an varaible, which is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt in sed

Hi All Can some one explain what does the given two sed commands do :confused: sed "s/\'/\\\'/g" | sed 's/\"/\\\"/g' Please find the sample code i used to find out what this is doing , but it has confused me more :wall: $ cat sri1.txt \ ' " $ sed 's/\"/\\\"/g' sri1.txt \ '... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic doubt in UNIX

Hi, I'm new to this and very much interested to learn unix. Can any one explain me the symbols y we use this is scripting(~ and $). It would be great if some one explain with the eg. Thanks Naveen A (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranaveen
2 Replies
REGEXP(6)							   Games Manual 							 REGEXP(6)

NAME
regexp - regular expression notation DESCRIPTION
A regular expression specifies a set of strings of characters. A member of this set of strings is said to be matched by the regular expression. In many applications a delimiter character, commonly bounds a regular expression. In the following specification for regular expressions the word `character' means any character (rune) but newline. The syntax for a regular expression e0 is e3: literal | charclass | '.' | '^' | '$' | '(' e0 ')' e2: e3 | e2 REP REP: '*' | '+' | '?' e1: e2 | e1 e2 e0: e1 | e0 '|' e1 A literal is any non-metacharacter, or a metacharacter (one of .*+?[]()|^$), or the delimiter preceded by A charclass is a nonempty string s bracketed [s] (or [^s]); it matches any character in (or not in) s. A negated character class never matches newline. A substring a-b, with a and b in ascending order, stands for the inclusive range of characters between a and b. In s, the metacharacters an initial and the regular expression delimiter must be preceded by a other metacharacters have no special meaning and may appear unescaped. A matches any character. A matches the beginning of a line; matches the end of the line. The REP operators match zero or more (*), one or more (+), zero or one (?), instances respectively of the preceding regular expression e2. A concatenated regular expression, e1e2, matches a match to e1 followed by a match to e2. An alternative regular expression, e0|e1, matches either a match to e0 or a match to e1. A match to any part of a regular expression extends as far as possible without preventing a match to the remainder of the regular expres- sion. SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), sam(1), sed(1), regexp(2) REGEXP(6)