Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users unix command for terminal - view sequences as a single line? Post 302533113 by Corona688 on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 06:10:14 PM
Old 06-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentm
Thank you! This is great, does exactly what I need.

I'm having a problem getting it into action though. In my .alias file though, I get a message about an 'unmatched parenthesis' when I source the file, and if I make it into a command .csh file in the /bin dir I get a message about a misplaced ' .
There are a lot of unsolvable quoting problems in csh, among many other flaws, to the point diatribes have been written about it. Its inventor admits he "wasn't too good at programming" when he wrote it. What if you put it in a bourne script with #!/bin/sh instead?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run command Unix on a single line

Hi everybody.. I need to enter in bash mode and then run a command and this just in a single command line. I tried : "bash ^M| somecommand" but nothing.. How do I do to simulate the return button just right after the bash command ? Thanks.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riddick61
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is command line invocation of gnome-terminal to run more than one command possible?

Hello, I am trying to learn how to pass something more than a one-command startup for gnome-terminal. I will give an example of what I'm trying to do here: #! /bin/bash # #TODO write this for gnome and xterm USAGE=" ______________________________________________ ${0##*/} run... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How do you reverse terminal command line to the top?

Hi All, I work on a Linux platform which runs Red Hat (forget which version) and use both korn and bash shells. Is there a way of making the command line appear at the top of the terminal window and any lists, commands or directory names etc to appear below the top, that is to say reverse the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ray_m
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

How to start a new terminal from command line?

Dear All, Anyone knows how to start a new bash terminal from command line? Another question: when I use "open" command (open test.pdf) to open a pdf file, the PDF reader will start up, but cannot associate with that file. Anyone knows why? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrewust
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

View tiled photo thumbnails in command line

Is there a good way of showing around 4 pictures (fairly large thumbnails) at once on the command line, preferably tiled so that all of them are viewable. I tried using display but I'm not sure how to tile them. I'd also prefer if it was read only so that they cannot be altered in the viewer. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cue
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I view doc files from terminal

Sometimes I'm working from terminal for long periods of time and I come across a doc file I don't recognize. I've been trying to figure out how to view it instead of opening up word. I've tried cat but it jumps into binary and my terminal goes nuts. Is there a way I can do this from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syregnar86
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find and display the middle line in a file using single line command.

Hi all, How can i display the middle line of a file using a single line command? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakme Pemmaiah
6 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

A new OSX 10.12.x terminal from the command line.

Hi guys and gals... After much searching on the good ol' internet I could find nothing, so this is the result. ALthough many people seem to have asked this question no-one seems to have a solution so here we go. I need for AudioScope.sh, 'xterm' to run a second program for some of its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
RESIZE(1)						      General Commands Manual							 RESIZE(1)

NAME
resize - set TERMCAP and terminal settings to current xterm window size SYNOPSIS
resize [ -u | -c ] [ -s [ row col ] ] DESCRIPTION
Resize prints a shell command for setting the TERM and TERMCAP environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm window from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command line (usually done with a shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the follow- ing alias could be defined in the user's .cshrc: % alias rs 'set noglob; eval `resize`' After resizing the window, the user would type: % rs Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that don't have command functions will need to send the output to a tempo- rary file and the read it back in with the ``.'' command: $ resize > /tmp/out $ . /tmp/out OPTIONS
The following options may be used with resize: -u This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/sh. -c This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/csh. -s [rows columns] This option indicates that Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the VT100-style xterm escape codes. If rows and columns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change. Note that the Sun console escape sequences are recognized by XFree86 xterm and by dtterm. The resize program may be installed as sunsize, which causes makes it assume the -s option. The rows and columns arguments must appear last; though they are normally associated with the -s option, they are parsed sepa- rately. FILES
/etc/termcap for the base termcap entry to modify. ~/.cshrc user's alias for the command. SEE ALSO
csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1) AUTHORS
Mark Vandevoorde (MIT-Athena), Edward Moy (Berkeley) Copyright (c) 1984, 1985 by X Consortium See X(7) for a complete copyright notice. XFree86 Version 4.7.0 RESIZE(1)