Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retrieve the record using 2,2 lines and display the ouput in columnwise Post 302533210 by Franklin52 on Thursday 23rd of June 2011 04:01:57 AM
Old 06-23-2011
Another one:
Code:
awk -F"[. ]" '/Using/{printf $(NF-2) " - "} /Dumped/{print $2}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

retrieve lines that match a pattern

Hi, I would like to know how can I get lines from a text file that match no more than 2 '>'. Example: Input file: a >cr1 4 a>b b>c a >cr2 5 a>b Output file: a >cr2 5 a>b Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fadista
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to display record spanning over multiple lines

Following are the lines from /etc/sudoers.conf bob SPARC = (OP) ALL : SGI = (OP) ALL fred ALL = (DB) NOPASSWD: ALL ALL CDROM = NOPASSWD: /sbin/umount /CDROM,\ /sbin/mount -o nosuid\,nodev /dev/cd0a /CDROM Could you please help me with shell/perl script to display the records with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ujan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

retrieve lines using sed, grep or awk

Hi, I'm looking for a command to retrieve a block of lines using sed or grep, probably awk if that can do the job. In below example, By searching for words "Third line2" i'm expecting to retrieve the full block starting with 'BEGIN' and ending with 'END' of the search. Example: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learning_linux
3 Replies

4. Programming

How can i retrieve some specific lines from a file using C

Plz tel me how to retrieve some specific set of lines from a file and store it in a char buffer.I am seperating each record by ":" 22:abc:4 hardware:cd:xyz:2 hardware:eth:abc:6 hardware:mouse:xyz:3 hardware:ram:xyz:1 23:cde:3 hardware:cd:xyz:2 hardware:eth:abc:6 hardware:ram:xyz:1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

have to retrieve the distinct values (not duplicate) from 2nd column and display

I have a text file names test2 with 3 columns as below . We have to retrieve the distinct values (not duplicate) from 2nd column and display. I have used the below command but giving some error. NS3303 NS CRAFT LTD NS3303 NS CHIRON VACCINES LTD NS3303 NS ALLIED MEDICARE LTD NS3303 NS... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: shirdi
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve lines from a file in a given date range

Hey, guys! I am trying to retrieve lines from a file in a given date range. I tried using sed -n "/${SDATE}/,/${EDATE}/p" ~/webhits/$FILE | wc -l but that doesn't work if the starting or the end date do not match exactly. If both dates match, there are no problems (for example 25 March 2008 -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oopcho
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to retrieve lines that the first 4 columns have different values

Hi, all: I am not familiar with unix,and just started awk scripts. I want to retrieve lines that have the first 4 columns with different values. For example, the input is like this (tab delimited file with one header) r1 A A A A x r2 A B B A x r3 B B B B x the output should be (header is... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2awkin2011
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with keep the first record display

Input file: 10 TMP_12 asdg 13 TMP_12 asdg 123 TMP_12 pasf 123 ASD qwe 224 AW4 asrfwe 524 AW4 2342 724 AW4 poimv 241 AW4 oiljs . . Desired output file: 10 TMP_12 asdg 13 TMP_12 asdg 123 ASD qwe 224 AW4 asrfwe . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk command to retrieve record 23 and 89 from UNIX file

Hi Everyone, I am looking for awk command to retrieve only the record number 23 and record number 89 from a unix file? Please let me know what is the awk command for this? Regards Rakesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

awk command to retrieve record 23 and 89 from UNIX file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am looking for awk command to retrieve only the record number 23 and record number 89 from a unix file?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
6 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)