Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to eliminate files .rlogin Post 302533781 by Corona688 on Friday 24th of June 2011 03:25:13 PM
Old 06-24-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGPickett
What about if root owns it and it is 444 and inside says "# Do not use .rhosts -- SysAdmin" Can the user rename it or change the permissions?
They can do better than that, they can delete the thing, since that's controlled by directory permissions, not file permissions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rlogin from Shell script

I am logged into an AIX Unix box. From there I want to remotely login to remotely login to an HP-UX Unix box and want to execute a command that will create a file. I want to get the file to the AIX box. Can someon eplease advise how to automate that in a shell script? At the first step I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Eliminate first line of multiple files

hi gurus ,, I have multiple files with same file pattern..in a particular directory for ex: file20061101.trf file20061102.trf file20061103.trf Each of the file has a header as column names.. My questions is how can i eliminate the first row of each of these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sish78
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eliminate variable checking in a script

RH Linux, $SHELL=/bin/ksh I have a .profile which I source in as such --> . .profile Whats happening is the variables are getting validated and generating errors. for example .profile export foo=/to/the/moon when I . .profile , I get : not foundmyusername/.profile or bad... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: BMetelsky
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rlogin inside a c-shell script

Hi Forumers, Sorry if it's really simple, but I couldn't find a way out. :( I've to do something like this in a script (csh): <some commands, variable settings, scripts> rlogin different_server <some commands, variable settings, scripts> After "rlogin", it shows the prompt of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitgarg
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for nested rlogin and telnet

I want to write a script that rlogins to a couple machines and then from the last machine, telnet into a final machine and execute a command. So in pseudocode it would look like: rlogin host1 from host1 rlogin host2 from host2 telnet host3 from host 3 execute command The reason for the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcburke38
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script help to eliminate files of todays date

Hi I am very new to shell scripting and have written a script (below). However the directory I am searching will contain a file with a .trn extension each day which I want to eliminate. Each day the file extension overnight will change to trx, if this fails I want to know. Basically what I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: richM
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to eliminate left and right fields and to get the ouput.

Hi Experts, I have a file as given below and want to filter out the filenames in it , by deleting left and right filds and to have the fllenames (There are spaces in the filename), Sun Jan 11 11:20:10 2009 1 0 /home/output/file2311_recent.list user1 user2 0 done Sun Jan 11 11:20:10 2009 1 0... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rlogin and script

I am writing a script to do rlogin to another system and execute commands on the remote system, i can successfully login to the remote system but the commands are not sent. i can only use rlogin to get to the remote system. what can i do? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to eliminate ^L

Hi, I am trying to create a text file from data retrieved from a query.The data retrieved is having this character '^L' at regular intervals of the data. How can i eliminate this, Please find below the sample data. I tried sed -e "s/\^L//g" to convert it, but with no luck ^LCODE*SERIAL... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkiran77
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to eliminate the records

Hi All, Please help me how to remove the records from the file if it is having more number of fields than the required one, before loading into stage Here is the sample records. File is space delimited one chandu 1121324 CC ( 2 spaces) chandu balu 434657 DD (3 spaces) -- failing due to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbc17484
10 Replies
logindevperm(4) 						   File Formats 						   logindevperm(4)

NAME
logindevperm, fbtab - login-based device permissions SYNOPSIS
/etc/logindevperm DESCRIPTION
The /etc/logindevperm file contains information that is used by login(1) and ttymon(1M) to change the owner, group, and permissions of devices upon logging into or out of a console device. By default, this file contains lines for the keyboard, mouse, audio, and frame buffer devices. The owner of the devices listed in /etc/logindevperm is set to the owner of the console by login(1). The group of the devices is set to the owner's group specified in /etc/passwd. The permissions are set as specified in /etc/logindevperm. Fields are separated by TAB and/or SPACE characters. Blank lines and comments can appear anywhere in the file; comments start with a hash- mark, ` # ', and continue to the end of the line. The first field specifies the name of a console device (for example, /dev/console). The second field specifies the permissions to which the devices in the device_list field (third field) will be set. These permissions must be expressed in octal format. For example, O774. A device_list is a colon-separated list of device names. Note that a device name must be a /dev link. A device entry that is a directory name and ends with "/*" specifies all entries in the directory (except "." and ".."). For example, "/dev/fbs/*" specifies all frame buffer devices. Once the devices are owned by the user, their permissions and ownership can be changed using chmod(1) and chown(1), as with any other user- owned file. Upon logout the owner and group of these devices will be reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd (typically other). The permissions are set as specified in the /etc/logindevperm file. FILES
/etc/passwd File that contains user group information. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chown(1), login(1), ttymon(1M), passwd(4) NOTES
/etc/logindevperm provides a superset of the functionality provided by /etc/fbtab in SunOS 4.x releases. SunOS 5.10 22 Oct 2003 logindevperm(4)