Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Why sed command deletes last line in a file if no carriage return? Post 302533536 by Franklin52 on Friday 24th of June 2011 02:54:36 AM
Old 06-24-2011
Have a read of this post:

https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...ne-file.html#5

This is Useless Use of Cat:
Code:
cat lastline.txt | sed 's/SCORE=.*$/SCORE=/g' > newfile.txt

This should be sufficient:
Code:
sed 's/SCORE=.*$/SCORE=/g' lastline.txt > newfile.txt

This User Gave Thanks to Franklin52 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

carriage return/line feeds

Hello, I have a file that has got carriage returns in it and I want to take them out. Anyone know how I can do this in a ksh? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitstop
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing carriage return and newline

Hi, I'm not very familiar with unix shell. I want to replace the combination of two carriage returns and one newline with one carriage return and one newline. I think the best way to do this is to use sed. I tried something like this: sed -e "s#\#\#g" file.txt but it doesn't work. Thanx... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mored
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Carriage Return and or line feed from a file

Hello I'm trying to write a shell script which can remove a carriage return and/or line feed from a file, so the resulting file all ends up on one line. So, I begin with a file like this text in file!<CR> line two!<CR> line three!<CR> END!<CR> And I want to end up with a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tbone231
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete carriage return in SED

Could someone tell me how to do the below without opening the file? (eg in sed or awk) I have a file with the contenst below: $ more file1.txt 10 AAA; 200 BBB; 3 CCC; I want to delete the carriage return of one line above the line which has ";" at the end to get the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete carriage return in SED

Hi everybody! I'm working in one script with sed, I have file with the next content: <voms.db.type value="changeme"/> <voms.db.host value="changeme"/> <voms.admin.smtp.host value="changeme"/> <voms.mysql.admin.password value="changeme"/> <glite.installer.verbose value="true"/> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juedsivi
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use sed to replace whitespace with a carriage return

Greetings I need to replace "whitespace" in a file with the newline character aka carriage return My command is either wrong or not interpreted properly by me shell sed s/" "/\\n" "/g nets > nets1 or sed s/" "/\n" "/g nets > nets1 nets (input file) 13MHZ_IN... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Carriage Return using SED

I am hoping someone can help me with a solution to this problem using SED. My issue is actually two-fold. First, I have an order file that is sent to us from another system, however, there has been a change in current processes that requires a carriage return added to the end of each order. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chino_1
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help to delete carriage return and new line in csv file

Hi All, I have a problem loading the data from a csv file As you see below in the Input ,For the Data starting with " there are 2 lines, which i want to make them into single without changing the format of that data. You can see the desired output below: While i try to open the csv file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlavanya
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Command to add Carriage Return and Line Feed

Hello, Can someone please share a Simple AWK command to append Carriage Return & Line Feed to the end of the file, If the Carriage Return & Line Feed does not exist ! Thanks (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
16 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)