Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing "Hidden Characters" on a file Post 302533187 by Jin_ on Thursday 23rd of June 2011 03:10:28 AM
Old 06-23-2011
Removing "Hidden Characters" on a file

Hi -

I'm having a problem with hidden characters on Linux. When I produced an output from Oracle database, there is a an extra "Hidden Character" included on the output. How can I remove that character? See below:

Quote:
InterUnit$
The extra dollar sign is creating a new line on my .csv output file. I tried using sed, but no luck.

Quote:
sed -e 's/"InterUnit$"/"InterUnit"/g' file.csv > file2.csv
Note: The '$' is not being included on HP-UX machines upon my query.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File names that contain "01" act hidden

Haveing an issue. Anytime a file is created with "01" (zero one) in the name - it cannot be viewed by LS or any other file listing command. Although the file is there, it cannot be seen. I can edit it, run it, anything, except see it..... What happened? Any ideas? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: n9ninchd
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove "New line characters" and "spaces" at a time

Dear friends, following is the output of a script from which I want to remove spaces and new-line characters. Example:- Line1 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz Line2 mnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijkl Line3 opqrstuvwxyzabcdefdefg Here in above example, at every starting line there is a “tab” &... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

3. Solaris

removing "/" file system from solaris volume

Hi all, I have created a volume for the root device as d0 and the sub mirror for same is d10. the output from metastat d0 is as below I want to clear these volume , as i cant unmount the "/ " file system , please suggest as how can i clear this. Also the required entries are there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characeter "~V" in a unix file

I have the Unix XML file as below: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <ReportData version="1.0"><DisplayName>Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap - Hybrids</DisplayName><ReportType>MgmtTradingReport</ReportType><Description>Management Trading... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing "^M" from the end of a String (i.e. "Ctrl+M")?

Hello All, I have an Expect script that ssh's to a remote server and runs some commands before exiting. One of the commands I run is the "hostname" Command. After I run this command I save the output using this line in the code below... Basically it executes the hostname command, then I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates on a single "column" (delimited file)

Hello ! I'm quite new to linux but haven't found a script to do this task, unfortunately my knowledge is quite limited on shellscripts... Could you guys help me removing the duplicate lines of a file, based only on a single "column"? For example: M202034357;01/2008;J30RJ021;Ciclo 01... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rufinofr
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
CSV2LATEX(1)						      General Commands Manual						      CSV2LATEX(1)

NAME
csv2latex -- convert a csv file into a LaTeX document SYNOPSIS
csv2latex [--nohead] [--longtable] [--noescape] [--guess] [--separator c|s|t|p|l] [--block q|d|n] [--lines #] [--position l|c|r] [--colorrows 0-1] [--reduce 1|2|3|4] [--repeatheader] [--nohlines] [--novlines] [file] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the csv2latex program. csv2latex is a program that reads a "comma separated values" (csv) file and outputs a LaTeX file with one or more tabular environments to display the printable values of the csv file. The LaTeX code is flushed on the standard output. So-called "comma separated values" files are common formats for exchanging two-dimensinal tables between programs such as spreadsheets edi- tors, to represent almost any kind of data. By default, a csv file is made of printable data separated by commas (`,'), each comma repre- senting a `cell' separator, and each line representing a row. By extension, cell separators can be represented by tabs if the comma is con- sidered as printable data. Moreover, some non true csv files can be assumed as two-dimensional tables as well. In some circumstances, if the printable data includes the cell separator of the exchange format, the latter can use a second extra character to embrace the printable data into a block (e.g: quoted text). Thus, it is still possible to parse the file by using the block delimiter (used twice to embrace the cell) instead of the separator. csv2latex aims to parse various csv formats plus formats that fits into the above definiton, assuming the data is text, and to produce a yet simple LaTeX file using the "tabular" environment for a table-style layout. Some options of output will also use macros provided by extra LaTeX packages that are commonly included in the main LaTeX distributions. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -h --help Show summary of options. -v --version Show version of program. -n --nohead Do not output the LaTeX document header. This is useful when the output is to be included as a separate file into the master document. -t --longtable uses the 'longtable' package instead of the 'tabular' one. This is useful when the input is long, with --lines 0 option. This option uses the extra `longtable' LaTeX package. If you also use --nohead option, do not forget to add the following line into the header of your master document: "usepackage{longtable}". -x --noescape Do not escape TeX control characters from the input. This is useful when the input contains already TeX code. -g --guess Try to guess the csv format. This is useful when the input is not strictly a comma separated set of printable data. For exam- ple, a line like %Foo, Bar%:%Wizz: Hey% may be parsed as "Foo, Bar" then "Wizz: Hey". -s c|s|t|p|l --separator c|s|t|p|l Set the given separator as cell separator of the csv format. `c' means a comma (default). `s' means a semicolon. `t' means a tab. `p' means a space. `l' means a colon. -b q|d|n --block q|d|n Set the given block delimiter that embraces the printable data of the csv format. `q' means a simple quote. `d' means a double quote. `n' means no quoting at all (default). -l # --lines # Force to output multiple tabulars, each having a limited number of lines. The given argument must be a POSITIVE INTEGER VALUE. This is useful when the number of input rows is too big to fit into a single papersheet. A good average for a4 paper is about 40 lines (default). 0 means infinity (actualy about 2 Giga lines). -p l|c|r --position l|c|r Set the text position in all cells at once. This simply uses one of the three basic cell formating options of the LaTeX tabular environment. `l' means left-aligned (default). `c' means centered. `r' means right-aligned. -c 0-1 --colorrows 0-1 Alternate white/gray rows on the LaTeX output, having the given graylevel. The given argument must be a REAL NUMBER BETWEEN 0 AND 1. 0 means black while 1 means white. A nice looking value is 0.75 when printed on white paper. This option uses the extra `colortbl' LaTeX package. If you also use --nohead option, do not forget to add the following line into the header of your mas- ter document: "usepackage{colortbl}". -r 1|2|3|4 --reduce 1|2|3|4 Reduce the size of the tabular and the font in the LaTeX output, given a reduction level. The given argument must be one of 1, 2, 3 or 4. The more the level is high, the more the tabular will appear small. This is useful to shrink the table width when the printable data is made of very long text. This option uses the extra `relsize' LaTeX package. If you also use --nohead option, do not forget to add the following line into the header of your master document: "usepackage{relsize}". -z --nohlines Do not output horizontal lines in the table(s). -y --novlines Do not output vertical lines in the table(s). -e --repeatheader Repeat the first row of the first table in every table. This is useful when the output is very long and separated in multiple tables. EXAMPLES
Create a PDF document with small text, alternate gray rows, 80 lines per table, from a guessed csv format of the january stats that my boss created with his super point-and-click spreadsheet program (which could not generate a PDF output!). csv2latex --guess --lines 80 --colorrows 0.75 --reduce 2 january_stats.csv > january_stats.tex && pdflatex january_stats.tex Quickly preview a phonebook from a file formated as "Surname" "Name" "Phone" "Cellular": csv2latex -s p -b d -l 42 phonebook-sorted.txt | latex SEE ALSO
tex (1), latex (1). CSV2LATEX(1)