Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding the Latest file in a Dir Post 302533707 by methyl on Friday 24th of June 2011 11:54:18 AM
Old 06-24-2011
The filenames come out in date order in a normal "ls".
Code:
ls -1d Filename_bo_* 2>/dev/null | tail -1

The "2>/dev/null" redirects the error channel if there are no files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding latest file in Unix

Hi, i want to search a file in the dir , if file exists for todays date print the message that file found or if file does not exist for todays date/ if file not found i want to display message saying that file not found. How to do this. Thx for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick12
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding latest file having timestamp on it.....

Hi guys, I have a directory in UNIX having files with the below format, i need to pickup the latest file having recent timestamp embedded on it, then need to rename it to a standard file name. Below is the file format: filename_yyyymmdd.csv, i need to pick the latest and move it with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaushik25
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through files in dir, omit file with latest date

I want to loop through files in a directory but omit the file with the latest date in my list of files. How would I accomplish this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stringzz
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

To find the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine and SCP to local machine?

Hi All, URGENT - Please help me form a scipt for this: I need the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine to be SCP'd to a dir on local machine. (and I need to execute this from local server) I know that the below cmd is used to find the LATEST file from a dir. But this command is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_ub
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding latest dir based on it's name (yyyymmdd)

Hi Folks, As part of my application I need to find out what the latest directory based on the name of that directory (not it's file system timestamp). Example: I have a directory which contains below directories (each of while contains files etc) 20120000/ 20120000/ latest (symbolic link to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DOWD_R
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Finding the latest file in a directory

Hi All, I am using the below command to find the latest file in a dir: ls -tr $v_sftphomedir/$v_sourcefile |tail -1 or ls -t1 $v_sftphomedir/$v_sourcefile |head -1 and the outpur returned is below: /home/cobr_sftp/var/controllingload/Backup/Dbrwds_Div_1796050246.txt I need only the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding the latest modified version of a file within directories

I am trying to look into multiple directories and pluck out the latest version of a specific file, regardless of where it sits within the directory structure. Ex: The file is a .xls file and could have a depth within the directory of anywhere from 1-5 Working directory - Folder1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: co21ss
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the Latest record

Dear All, I have getting data as follows, the second field signifies table name and last one is time stamp. I have return always latest record based on time stamp. Could you please help me ? I/P ==== ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with finding the latest files

Hi, Actually i got a client requirment and i need experts help here. we have 30 parent directories and in that we have so many subdirectories and files. i want to find only latest timestamp files with out touching subdirectories and need to redirect the latest files into some other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lkeswar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding latest file in dir but getting syntax errors

I believe there are couple of syntax issues in my script, couldn't find them :( can someone help me with fixing it to make it work. cd /abcde/ #get the latest filename excluding subdirs filename=`ls -ltr | grep ^- | tail -1 | awk '{print $8}'` #get system date and file timestamp and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
3 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)